Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,630 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

There's a media outlet titled Showbizz Daily running a story about another woman, Karen McDougal, a Playboy magazine model Trump was allegedly seeing around the same period [2006/2007] as Stormy Daniels. It's reported that DA Bragg investigated whether Karen McDougal also received hush money to keep quiet during the 2016 election period to avoid Trump losing votes, with two witnesses, who offered information about the McDougal case, giving testimony to the Grand Jury. The McDougal payment story is also in the Wall Street Journal.

It's reported a larger sum of money was paid to Karen than to Stormy, with it being routed through a non-disclosure deal with The National Inquirer owned by a friend of Trump. The Inquirer never printed anything about the alleged affair between Trump and McDougal. The story also mentions the payoff was done around the time Trumps wife gave birth to their son Barron. It's also reported that an investigation was carried out by authorities into the McDougal story in 2018 around the time the Stormy Daniels revelations broke.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well if Americans are disinterested in this case, as some here have recently spoofed ... it's not reflective in the polls: 53% of those asked believe Trump acted illegally, and knowingly so. Only 20% think he did nothing wrong.

Crucially, 57% of independents thought he committed an illegal act, while only 45% of republicans think he's innocent of wrongdoing. The rest are split between trump's culpability, unknowingly criminality and ignorance(!) but IMO it's fascinating because to me this reminds that the 2024 candidacy is no slam dunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,343 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yeah, McDougal got $150,000. NDA doesn't hold if it's got to do with a crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

If I have read that correctly, only 25% of independents think favorably of Trump which is an absolute disaster. He's not winning the EC with those numbers.

Its infuriating for the GOP, Biden's numbers are mediocre, but it doesn't matter because an election between the two of them turns into a referendum on Trump and that's a disaster for Trump. The GOP could be looking at losing the HOF and favorable senate seats which is astonishing as the senate map is relatively kind for them.

Hopefully it'll now be a matter for more and more Republican voters to realise that Trump committed criminal acts in his bids to retain the presidency and accept that [in truth] he did it not for the party but for himself, that his trial for his attempt to corruptly steal the Georgia election should prove to be the nail in the coffin for his 2024 bid. The attempts made to buy the silence of women he had affairs with is the proof that Trump is corrupt from the core out, that loyalty to him is the measure he judges peoples' worth by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,412 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

For that to happen they would have to admit that he fooled them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭amandstu

They don't need to look at themselves ; just agree that another candidate has a better chance at winning the presidency.

As for being fooled they are probably as culpable as he is ,just never got the opportunity.

He probably honed that skill on "The Apprentice".

I dislike having to use the word "probably" but where Trump is concerned legally, I use it as he cant be counted as down and out yet. This is his latest legal move and probably is intended to ensure he remains visible to his supporters and stays in their electoral minds. Hope springs eternal etc.

FORMER US PRESIDENT Donald Trump has sued the key witness in his criminal case, accusing one-time lawyer and fixer Michael Cohen of “vast reputational harm” for talking publicly about the hush-money payments at the heart of the case. The lawsuit, filed in Miami, offered a preview of arguments that are sure to be featured in Trump’s defence against charges that he falsified internal business records to disguise payments made during the 2016 presidential campaign to silence claims of extramarital sexual encounters. The suit accused Cohen of breaking a confidentiality agreement he signed as a condition of his employment, violating ethical standards for lawyers and “spreading falsehoods” about Trump “with malicious intent and to wholly self-serving ends.”

It seeks more than half a billion dollars from Cohen. Trump is not specifically suing Cohen over his grand jury testimony in the criminal case, but he cites it in support of an argument that his ex-lawyer sought to profit from his role through the publication of two books, a podcast series and media appearances.

Cohen’s spokesman, lawyer Lanny Davis, said the lawsuit will not deter Cohen’s cooperation with prosecutors. “Mr Trump appears once again to be using and abusing the judicial system as a form of harassment and intimidation against Michael Cohen,” Davis said. “It appears he is terrified by his looming legal perils and is attempting to send a message to other potential witnesses who are cooperating with prosecutors against him.” JOURNAL.IE.....

The next two paragraphs are included in the Journal.ie report I took all this from and concern historical facts not necessarily directed to Trumps latest law suit against those he does not like or employ. The third sentence from Mr Davis seems to refer to Trumps latest law suit.

The suit is the latest effort by Trump to use the legal system to go after his political enemies and is another example of the former president turning on a once-loyal aide after their relationship imploded.

A judge in Florida sanctioned Trump and one of his lawyers in January, ordering them to pay nearly one million dollars for filing what he said was a bogus lawsuit against Trump’s 2016 rival Hillary Clinton and others.

Davis predicted this lawsuit would also fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,412 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

He is admitting that everything Cohen said was correct. I'm not sure that is the win he thinks it is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

This is purely an intimidation tactic , trying to get Cohen to back down in fear of losing this suit.

His suit against Cohen completely undermines his defence in the NY case.

If Cohen "breached Confidentiality" that that mean that de facto what Cohen has said is true which defeats his defence in New York - If Cohen was lying then the potential charge would be defamation.

Especially the part of the suit where it claims that Cohen talked publicly about the hush-money payments. Whatever about testifying before a closed hearing Grand Jury where the testimony is closed until a judge unseals it at a later date in court, to try such a suit when Cohen may be called to give testimony in any trial in open court as a witness. let alone in the suit he's apparently bringing against Cohen. "Your Honour, we don't like the honest answers Mr Cohen is giving me and my client, Mr Trump. Please direct him to give the answers I want". How does a lawyer proceed with a suit on behalf of a client like Trump? I presume any lawyer worth salt would insist in payment up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭Christy42

Even the attitude on here shifted to it is unimportant a while back when it became obvious he was guilty.

The essential reason to go forward with a trial is to get a jury of his peers, R and D, to pass a just verdict that he is guilty as charged. Two follow-up reasons are to pass a sentence which will hurt him publicly by draining voter support from him AND lessening donor cash contributions to any fund he's connected to by name. If he's forced to resort to his own personal funds AND not donor cash to pay for his legal defence. the better it is.

Tag him with a criminal court conviction label for life by way of a jury trial of his peers and not in his own chosen "lock her/him up" style of convicting people without a trial. Ensure, as far as possible, that like-minded people on the R front [which there seem to be dozens of] are dissuaded from following his style of politics. To use one of his political slogans, "drain the swamp" which he has made of the Republican party.

One of Trump's lawyers, Evan Corcoran, has had to recuse himself from acting for Trump in the Mar-A-Lago secret documents case as they lost an appeal court suit to overturn a ruling that Corcoran would have to testify before a Grand Jury hearing into the issue of Trump's possession of the documents at Mar-A-Lago. Corcoran will still be acting as attorney in Trumps other cases.

In other news, Trumps campaign says that he raised $14.4 Million for it in the 1st quarter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,302 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Fox news have settled with Dominiion for the tiny amount of $787,5MM. To put that in perspective Dominion valued themselves at between $30MM to $80MM and sued Fox for 1.6 billion and are still going after the likes of Rudy etc. Will be interesting to see how much things changes in reporting of Trump going forward based on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

I wouldn't expect much of a change

They dropped out of favour with trump for a while and joined the fake news brigade.

But like the GOP they have to appeal to their base viewers, even though they state that only people lacking in any reasonable intelligence, or worse believe anything some of their hosts say on their network

Hard to know how much Rupert is involved these days as he is after all 90! However I can't believe that a man as ruthless as him must not be fuming with Trump at the moment and not want some vengeance. I assume they for the primary season at least ignore him and then see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,435 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Pity he's outlasted his character in Succession.

With one more court case due against Fox News Corp by another firm on the issue of Fox lying to the public with pro-Trump fake news and causing damage to the other firm as a result, the Fox News insurance coverage fund must be taking a deep hit now. I think a test on how much disfavour Trump is in with Fox News may be shown on how much pro-Trump material is shown on Fox in the next few months and which Fox News personality will be doing the presenting. If Trump items are going to appear/be shown on Fox News, there will probably be lead-out mention of the segments, even if they are publicized from Trump's own platform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,343 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Trump is the likely GOP candidate. Fox will be all over him, money talks and viewership critical.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,302 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Tucker Carlson just "parted ways" with Fox, now I can only really see two reasons. A) Fox told him to stop lying about Trump all the time to avoid another lawsuit or B) He's been given a really outragously good deal somewhere else but no clue who'd want him AND be able to afford him...

Worth waiting for US investigative journalists to dig out the reason and other media to release it verbatim, unless Donald rushes to his aid and torpedo's him.

Its possible in the settled lawsuit with dominion a provision may have been Tucker had to go?

He was not as all in as others were in the conservative ecosphere but he was obviously the most prominent.

If it was his call to go I would assume he would at least got a farewell show.

I dunno his plans now, OANN and Newsmax have massive lawsuits to deal with over the "stolen election" drivel so unlikely their.

Dailywire would be a good shout, but he may just sit out for a while and see what happens.

Tucker leaks like hell tbf to journos across the political spectrum so we will know soon enough.

Tucker from all accounts hates Trump so if the dominion lawsuit was the final straw would be hilarious especially as he is on record for saying its nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Is Jordan Klepper still the guest on The Daily Show? I'd love him to break this news.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,953 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

No it's Desi Lydic this week she tends to go the old colbert route and satirise the GOP by taking everything to it's most extreme so will be a good one

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

None of them can afford to pay him what he was getting at Fox. There’s something huge brewing here, I hope.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,953 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

She is the producer who flipped sides so it is indirectly related to the whole dominion thing.

Advertisement