Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

Not to go off topic but why categorise homeless and refugees together. Regarding housing, the needs of both are quite different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Saw the new cycle lane today and like all these bi-directional lanes, as a motorist too, I find it feels extremely disorientating to be cycling on the incorrect side of the road - we are in a left hand drive country but for some reason, it is deemed ok to push cyclists onto the right hand lanes. This is aside from trying to work out how to enter the lane when approaching from the Shannonside of the Ennis Road, how to get into or out of Caherdavin or LIT from the lanes. It'd all stop/start one minute your a cyclist, then your a pedestrian and other times you're a full road user.

Re the cycling clubs using Brookville Ave I would imagine it'll make more sense for them to use the full correct left going towards LIT. They travel at a decent speed anyway and as always, no motorist should overtake unless perfectly safe to do and it's not a solid white line.

The sweeping of cycling lanes in Limerick is woeful. Last week the roadsweeper swept Clonmacken Road, zigzagging in and out of the cycling lane and leaving it in a considerbly worst state than it had been.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The needs are quite the same from the point of view of they need housing provided by the state (or some other body other than themselves) I'm not saying they should be put in the same complex but conversion of a complex from one to another would not take much effort I would think

I'm also not against either being provided for in case you thought that was where I was going with my post

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

And even more unsurprisingly the local NIMBYs residents have appealed to ABP.

• Advertisement

Yes, they are fully entitled to appeal this to ABP. It doesn't change the fact that they're NIMBYs though.

It's very easy to look in and use terms like NIMBYism as it's literally not in our back yards (I'm assuming for yourself - correct me if I'm wrong) but at the end of the day the structure would be far larger than anything on that road already, specifically the houses adjoining and directly across the road.

Plus it's nice to see greedy developers fail

'We're not against housing, just not in that location'. They're the definition of NIMBYs. And you need to get past the idea of greedy developers. The crash was 15 years ago. Without developers, nothing would be built.

Also they're highly unlikely to be successful with their appeal. The project got through LCCC planning twice, with no serious conditions attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

• Registered Users Posts: 26,065 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Advertisement

Having a look through the submissions it looks like the majority want housing in that location, just on a lower scale. So what you say is factually incorrect.

Good point raised by Joe Leddin in his submission that it's planned to be taller and more dense than what council housing allow for

Without developers nothing would be built, without greedy developers more would be built though

Post edited by Red Silurian on

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭LeoD

Wickham Street/High Street plans are available to view. For Limerick I think they're pretty ambitious and has great potential so will be interesting to see how it all works out. It's also good that they are not presenting a single idea which inevitably turns into a yes/no referendum.

https://mypoint.limerick.ie/en/consultation/virtual-public-consultation-room-proposed-wickham-street-clare-street-active-travel-scheme

"A" is a very reasonable plan. C and E will never happen because Carrolls had a hissy fit over the cycling bollards so no way they will allow a full closure. The county Limerick councillors will surely be mobilized by the shop again.

B is so weak you might as well do nothing.

I heard they softened their stance after a few months and may even be in favour of additional motor traffic restrictions having seen the business benefits to the area.

The virtual room seems to have been taken down again so can't remember the 4(?) options exactly but I thought A involved the least amount of change so little more than a stonewashing exercise.

Who would have thought that cleaning up that dump of a street would have been a positive thing 🤣

Business being proven wrong about the impact of pedestrianisation of their street is nothing new but yet the argument repeats every single time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

How do they actually decide which one wins in the end ?

And is no change at all also an option ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Well, it all depends what one (if any) your one who owns Cahill's tobacco shop likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

Are there any details on the second part of the route from High Street to Clare Street? I can't get the drawings to load

• Advertisement

It shouldn't be about picking a winner (or doing nothing either) - the purpose of this is to give people an overview of the various options available and to get their feedback so that when they finally go for Part 8 planning and present a single/final design, everyone doesn't go batshit crazy about not being consulted and it should be based on what people were telling them they would like to see (particularly local businesses). The fact that they are presenting 5 options (which all meet the basic goals of the project) now means nearly all possibilities must be covered but there's nothing to stop the final design being slightly different from the ideas presented now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Application (Ref. 2360247) submitted to the Council to covert the upper floor of Cruises Street Car Park (Denmark Street/Little Ellen Street) to office space.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭sioda

More office space just what the city needs ffs.

These plans are ridiculous tbh

What's ridiculous about them? Looks like a pretty good use of space to me

If a private developer is willing to build office space, it can only be seen as a good sign. The plan is in no way ridiculous.

And the city center does need more modern office space. Get the likes solicitors and architects out of unsuitable Georgian buildings and return these buildings to residential.

Actually a lot of those Georgian buildings were occupied by various professions from the start.

But your right nobody outside of a few long standing Limerick family businesses are gonna want to be in those buildings.

Also the whole reason that O'Connell St. quickly became the place to be for offices was the prestige and there is no prestige having your office in a Georgian building in 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭sioda

Look how much empty office space is in the city and surrounding at the moment add that to the amount that is coming from the opera site.

Limerick needs new apartments not offices.

That is way too simplistic. If private developers believe that there is room for modern office space, even with the Opera development in the pipeline, it means that they see a positive future for Limerick. The Bishops Quay development is to be mainly office space as well. How much of that empty office space is up to standard?

Nowhere outside of Dublin is building apartments on any scale. And in Dublin it's international investment funds financing them. They're too expensive for private developers to build.

UL are looking for permission to convert 3 floors of the Park Point building to student accommodation. I've no idea why they've taken so long to do this considering the lack of student accommodation there for a decade

• Advertisement

The virtual room for the Wickham St to Clare St scheme has been updated with a lot more info which is actually hard to follow, makes little sense now and will confuse everyone. There seems to be 4 overall route proposals (Pink, Blue, Green & Yellow), 3 of which avoid Wickham St. The Yellow route seems to be the preferred option (via Wickham St) and that is split into 2 sections - Purple and Orange. Within the Purple section, there are 5 options (A, B, C, D & E - the ones we saw earlier this week) so good luck to LCCC curating the feedback from all this.

Edit: If you have the time to click around the various options there are some funky animated motor traffic simulations for the 5 purple options which give you an idea of what AADT flow rates would look like in practice.

Advertisement