Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,409 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Don't let the door hit ya, where the good lord split ya!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Likewise , first thing I did was check multiple sites..

That is absolutely huge.

The details will be critical here , have Fox fired him for his central role in the Dominion nonsense ?

Or perhaps have they parted ways because Tucker refused to align with whatever new editorial rules that are being introduced to try to prevent future law-suits?

The big question is where is he going to end up? Newmax perhaps?

To my knowledge none of the big names that have left Fox in the last ~10 years or so have amounted to very much following their departure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭francois

Tuck off Tucker

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Man, there'll be one HELL of an NDA there.

"Blah blah blah. Integrity. Blah blah blah"

From both sides

Seems like Ron is not taking well the news that he's losing by some margin to Trump..

Destined to be one of those clips that'll be played repeatedly by his opponents on the trail.

Very weird stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,408 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

To my knowledge none of the big names that have left Fox in the last ~10 years or so have amounted to very much following their departure.

Speaking of which guess who finally got some amounting done the other week after the settlement

As for Tucker's downfall it's simple to track. Jon Stewart will probably have a whole podcast about it honestly.

See, Tucker long knew a trick from Bill O'Reilly, the trick about a media persona, a much younger, somehow just as fratty Tucker Carlson wrote in book format of Bill O'Reilly:

“Bill O’Reilly’s success is built on the perception that he really is who he claims to be. If he ever gets caught out of character, it’s over. That’s right. I said before that that, you know, Bill O’Reilly is really talented, more talented than I am. You know, he’s got a lot more viewers, and I know he’s a better communicator than I am. But I think there’s kind of a deep phoniness at the center of his shtick. And again, as I say, the shtick is sort of built on this perception that he is the character he plays. He is everyman, this kind of, he’s not right-wing. He’s a populist, this kind of Irish-Catholic populist fighting for you against the powers that be. And that’s great as a shtick. But I’m just saying, the moment that it’s revealed not to be true, it’s over. The moment he gets caught, you know, slapping a flight attendant on the Concorde for not bringing his champagne fast enough or barking at, you know, one of his subordinates to take the brown M&M out of my bowl and give me a bottle of Evian or something like that.

"The second that makes Page Six, it’s over. Right? Because the whole thing is predicated on the fact that he is who he says he is. And just nobody is that person, especially not someone who makes $1,000,000, you know, many millions a year.”

This defamation suit, TLDR, was Tucker Carlson's page six. Nobody is buying what he's selling anymore. The whole thing was predicated on the fact that Tucker was just really sincere in his JAQing off and fawning praise of Donald Trump. Now we know none of that is true, for absolute proof, and it's over. Ironically he will be most remembered as a man confused about his own sexual feelings toward an M&M.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It'll be like those announcements you get in the large Corporates when a high level VP gets the bullet for missing revenue goals.

"Leaving to spend more time with their family"

"Leaving to focus on their non-profit Charity work"

"Leaving to pursue their passions in another field"

All code for - They were fired for costing/losing us money.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Could he be resigning to be trump's vp pick?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Kalyke

And now Don Lemon gone from CNN

• Advertisement

Reading the NYT article on this and they mention that Tucker is being sued by Abby Grossberg - The Producer that provided a lot of the inside scoop info for the Dominion case.

Mr. Carlson is also facing a lawsuit from a former Fox News producer, Abby Grossberg, who claims that he presided over a misogynistic and discriminatory workplace culture. Ms. Grossberg said in the lawsuit, which was filed in March, that on her first day working for Mr. Carlson, she discovered the work space was decorated with large pictures of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi wearing a swimsuit.

Ms. Grossberg, who was fired after filing the lawsuit, also claimed that after she was coerced by Fox’s lawyers into providing a misleading deposition in the Dominion trial and defending an offensive text from Mr. Carlson, his producers emailed the rest of the staff in recognition of “Abby Day” and suggested ordering a staff lunch to celebrate.

I wonder are they seeing the writing on the wall and off-loading him before another big payout a-la Bill O'Reilly?

It may also be something of a performative act to sooth the Shareholders - They had to be seen to do something in response to the loss of the case.

Also - In the comments section of the above article a few have posited the Carlson getting fired was part of the settlement agreement with Dominion - The details of the deal are sealed so we may never know for sure , but it's nice to think that that is a possible reason for his ouster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

My favourite comment on it so far is 'I'm sure who gets his time slot will be a great replacement'

• Registered Users Posts: 60,549 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Any chance Tucker could now join Trump as his running mate?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

In fairness, I think Tucker Carlson will be alright without Fox News. For example, he'd make unreal money following in the footsteps of Rush Limbaugh on talk radio over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭banie01

In a freaky Friday remake, it turns out that Lemon and Carlson have really just swapped jobs 😉😁

Washington Post creamed itself. The top story and several secondaries

The problem is that all of these provocateurs will always be "alright" , they never actually get held accountable. It's the people who's brains they turn inside out with their lies that end up paying for it all.

No doubt Carlson got a hefty termination fee from Fox for exiting his contract early and like you say he could probably write his own cheque to go to some other outlet and he also could charge massive amounts on the speaking circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,853 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Chuck Todd for the triple please.

MediaITE answered my next question:

“That’s it for us for the week. We’ll be back,” he concluded. “By the way, the entire episode of ‘Let Them Eat Bugs’ — not quite as good as pizza — streaming now on Fox Nation. Use the promo code ‘Originals’ for 30 days free. And we’ll be back on Monday. In the meantime, have the best weekend ever with the ones that you love, and we’ll see you then.

Your Moment of Zen in the video from above article.

"It's a disgusting [pizza] order, but I have no shame." - Tucker Carlson.

All this talk of whether Tucker will be alright afterwards, remember...

This little **** banged on about the elites 24/7 was an heir to a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Tucker was protected by a whole lot of small-print disclaimers that only get trotted out when Fox News or some other mouthpiece American news network gets taken to task on the inflammatory misinformation they merrily propagate for huge profits. If Tucker wants to go solo, he'll study Alex Jones in a number of ways, and one will be how to keep within the parameters of 'performance artist', as Alex Jones failed to do.

But a true popcorn moment would be Tucker deciding to enter politics, and given that he's on record saying (via text) that he passionately hates Trump, it would either be as Trump's running mate, which would be hilarious, or try to join with DeSantis and have to withstand the clubbing blows and sticky nicknames of Trump, which would also be hilarious. It's all a distinct second as a possibility, but it would still be hilarious, nevertheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,354 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Tucker fired by Murdoch over Abby Grossberg case. That Dominion could have got it as part of settlement, just another conspiracy theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Theres gonna be a big dropoff in those kinds of shows coming as automakers in the US are dropping am radios which is where the vast majority of those conservative shows broadcast

• Registered Users Posts: 19,189 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Ya know, for all this Dominion thing, behind the scenes Faux News must really be seething at the Trump admin right about now, since it was their lie that got them into so much bother. And yet, because they're nothing more than a right wing propaganda outlet designed at targeting stupid people, they're hog tied to Trump and his band of shitbags.

😆

Carlson will never ever enter politics , it's infinitely more lucrative to talk about politics without having to actually get elected.

His problem is that now, as other posters have pointed out his real opinions have been exposed.

He hates Trump , he thinks that his supporters are morons , he doesn't believe the election was stolen etc.

By all accounts there are even more things to come out as part of the Abby Grossberg litigation - She has a large volume of recordings and text/emails involving Carlson which are likely to be massively damaging to him and to Fox.

Sadly he will just get replaced by another mouthpiece who will continue to spout endless lies and twisted truths.

I have already seen right wingers online bigging up Jesse Waters as being "the last remaining true voice on Fox".

Jesse Waters....The morons moron , I mean what could go wrong..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

ct/ Ehh. I'm sure Shammity was in on the early strategizing discussions before the election. I'm sure there're powerpoints somewhere... /ct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd say the Abby Grossberg stuff will go the way of the accusations against Bill O'Reilly; throw money at them to settle out of court, and for substantially less than the Dominion settlement. It's pennies on the dollar at this stage.

Like you say, Carlson's biggest problem for his future is that he's been exposed. Fox viewers don't want to know they're being lied to, they want to believe they're watching the only channel that tells them the truth. What the Dominion case has done is expose Carlson as not telling them the truth (or in some cases, not believing what the viewer thinks to be the truth). Carlson has also for years been the one who has repeatedly skirted closest to the line of acceptability & legality. He's peddled and propagated more conspiracy theories in ways that open Fox up to potential liabilities. He's ultimately not subtle enough for what Fox needs him to do.

No doubt he'll do a Glenn Beck or Rush Limbaugh and focus on radio, which is a huge thing in conservative America. I think I read even Hannity makes far more from his radio content than he does on Fox News, and that Fox is basically just an advert for his radio show.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement