Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Succession [HBO] *Spoilers*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Wow, I would've said Roman was youngest and that's why Logan manipulated* him most.

*not sure is manipulated is the right word

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I always thought Roman was the youngest as well. Not sure it was ever said but from the way the others treated him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

There's still an element of that, especially given that he's younger than Kendall and Kendall always seemed to be the one being primed to succeed Logan. Roman in many ways had to fight harder to build up into higher roles within the organisation, but that also made him more susceptible to being manipulated or swayed by Logan in order to please him.

Shiv in many ways had to do the same but veered more towards trying to impress Logan from the outside and trying too hard to show initiative so he'd eventually bring her in.

But even regardless of age, Roman is clearly the least mature of them all so probably took on the role of the youngest Roy by default anyway.

If Greg tries Tom is going to lock Greg up in his basement and rename him Reek.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

I'm an emotional wreck. Shiv's shaking hand and disbelief as she was talking to Logan, Roman desperate for a hug from Gerrie, Kendall in action mode trying to make it all ok, and Connor..well erm..yes.

The writers and director know a thing or two about grief I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'd like to have seen more of James Cromwell in the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭lmahoney79

We may see him a bit more now for the funeral etc. He's a great actor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

No way , his character brought far too much of Cromwells own preachy leftist politics, he was the one weak link and thankfully became a rarer feature as the seasons progressed

That's part of why his character worked so well imo. He's very much a polar opposite to most of the rest of the family. Not interested in money or success, worried about the effect of the company globally. Yet he's still stayed on the board, still profits financially etc. I think his character was definitely used sparingly as it's not like any of the rest of the characters would ever listen to him or be affected by him (case in point: Greg wanting to sue Greenpeace to get his inheritence), but he provides a good contrast and reminder that Logan Roy came from nothing and has kept his whole family close and financially secure as much as possible, but that he's also tainted his children with that success as none of them, like Logan, can see outside of the company. Even Greg could have done what his grandfather wanted and gotten his $250m inheritence, but he's corrupted by the success of the rest of the Roys (and Tom) and wants to work his way higher to get more money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Another brilliant epsiode this week. The quality of the writing and acting is phenomenal. In a league of their own at the moment imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

The last 10 seconds of this week's episode was the best bit. Kendalls smile at Hugo at the end was brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,494 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Karl has quickly become my favourite character in this, he’s had some great little moments lately.

It’s quite clear that the comic relief role has shifted to him from Greg too, with the latter looking slimier by the week.

I feel like the show will end with Greg in a completely undeserved position of strength (financially, at least). Him latching onto the rich widow has only highlighted how much Tom has influenced him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

My favorite part

"You're in miscellaneous matters, in pencil, with a question mark..."

"Nevertheless!"

While near impossible to match last week, thought this was another strong episode. The writing really shines through when it's just all the characters in the one space for a whole episode, and it's still great. Marcia fairly slithered back in there quick, fairly ruthless too.

That end was quality, Kendall quickly asserting that he's really the top dog. Gonna be some conflict soon with Roman. I think Kendall is right too - that move is the kind of ruthless stuff Logan would have pulled. It reminded me of the end of season 2 when Logan said Kendall wasn't cut out for the top job because he wasn't a killer - but later looked on almost with pride when Kendall came out in opposition to Logan in the press conference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I enjoyed Kerry's humiliation a bit too much.

Have to hand it to Marcia all the same, she's well able for all-comers, with a well timed blade between the ribs.

Selling the town house over Logan's still cooling corpse was peak Marcia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

In which Marcia became an uber-bitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭The DayDream

Marcia hated Greg in S1 and I don't think she's warmed to him much since.

And now Greg has become very unlikable to me, too. Though that's perhaps due to the allegations of having relations with underage girls that have come out recently about Nick Braun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I did wonder would "can Ken prove to be the killer his father demanded" be the final arc after Logan died. Kendall is just such a pitiful, sorry excuse for a human being; at the first whiff of his father's approval his greed for it all comes to the forefront again. Not that Siobhan or Roman are any better, as the second it even vaguely seemed like Logan picked a successor, they also fell back into their default self defences.

Greg has always been a sh*tty character, but he's usually been bullied by someone like Tom or Kendall, and he's funny, so he's always been a bit more sympathetic than others. I mean he was preparing to sue Greenpeace to protect his inheritence, but because the idea of suing Greenpeace was funny as well as Greg trying to rationalise it to people, it wasn't that bad.

But now you can see him trying to worm his way back into the "family" because he needs someone to latch on to and even if Gerri, Frank etc took over, they'd just sell the company to Mathison and peace out. Greg now wants to hitch his wagon to the kids because he wants to be involved in what they move onto.

Another great episode though. I do think Kendall's name was underlined rather than crossed out, but it's a moot point regardless. Kendall has taken it to mean he's the successor and now he's doing what he needs to make it a reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

One of the writers was on the HBO podcast and she said she definitely feels it was crossed out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I couldn't help but wonder: why would you bother going back to underline something in pencil? It's not like there was a list of names for one to be highlighted as particularly important.

That he went back to strike-through a name as he was making addenda (like 'Greg?') seems much more likely, right? And there was hardly something Kendall did in the past few seasons that feels like a reason to have earned an underline from Logan!

Really? That's interesting. I suppose it's good to know there is no definitive answer. I was mostly going by how the line starts under Kendall's name, and so if that's where he started the line that was probably his intention. But it's definitely as ambiguous as possible which is the right move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭whatever76

I think Logan was messing with Kendell's head again and purposely left it open to interpretation and deliberately put a slant on the line and added Greg in pencil.

Also ++spoiler++

Anyone think Siobhan lost the baby? I think something happened when they in discussion on who going forward for Interim  - she kinda stopped suddently and then backed down very quickly and was bit flustered ... hence the fall ! Just a hunch 

I don't think so. They only introduced the fact she's pregnant in this episode (though I saw someone online point out she refused a glass of champagne at the wedding last week), and there's still more story to be had there in her relationship with Tom. I think her fall etc was more just about her loss of power. She was finally on an even-keel with Kendall and Roman, and now she knows she has no claim to be their equals in sheparding the company through the deal with Mathison. She's been pushed to the side again, she's pregnant and doesn't have Tom with her, and she wasn't getting the sympathy she felt she deserved with Logan's death.

Is Shiv pregnant by Tom, or IVF? (Latter presumably?) Why was she so angry in the wake of the meeting where the 2 brothers were ratified - I thought she had accepted it as a done-deal? Did Kerry mumble to Roman that they were going to be married as they were picking up her belongings?

Though I can't remember it now, I loved the exchange between Marcia and Willa when the latter arrived to sympathise. Something like Marcia saying "You've come up (in the world now)", with Willa replying "You also".

Willa and her mother (who's an absolute dimwit) completely misread the room as they're audibly heard discussing apartment renovations by the mourners.

So much good stuff in this episode, arguably better than last weeks.

Almost definitely pregnant by Tom, I think. She's 20 weeks, so chances are it happened a few weeks before the end of Season 3 when they were still together. I don't think too much time passed in between the seasons, especially as the deal with Mathison was still being finalised.

As for why she was angry after Kendall & Roman were named interim COOs of the company, it was because she was on even ground with them when they were going to build their own thing together, but now they're going to be the ones to bring in the Mathison deal and she's been pushed to the side. It's not so much about the deal itself, but her not being in the same position to help bring the deal in. That's always been her biggest gripe. Kendall and Roman were always part of Waystar whereas Shiv tried to work her way up the ladder from the outside. But she's never been able to have the success within Waystar because she never won Logan's approval/respect. Now she's not even involved in the final sale of the company. She's pushed to the side again, and now I guess if she goes ahead with the pregnancy, she'll be a single mother and will probably struggle to be as big a part of whatever she, Kendall and Roman were going to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

There's a number of ways you can come at the letter, (there's a cognitive one as well that has been mentioned, off his medication?), but ultimately I do read the letter as a gauntlet to all of them to **** each other over.

The Greg angle I can't explain, as I said it could be a cognitive slip or maybe a nudge to use him as a pawn to whoever has the bright idea to use him first. Why else put a kid in there that you can barely feign to be in the same company as?

I wonder if the Greg thing might just be an indication of when the changes were made to the will. Tying in with a time Greg did something which impressed or helped Logan enough that he'd decide to leave him a few things in his will. Would possibly indicate what his relationship with Kendall was like at the time.

Not exactly sure if she's 20 weeks; her doctor says the 20-week scan will be the next milestone, but I don't think it specifically highlighted how far off it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭cobham

Probably at 16 wks ... amniocentesis scan was mentioned as having been done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Had a quick look on the succession wiki about Greg’s actions. He’s the butt of a lot of abuse but generally when he is asked to do something he delivers. He was also canny enough with his leverage on the cruise documents.

Was that really enough to impress Logan? Remember Greg didn’t have the privileged upbringing that the kids had, and maybe Logan gave him some credit for having the gumption to better himself.

The only thing that came to mind for me was Greg turning down his grandfather's request to leave Waystar to get his inheritance, and instead staying with Waystar. That's the only thing I could think that might have impressed or pleased Logan.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Frustratingly, I got spoiled for the episode with idiot websites unable to help themselves posting "Succession shock! Brian Cox talks" Knowing though that it was Conor's wedding, I just presumed he'd show up and make a speech of some sort and have a heart attack, surrounded by people. Even when Tom rang initially - and pretty much knowing Logan was dead- I thought it was a fake out for a true event later on. You don't kill main characters off screen in TV. That's not how it happens - there's the moment for people to say goodbyes, etc. This was just brutally well done and, like others, I've never seen this sort of denial and shock on screen and how they kept with it. It wasn't just a few minutes, we kept with them throughout. Excellent work (and, to the website that spoiled it in a damn headline, as Logan would have said: "F**k off!").

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

'When did you ever seem him laugh like that?'

'Maybe when a hobo was on fire'.

'Colin does jeans???'

'Who wasn't wearing his compression socks because he wanted to look sexy for Kerry'.

Some levity to the seriousness.

It's possible Logan crossed out/under Kendall's name just to mess with their heads when the letter was found. What I think is more likely is that he wasn't sure what way to go so it's more like a question mark.

Kendall might just turn in to the "killer" now. The final scene in episode 4 was very Logan like and appeared to come easy to him. I hope he doesn't go the way of his father though because Kendall is more human and evolved.

Shiv is dreadful and I rarely have sympathy for her. No matter what happens to her, even her fall down the steps, I can't empathise with the character at all. Whereas with Kendall and Roman I want to gather them up and hug them better. Connor resides on a different plane and not a higher one.

They both seem to have a stronger emotional core in that their feelings seem more authentic and there is a softness within rather than the hardness of Shiv.

Of course like her brothers she is abused as well. It manifests differently in each of them but the core is the same, 'dad please love me and accept me'. Impossible for a man such as Logan to do because he is also an abused child.

One scene though where I felt for Logan was when he and Kendall met for dinner in Italy. Kendall was being so self righteous in his belief that he is better than Logan and there was very little self awareness on display. In ways he is "better" but in no position to pontificate to his father.

Greg is a slithery fecker. I like him but I wouldn't in a million years trust him.

And poor Tom 😕 Him and Shiv on the beach in Season 2 as the wool was starting to be pulled from his eyes. He's another slithery fecker but he's insides are made of marshmallows.

Why do I get so invested in these shows! I was the same with The Last of Us and almost bereft when it ended. I'm there crying or talking at the screen and husband is like "it's not real" 😳😆

• Advertisement

I agree about Shiv. I really couldn't care less what happens to her but I do like the vulnerabilities shown by Roman and Kendall.

Same. When she was on the phone to Logan and he was already gone, I felt sadness but it wasn't really for Shiv, more the whole unfolding circumstance. She does have vulnerability locked away inside I'm sure of that, in fact I would say that she tries extremely hard to keep it there hence the coldness and fear. I just find it difficult to empathise with a character and person when it's never visible. She is at her worst when interacting with Tom. When they were both lying on their bed (Ist ep Season 4) I was hoping Shiv would peel back a little and let love out and in. And she's going to be a mother so that will be another generation of messed up Roys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Just rewatched S3 in prep for new series, and just noticed in the wedding episode that Con said to the other 3 siblings that he was there for "their mother".

Is Con only half brother to the other 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Yes, Connor’s mother was institutionalised when Connor was a child. There was a memorable moment in season 4 where they talked about why Connor didn’t like the wedding cake, calling it looney cake, because he was given that to eat when his mother was sent away.

• Advertisement

Yeah as per the previous post, he's Logan's son from an earlier marriage. Part of why Connor isn't involved in the business like the others; they grew up in the business, whereas Connor was a bit older and just ended up being given shares in the company and got the wealth and benefits from it rather than actually being part of the business.

Weird fact I saw yesterday though; the actor who plays Connor is only 10 years younger than Brian Cox who plays Logan, 66 and 76 respectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭cozar

where is Logan's will?, it's unlikely that all they have is a scrap of paper, surely he would have had a will drawn up years ago.

I presuming they still have to go through his will. I was thinking maybe he didn't leave the house to Marcia and therefore she can't sell it to Connor after all.

Decent episode. Obviously a bit of a slowdown from the last two, and back into the back and forth business dealings. Shiv accidentally working against Kendall & Roman is an interesting direction.

What's most interesting though is Roman. Second episode in a row we see him with a thing of tablets, seems very intentional. His glossing over of how much he's struggling in the wake of Logan's death while berating Mathis was a great scene too. Have to admit I'd be worried for Roman at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Officer999

I thought it was a very good episode.

The scene where all the Swedes are laughing and joking in Swedish and Tom is asked do you agree and he says he does…he really does was priceless!

I think Conor sending the photo of Logan to Roman in the ski lift just before they meet Matsson at the end possibly justified why he got so emotionally charged and lost it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I have no idea what Roman, Kendall and Shiv are planning but I did like the Tom and Shiv scenes. Was she drinking alcohol at the end though isnt it confirmed she is pregnant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭crushproof

I did wonder if that fall in the previous episode meant something that is left open to interpretation?

Although I guess not enough time has passed between episodes for her to find out. Keep forgetting these recent episodes have been back to back days!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭BikeRacer

"I metabolize fast because I’m dynamic". I love Hugo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Wow. That was not “decent”. It was outstanding and Culkin was a amazing as Roman His attack at the end was one of the highlights of thenseason and personally I loved his line about the bear using his bathroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Navy blue

Another really solid episode. Agree that Kieran Culkin has really come into his own this season. He was probably the most unlikable character previously but he has shown a child like vulnerability this season and you end up feeling really bad for him.

Loved how he was wearing a Logan style cardigan early on in the episode. I love the show for little details like this. A little foreshadowing that he will be the one who successfully takes over from his father perhaps???

• Advertisement
Advertisement