Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭RidleyJones

Of course some players will leave, you can't keep a slot for everyone and Murphy for instance hadn't really progressed to the point he could see a future. But if you are looking at the likes of Penny/Deegan etc I don't really see why they would leave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The pasting not withstanding, and the leadership void on view, shows how important Ruddock is.

Agree on the comments re: Brownlee. Fine looking prospect.

Turner is just superb!

The nippers are aware of the physicality and what being up against the kosher looks like. Bulls were full value for the win. Evans was poor. We'd still have lost by a large margin regardless.

Nick McCarthy is just AIL level. He brings so little.

Disagree on Lee Barron, he's got a year left to progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

Jeez, the injuries are coming at the wrong time.

Although I thought Ngatai's season was done last week .. probably a week too soon for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Who starts between Jenkins and Moloney is an interesting one.

Moloney has started the last few games ahead of Jenkins Against Ulster and Leciester.. but when racing big pack came to town in December it was Jenkins who started.

With the likes of Arnold and Meafou likely to come back in for Toulouse. You'd imagine Jenkins size might be needed to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'm not sure we win without one of VDF or Baird in the side. We need that extra bit of physicality they bring, especially against a team the size of Toulouse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The Racing pack who played in Dublin in January was very lightweight. They had 5 back rowers and no real lock. Joe McCarthy started for Leinster and Jenkins was not in the 23 (Molony was).

Are you talking about a different game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

With no Sexton, Lowe or van der Flier I'm feeling very pessimistic about this one. All three were absolutely instrumental in beating Toulouse at this stage last season, the three best players on the pitch by a stretch as far as I remember. The current Toulouse are a lot fresher than they were when we played them after their 100 minute game vs Munster.

As good as Jimmy O'Brien is, he's just not at Lowe's level. O'Brien played in this game at 14 last season, but from my memory didn't particularly stand out. Compare that to Lowe who scored two tries, carried for 105 meters and kicked to perfection. Our fourth try, scored by Keenan, was setup after a gut busting run and strong carry from Lowe down the right.

Sexton had the game of the season that afternoon too. He was man of the match, directly assisting three tries. He had a lovely inside pass for Lowe's first try, dummy and line break with an excellent deep pass to van der Flier to score for the second one, and a long arcing pass over the entire Toulouse defence to allow Lowe to walk in for his second and our third. He also kicked 100% of his kicks for 15 points. Ross will kick the kicks, but we'll need someone else to step in at first receiver to run the back line. Annoyingly, that person is usually Lowe or van der Flier. We've used Larmour there a little bit this season, but he's just not very effective due to his size.

Similarly, van der Flier was everywhere in that game, including on the score sheet with a strong finish through three defenders. Penny is a step down for sure (anyone would be a step down), but despite van der Flier's World Player of the Year accolade and good form, I think he's the gap we can fill the most effectively with Penny / Connors / Doris or whoever we decide to pick at 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭letsbefair

Your glass is half empty ! We’re a much better team this year, Larmour is a serious international level player, we’re at home. We’re not losing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,174 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

As important as those players are, I don't think it is enough to swing the balance against us given our home advantage.

Its quite important to slow down Toulouse's on front foot so no VDF or Baird is as blow. I'd almost be tempted to play Connors but that would be a big ask given he was in SA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I meant the racing match in December (it was away). Jenkins and Ryan started and Moloney was on the bench.

Saying that.. that Racing pack wasn't massive either

• Advertisement

Kolisi won't be available for the Sharks when we play them. Suffered a serious knee injury last weekend. Etzebeth is already out for them as well.

That's awful and a very tough call with the World cup coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Will he try to do a Richie McCaw and play the RWC on one leg?

Yep, it's a big decision to make. Playing in the WC is obviously a huge thing, especially if you're South Africas captain. But he's risking his mega payday with Racing if he gets injured in the tournament. Which is a possibility if he's already coming into it hurt.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Toulouse have their own injuries too , both Capuazzo and Jaminet are out.

Post edited by SaoPaulo41 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

!!LEVEL UP!!

old: "how do you know he liked the place"

new: "why is it relevant that he liked the place"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Down to their last two international full backs now

"After this international full back... and the next one...."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

You're flailing around in a bad way here.

I've been absolutely consistent that Conway's personal like or dislike wouldn't/shouldn't come into it if other young potential star player are assessing the situation in regards their choices. Here is from the previous post you're misquoting:

As I said before, it doesn't matter why he stayed as his personal feelings don't come into it when others are looking at the facts...

The only thing that seems to be '!!LEVEL UP!!' is how much you've been triggered by my mention of my opinion of Conway in a post in a Leinster thread, where I caveated in the very same sentence that he and Jones weren't as strong an example and noted that Munster fans would likely disagree with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭ersatz

Who else in the league would put that score on the same Leinster team, even considierng the chaotic prep and injuries? Not many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭ersatz

-You wouldn’t convince anyone to join Munster based on Conway’s story.

Why not? There was loads of competition on the wing and loads more coming when he left. Would he have had first team regular rugby, who knows but he got plenty in Munster and a heap of Irish honours. I doubt very strongly that he has any regrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It didn’t make them though either. There is a valid point in there. Carbery was already second choice when he left. Now look at him. Conway was breaking into the Leinster 23 and was playing 80 in 2 finals in 2013 ahead of Dave Kearney. Fast forward a couple of years and he’s playing Wolfhound games when Dave is starting for Ireland. If people want players to move they need to point to success stories to encourage it. There are precious few of those at the moment really. Conway might be considered one but there’s a strong case against that.

Theres a difference though between saying that and claiming that moves like his or Jones’ were failures or mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Another strawman - no one said he has regrets about the move. It says a lot that posters keep trying to counter arguments that aren't being made.

There was some competition on the wing at Leinster but he would have been a consistent starter and gotten all the minutes he needed. Isa was reaching retirement (only really returned later because of how few options the team had), Horgan had retired, Luke was permanently crocked, and the others he was competing with were McFadden and D Kearney - legends of the province but not top quality. Lamour came through years later and Lowe probably wouldnt have been brought in if Leinster had Conway.

If anything, Conway is an example of how quickly circumstances can change at a team, where one can see their pathway blocked and they end up getting all the minutes they could want - which is a pretty common occurrence. He's had a good career but has won nothing at provincial level and never got near the expectations many had for him coming through.

For all the talk about hype of Prendergast last week, the hype for Conway was to the moon. Whether he would have reached there with Leinster is up for debate, personally I think playing with better players in a better system with better coaches would have elevated his game, he might have never reached the levels of the hype but he would have been far closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭collybyrne

Hi All. I'm going to be in Sheffield on Saturday afternoon when the game is on. Could anyone here advise a pub that is likely to be showing the match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

Just a note that there will be rail disruption this weekend, no trains between Bray and Dun Laoghaire on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Conway was breaking into the Leinster 23 and was playing 80 in 2 finals in 2013 ahead of Dave Kearney. Fast forward a couple of years and he’s playing Wolfhound games when Dave is starting for Ireland. 

I'm sorry but this isn't accurate. Dave Kearney was firmly ahead of Conway until the O'Connell incident pretty much ended his season.

Conway was behind Kearney, McFadden, Fitzgerald and Nacewa (who was contracted for another season). Obviously Nacewa ended up leaving early, and Fitzgerald and DK went on to have major injury issues, but at the time of the decision it was a no-brainer for Conway.

Maybe Conway left because Leinster had too big a budget? His plan could have been to distract pundits from the billions that Leinster spend monthly. Lol

Why is the focus on Conway? There's lot's of players who have left or cut. Beirne? Cooney?

Conway made the right decision at that time for himself. He's done well.

Now, why didn't Munster sign Nick McCarthy to a lifetime contract? Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Nah. I have it on good authority that he saw a ten year old Sam Prendergast playing schools rugby and realised that eventually Sam would leave no room for him (or anyone else) on the hype train so he got ahead of it and left the province.

Advertisement