Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

online auction highest bid

Options
  • 24-04-2023 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭

hi,

if you are the highest bidder in an online auction and contact the auction house to withdraw the bid before the auction is closed and they refuse - is there any recourse here?

Kind regards,#R

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

What do the terms and conditions say? What did you agree to when you signed up? Which auction is it and we can take a look?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭riddles

thanks here are the TOC

It says the aunctioneer can treat bids at their discretion

ACCEPTANCE OF BIDS

• All bids shall be treated as offers made upon the conditions of sale. Confirming your bid is a commitment to buy and is legally binding.
    • The highest approved bidder shall be the Purchaser, and if any dispute arises as to a bid, the lot in dispute may be put up again at the last undisputed bid and any dispute whatever in respect of the property or the sale and delivery of the goods shall be determined by the auctioneer, or in his absence by the Clerk of the sale.
    • The bidding shall be regulated by the auctioneer as the sale proceeds, and no bidding shall be retracted.
    • The auctioneer has the right to refuse any bid at his absolute discretion.
    • The auctioneer shall be at liberty to group together any lots, or to divide any lots during the progress of the sale, and in the case of lots upon which there is a reserve, the auctioneer or his clerk shall have the right to bid on behalf of the vendor, or to withdraw the goods from sale.
    • The auctioneer accepts no liability for any failure or delay on placing bids or any errors contained in bids placed via the online bidding service. By choosing to use our online bidding service you agree that you are doing so entirely at your own risk.
    • The auctioneer accept no liability for delay, disruption or interruption of auction activity in the event of, but not limited to, technical problems, power cuts, electrical failure, fire, flooding and other acts of human error.
    • The auctioneer reserves the right to modify the Date or Start Time of Beginning of Auction at its discretion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

It seems pretty clear in stating that "no bidding shall be retracted".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,816 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The auctioneer has discretion on accepting bids but it's quite clear bids can't be retracted. Much as you'd expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

It wouldn't matter.

It would be highly unusual for any auctioneer to allow you withdraw a bid unless there was misrepresentation in the sale item or some other extraneous reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭riddles

i am pretty new to Art auctions on reflection I felt the counter bids were pretty constant as in a set response to my bids until the guide price was exceeded - dare I say script or Bot anyone have a similar feeling?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Possible alright, sniping tools are not uncommon on ebay and the likes - however, you were in control of your own bids at the time you placed them so if other bidders made use of sniping tools you bid still bid higher than whatever limit they had set for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

autobids.

I can place a maximum level I will go and not actually be online. the system will keep bidding up by the set increment until my max has been exceeded.

Most auctions permit this.

Pre-internet you could lodge a max bid with the auctioneer (and you can still do this too)

Advertisement