Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we heading for another summer of discontent at Dublin Airport ?

Options
  • 03-02-2023 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭wangchung

I believe that many companies , including DAA and the airlines , are struggling to maintain their current staff numbers and to employ new staff. This doesn't bode well for the coming summer with all the extra flights that airlines are putting on. More than likely ,the number of passengers travelling into and out of Dublin are going to equal if not exceed pre Covid levels. People are not going to want to work under such pressure with the pay conditions and working conditions being offered there.

St Patrick's weekend will be a marker ,followed by Easter, which should give an indication how things are going to pan out.

I don't think the airport has any plan of sorts to handle the increase in business yet and again , will 'wing ' it like they did last year ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Its Ireland, and more importantly DAA, so more than likely we will see a repeat of long queues, half baked excuses given by junior management and the senior directors nowhere to be seen.

I agree the staffing is a huge issue. Personally i dont see the appeal to a job like airport security. The money and conditions are crap, the general public can be very difficult to deal with and career progression is non existent. I dont know what corporate spin they are putting on these campaigns to get people into that job but clearly from the high turnover its not working.

Got your [unpopular] answer off Wanderer there OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,243 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

If you can't get or retain staff you aren't paying enough and/or treating them right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Given the series of drone incidents (another tonight) the chaos might have already begun.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Basically next time I’m flying… I’m turning up about 4 hours before I fly and purchasing fast track….I remember when heading to the airport used to be an enjoyable aspect of the holiday…. Checking in was 15 minutes , security screening…20 minutes worse case….….go stroll around the shops, get some food and drinks.. some snacks & reading material for the flight ….go to gate and board…

Dublin airport need to invest in manning up, training and putting screening staff on line before peak hits… no ifs buts or maybes.

• Advertisement

Its all about the money at the end of the day. If you dont pay people a decent wage then all of your plans for putting in screening staff etc is pointless. None of the folks in senior management at DAA will ever see a hungry day, given their obsene wages but they seem happy enough to not change one iota of their wages and benefits for the staff on the end of the ladder.

The days of people staying in crap jobs is fading away, particularly amongst younger people. If they arent happy they will go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Are you willing to pay more for your flights? Because I'm not.

Or here is a mad concept for you. Why arent the salaries of these board directors revised downwards massively? Its private sector so they have no union to back them up. They are already extremely overpaid for incompetency as it is.

As for paying more, you seem to think the current situation is acceptable? Dont forget thousands of people ended up missing their flights last year because of the poor planning and low staff levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,071 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Would you rather pay marginally more for a flight, or risk not making your flight at all?

• Do these staff enjoy any perks at all? Maybe like flights discounts (eg Dublin Airport charges knocked off air fares. There’s got to be something travel-related that makes it that bit extra good to be working in an environment serving people on their travels.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You are right it is all about the money.... and if the government is not willing to pump in tax payers money and the public are not will to pay more you can't pay anyone decent wages are s you call it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 TuamJ

No. I knew a chap who did it and he slept in the car between shifts then in winter he'd get the bare minimum hours. He lasted less than 2 years before packing it in and heading off to London.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

The problem seems to be that the DAA directors/management went on a cost reduction drive during covid. They then kept the cost reductions even when covid ended (never waste a good emergency to implement changes). Hotels have done the same and have not brought back the same cleaning crews/schedules once covid ended. They are maximising profits to the expense of employees. They got caught out last summer but they unfortunately seem to be doubling down.

Employers need to stop moving the profit percentage to shareholders and bring it back to the employees in a fairer manner. This shareholder maximisation is only going to get worse - very American based.

Nope.

Twice Ive wrked at the airport. Now this was 2002-2003 but then, no free parking for employees. There was a subsidy but it was a convoluted mess, and the carpark was half a mile, or what felt like half a mle from the airport itself. Strange shift hours. 4am to 11am, etc.

The drone activity = cancelled flights = angry travellers, and pretty much whatever job you do in the airport, angry travellers will take it out on you eventually.

Working at the airport, nomatter what the job is difficult. No wonder people are leaving. There are tons of jobs available, floor sweeper in McDonalds in City Centre when you you live in North Wall is a much more attractive job than Floor Sweeper all the way out in Dublin Airport.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 20 johnfrank1967

There should be no delays this year as passports are not necessary to travel through the airport.

Theres a dozen other reasons for delays in an airport.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Unless you are flying within the CTA, you are going to find that no airline will board you without a valid passport. They are fined and must return at their expense any passenger refused landing.

• Shortage of Air Traffic Controllers is bound to have further impact on flights, especially the busy summer schedules.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

All of you saying the money is low? I’ve worked in daa for a few years and I’m on €22 per hour now for an entry level job, no degree required. Every second weekend off and €500 one4all voucher each year. Shifts are bad sometimes (4am starts) but you get used to it and if you don’t want to do them you can swap with your fellow employees!

tell me where else your gonna get this money without a degree. And an easy job at that

Production job in a pharmaceutical factory doesnt require a degree and you are coming out with much more cash than that, even more on shift work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement