Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MG 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

y'all, just wondering if the known faults\snags (oil, tray bulge, software hangs) with the MG4 have been resolved based on the recent stock arriving, or what percentage actually suffer from these snags? overblown on the net? just still debating a trade-in for one before the change in the grant

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭crl84

From what I've read, oil drip seems to have been solved on recent shipments (something to do with an oil shield and longer breather unit), and didn't seem to affect lots of initial units even if fitted with the older parts anyway. Or maybe people just didn't notice! The initial batch(es) had a certain breather unit, so modified replacements were sent out for people affected, some of which were still causing an issue, but fixed it for others. Newly made cars have a different breather factory fitted, which seems to be perfect.

Tray bulge likewise. Only some cars affected (or many people never bother to look underneath), and doesn't seem to be an issue on any recently arriving shipments.

Software hangs/bug - hard to say. There's been various different ones that affect different people. MG have been rolling out updates over the last few months, so certain common things (eg. bluetooth unpairing, Emergency LKA over-zealousness) have got fixes (need to be updated at dealer).

Still seems to be the odd bug, but it's hard to know the extent or nature of what exists. There doesn't seem to be any widespread ones from what I've seen, but I'm not keeping too much track of it at the moment, until my delivery is near due.

I've been following it on and off over the last couple of months, and while there is a slight hesitation for me due to people having issues, it certainly isn't enough to put me off. Most people on the likes of mgevs.com seem to love it. There have been plenty of other new cars (EV and ICE) that have had inital production run issues that get solved over time. I'm currently driving a 192 BMW with up to date software, and there's a number of quirks that seem like bugs to me (eg. phone regularly unpairs from bluetooth, or won't switch to carplay without unpairing and re-pairing)...

Post edited by crl84 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

I’ve sent a few email to amend price, nothing back. Hmmm

thanks a lot for taking the time to reply 👍👍

think I'll commit, might get the first NCT on the leaf out of the way first, then trade-in for the Excite LR blue (standard) and none of the BS add-ons!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 theinferior

I had my first long trip in the car this week -- Cork and back. The charging infrastructure in this country leaves a lot to be desired. The app for the Blink chargers in Q Park in Cork was broken. The helpline number placed on the wall didn't say that it was a UK number! When we finally got it working, we were connected for five hours and got -- I'm not joking -- about 10% charge!

The hotel had a 7kwh charger, but it was down all night when we needed it.

On the way back, we were lucky to find a free spot at the ionity in Cashel, but that worked flawlessly and was very, very fast.

As for the car, it is an absolute dream to drive. The software is definitely a little buggy in places, but after two weeks, I'm already used to the very small issues this causes and it didn't bother me at all. It's all very comfortable, with a heated seat for herself and ACC to keep me within the speed limit and relaxed. It's night and day between this and my previous car (a Nissan Micra).

If you've ordered one, I think you're in for a treat.

Edited to add, because the Battery size matters: This is an Exclusive.

• Advertisement

What is the buggy issue with software you experienced.

1) It was very hard to pair the app up with the car in the first place. Got it eventually, but, come on! Surely this should be much more straightforward.

2) The driver's display keeps flashing up the wrong speed limit. But this is easy to ignore.

3) I did not feel confident in letting the car steer for me. That setting is turned off now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Are those quotes with or without the grant applied?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,357 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Yes because second hand diesels are worth considering before second hand EVs... Sounds like an anti-EV man slipped through the cracks

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭howareyoudoin'

I know this is a new model, but does anyone have a feel for how well / badly MGs generally do over time? I know nothing about them. Will the engine keep going but the interior & body start falling apart after 2 years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

MG5s have been around for about 3 years now, and are rapidly becoming a Taximan favourite - so considering they'll be in near constant use, with a group that will chat and gossip amongst themselves, I'd take that as a positive.

Was in a taxi on recently and couldn't see too many signs of wear and tear - no idea how old though

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭doctorg

Which electric home chargers are folks going for?

I called into FK today to ask sales rep to send on amended docs to sign. Email on its way I was told before I left dealership. Still nothing. Like WTF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So I see my Uncle bought one in grey. A big change from driving a Ford Mondeo both in size and driving dynamics. Suits him do. No need for them to have a big car anymore no children anymore they all since long left the nest and all very successful.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,775 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Check out some of the charger threads, there is nothing specific to the MG about any charger.

Linders and Brian Reynolds are asking €33845 (OTR, trade-in price, standard blue) after pre-July 5k grant for the Excite LR... just pushing it out of comfortable price range for me, so reckon I'll hold and go 2nd hand in couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Miscreant

If anyone has ordered a red MG4 Exclusive from Frank Keane recently, you're now one number higher on the list. I cancelled my order today, just waiting for the deposit back.

I went with a KIA Soul EV in the end. Best of luck to all those who have received their car or will receive it soon. I might take a look at one again in a couple of years when all the bugs are ironed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The KIA Soul EV is a great car. My Aunty has one. Very refined and smooth on the road. It was the best EV availible at the time they bought it two years ago. .

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Pop'n'Fresh

I cancelled my Grey Exclusive on Friday from Frank Keane too. Unfortunately delivery from MG was way too slow and Tesla reduced their prices. Picking up my new car tomorrow.

I hope you're happy with your Kia Soul!

Use my referral link to purchase a Tesla product and we both earn free store credits!

https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/phil240753

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Very happy with the Soul so far. Picked it up last week and have done over 500kms in it. It is 2 years old but has everything I need in it. I got a great trade in for my Ioniq Plug In Hybrid so it just seemed to be a good move for me. The added bonus is that the missus likes the Soul EV too 😁

The MG4 was great when I tested it back in December but I was not willing to wait any longer than the 3 month lead time I was given.

Good luck with your new car too @Pop'n'Fresh 🙂

Post edited by Miscreant on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

Got a call earlier, my MG4 Should be ready for Collect middle of next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,861 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

What model and colour did you go for?

Who is your dealer and if you traded in, was it a decent offer?

Hi, Dealer is J&P Cork Long range Executive.Grey .Happy enough with the trade in

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rayzfun

Hi I’ve fitted a reverse camera to my SE Long range. Not easy but looks very OEM and doesn’t require connection to infotainment display (which is impossible, virtually!)

Just at the MG4 Exclusive owners. How is car going so far for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

Really good, just wish they'd sort the niggles. They are so small you know they should be a quick fix - phone losing pairing, voice commands iffy when moving, speed sign recognition, preheating when fully charged - all just a software update away.

But great drive of a car, comfy, composed, quiet, smooth.

Exactly the same for me. Happy with the car despite a few niggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

The Kia Soul is a great car , looks are a little quirky but I preferred it to the Niro inside and to drive

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭doctorg

Can you link the camera which you installed please

• Advertisement

Collecting the car on Friday

Advertisement