Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tourist Visa for Ireland for someone from Vietnam.

• 20-01-2022 10:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭grimeire

Hey,

My buddy spent about a year teaching in Vietnam before Covid and met a girl over there. He went over to see her a few times since but he says he cant any more as Vietnam is in lockdown and they are not allowing people in. They have been in lockdown now for the best part of 6 months.

I was telling him why doesnt he bring her over here for a visit but he says its impossible to get a tourist visa for people from Vietnam for Ireland. I find this hard to believe as anytime i go sight seeing there are tourists everywhere. Can anyone else think of a way for her to get a Visa for ireland just so they can see each other for a few weeks. At the moment the only option they have to see each other is to both travel to another country to meet.

Im sick of listening to him at this stage so any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭beachhead

A bit late seeing this post.It is easy to get tourist visa for a VN citizen once you provide all info require.d(see inis.ie)The Irish resident must provide financial statements to show he/she can support the visitor for the visa duration and a signed guarantee to pay al their expenses whilst here.The resident must have a permanent address in Ireland.The VN citizen must send their passport to the Irish Embassy in Hanoi,the resident must courier their documents to the Embassy,also.Decision takes roughly a month(could be less)in normal times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭grimeire

Is this normal that the irish resident has to provide financial statements for a tourist visa? Is this a requirement for all countries from that area?

Anyway he went to some quack of a solicitor who told him to marry her as she wont be able to come over on a tourist visa and the only hope she has of getting over is if they get married. I find this odd as heck as she has never applied for a visa here before he says so cant see why it would be so hard for her to get a tourist visa so she can see what its like before they make up their mind where they want to give things a go.

If are sponsoring a foreign passport holder to come to Ireland.VN citizens require a visa.The visa regs are not negotiable.Go onto the Dept of Foreign Affairs website.Search for embassies/consulates abroad.Find the address in Hanoi for the Irish Embassy.Email them with your questions.They will reply within 3/4 days.Look at inis.ie for documents etc that immigration require from each of you.Hanoi can help too.

The financial statements are to determine your ability to support the visitor.The other party producing proof of income,bank statements,ownership of pproperty will help the process.Again Hanoi will tell you.It is they who make the decision on a visa.

Being married will not make a difference as a foreign marriage may not be recognised.A civil marriage in Ireland would be recognised.Going into the future it might smooth the way for a residence permit(years from now)Your partner would have to come on a tourist visa for one visit.Both of you register your intention to be married in a civil ceremony during her first visit at the nearest convenient Civil Marriage Registration Office.She leaves at the end of her visa.Then returns for the pre arranged date of the ceremony.I expect you'll be told the first to the office and the ceremony date must be 3 or more months apart.

I've never heard tell of the whole Irish resident has to provide evidence they can support the visitor financially...

I messaged a Vietnamese friend of mine and she said that they have to provide their own proof of funds but has never heard of the Irish person having to essentially sponsor them.

She has stayed with me before and I've never heard of that either.

But having a quick look online, it does seem the Irish person does need to provide proof of funds.

But as Beachhead says, tell her to contact the embassy to find out exactly what she needs. The notion he has to marry her to visit is definitely bollocks.

• Advertisement

I never made any comment about "having" to marry.So bollixs to that.I said marriage could help in the future to obtain residency.

The VN citizen must provide an address and proof of funds is correct but not necessary if the Irish citizen can provide same.Ask,ask,ask the Hanoi Embassy for up to date regs.They decide on the granting of a visa

I wasn't attacking you regarding the marriage thing. The solicitor OP's friend went told him to marry her...it's post #4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭grimeire

Thanks all.

It sounds harder to get into ireland than the US. I thought he was just getting bad advise.

He said he went down the route of a tourist visa after I was last taking to him and they got rejected for a number of reasons one being that she has no reason to go back. She makes not much less than him a month at around $1500.

Seems all very odd to me but wouldnt be surprised if there was more to it.

Advertisement