Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Have your coffee at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

Bit smart but from now on it will be a Flask job 👍

Still a rip off

Post edited by Comerman on

Not meant to be smart it’s you who has to be smart,don’t buy prices go down. Are the minors waiting on Laois v Dublin tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭blackcard

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Five euro for a portion of chips ,is it a crowd from Cork have the catering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Yeah think they are playing Wexford next weekend but not sure of details.

Is Jimmy Meagher still involved with the shamrocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I think the minors at home to Wexford next Monday.

home venue would be great after the long trek across the Sliabh Bloom alps yesterday. The Offaly venue ( the faithful fields) is some set up,there’s about four fields with floodlights and probably two more without floods.KK should definitely have a pitch for every intercounty grade, like the land in Dunmore is only waste ground anyway.

Five euro for a portion of chips not the size of the palm of your hand, I suppose they do not call Ireland the rip off republic for nothing, So you are saying what was on a sunday paper yesterday is employing that plenty of Kilkenny people are ripping off people. Are you a landlord.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Gusser09

€12 euro might seem pricey for 2 coffess and 2 bars but you'd need to see what they are being charged by the county board before passing judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭The_Tank

Very disappointing to only have 1 live hurling game on TV this weekend. So many channels to pick from yet... The championship will be half over before we see any of the teams in any depth.

I enjoyed the Limerick/Waterford match yesterday. It's clear the league is in danger due to combination of (a) the tippy tippy nature of hurling at the moment and (b) the general lack of engagement of teams who have bigger things on their minds. That said I thought the second half took yesterday off and we got something a bit more 'from the pulse'. Limerick managed to do just about the right things at the right time but I would question this tactic of completely retreating. Waterford missed a lot of scorable chances and made some poor decisions after tearing in the Limerick with a level of aggression that obviously piqued Limerick in the extreme. I thought John Kiely's comments about those 'outside the camp softening them up' a little unnecessary (emotional? non analytical?) but I guess it's circle the wagon time now and they know it.

From our perspective the league final 'non performance' still sits uneasy. On watching the first half back again We clearly go the balance wrong 'between basic get stuck into them' and the possession oriented stuff - and then lost heart. We got a reality check at the right time of year but personnel wise at present it's hard to see how we've advanced from last year. (that's not a criticism of the management - plenty were tried but we just have a large percentage '6 outta 10' players at present. On reviewing the video and the scores (with listing it incident by incident) I think was Limerick excellence 20%, Kilkenny mistakes under limited pressure 60%, Limerick nous 10%, some dubious decisions 10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

Great match between Limerick and Waterford yesterday, Waterford wasted to many chances and were the better team for a lot of the match. Calum Lyons is an outstanding hurler as is Stephen Bennett. Dessie Hutchinson and Montgomery missed an awful lot between them. Waterford are the one team that can match Limerick and credit to Davy Fitzgerald he had Waterford spot on, tactically and physically. The goal was also a shambles, De Burca(poor fella) was down and 3 backs and the goalie had a chance to sort it out.

Munster championship is an outstanding spectacle, the 2 games next week are massive for Waterford and Clare. Clare have a chance v Limerick if they sort out the full back line and goalie.

Fully agree with above post. The championship is completely under the radar. Papers full of Rugby and Soccer.

3 outstanding matches on next weekend. Clare v Limerick, Cork v Waterford and Kilkenny v Galway and id also love to see Wexford v Antrim.

How many will be on TV

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

When you play your premier competition during the business end of the rugby and soccer seasons it’s bound to get lost in all the noise. Starting the championship in April is madness imo. It shouldn’t start until May at least, but I guess we have to get used the split season

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Wouldn't agree Waterford tactics were spot on..they had an extra man for most of the second half and seemed to think they needed goals..sent in a lot of high balls into the square when they could easily have worked a point..I think they should have won and left it behind them..

Tadgh de burca is terribly unlucky

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Regarding the upcoming matches, Cork v Waterford & KK v Galway is the double header on The Sunday Game on RTE. Limerick v Clare is on GAAGO on Saturday evening.

I would be of the opinion that unless you have an unbelievable level of physicality - that you're just not going to play your way through that Limerick midfield/defence. You're basically just trying to play Limericks game with smaller men. An educated long ball, into a properly resourced full forward line is a better percentage call I think - considering the danger of what happens when it breaks down further out the field. Of course it's a mix and match - but in general I think it made sense. What didn't make sense was going for goals when the margin was so slight.

Yeah agree regards going long, they had to nail the shots they were hitting from 50,60, 70 yards but unfortunately the kept missing until it was into 67/68 minutes when Gleeson, etc could get on the ball. There was a spell from 55 mins to 65mins where they lost the game, hitting wides and then resorting to go long when they needed the composure, wides like that set panic through a team and they paid the ultimate price yesterday. Limerick got out of jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭tibruit

Limerick players all look like muscled up sprinters and sprinters lack stamina. Waterford had ample opportunities to win yesterday and blew it by going long for goals and lacking composure. Bennett`s 21 yard free miss and immediate foul on Byrnes was a ridiculous 2 point turnaround. This whole ball into hand, retain possession and match them physically is not how you beat them. We saw it again yesterday. They commit large numbers to the opponent in possession sometimes four or five. Teams need to stop worrying about retaining possession and move the ball quickly into open space, put their defenders on the back foot and make them think twice about committing.

Somebody asked who had the catering in Nowlan park my answer was I thought it could be a crowd from Cork y. You maintain I made a sarcastic reference to been ripped of from somebody from Cork would you elaborate please. Are you suffering from something because I hit a raw nerve.

• Advertisement

See Michael Carey is around does anybody have a clue is it for a short visit or long term.

First big match of the year coming this weekend. Win this match and it probably puts the winners in a leinster final. It was a no win situation against Westmeath,the match was over after 20 minutes. They got the job done early picked up no injuries,got a game into tj and we move on.

The game lulled after half time and everyone just wanted the final whistle. The only negative of course was no goal and we have only 1 goal from play in the last 4 matches which isn't great. I know teams don't rely on goals like they did but you would hope to see us getting a few this weekend.

Galway started terribly and conceded 2 goals but once they settled they never looked like losing. They drove alot of aimless wides. Niland caused harm by roaming.

Midfield again for us is still a problem but as others have said hopefully Paddy mullen is given another go altho they might go for something different sunday. Adrian mullen is a key player for us now and he has continued the great form before that bad injury. Hopefully a few more lads can Kickstart their season sunday because we will need everyone. Mossy will probably start. This will be tactical but I'm hoping our backs are good enough to win their battles but our half foward line will have to at least break even with the galway half back line.i wouldn't be suprised to see finan Burke start and Joe Cooney push up a bit.

The U20’s were unfortunate to lose Denis Walsh through injury I hope it’s not too bad. He clipped over two brilliant points in the few minutes he was on for.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

What injury did young Walsh puck up? Saw him chatting to the physio at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Looked like he was holding his hamstring when he was coming off, hopefully just precautionary as he is a very talented hurler and did really well when he came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

Who is moderating this page? Any chance you could warn this poster of their responsibilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Agree with most of what you said with the exception of Limerick players lacking stamina. Simply not the case as they tend to be very strong in the last 15-20 mins of matches. Everything else is accurate.

It will be interesting to watch how Clare go about taking on Limerick. Will they follow the Waterford approach or tweak it. They have a better forward line that Waterford but their back line is porous. I guess I'll have to invest in GAA Go to find out - our suffer some Junior B rugby shield runners up Roinn 3 match on TV instead..

• Advertisement

I think RTE have Killinaskully on instead. It was great when Sky had the Saturday coverage.

Advertisement