Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You just said there is no legal obligation. The court found there is. Your argument has been proved wrong by the court judgement.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

This guy is predicting SF will swallow up a lot of the independents along with the smaller left parties.

Much of the anger about immigration seems to be focused in working-class Dublin but the kind of independents who raise concerns about immigration have barely featured in those areas up to now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

I think people underestimate the disdain many people have for SF. Despite social media hating the big two, the party most didn't want to see in power according to exit polls at the last election was SF.

Anyways off topic, so apologies to the mods.

I do think/agree that's immigration is unlikely to get people elected as single issue candidates, however I think the governments handling of the last few years will influence where votes go. How many I'm not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Sinn Fein have always been a traditionally left wing or 'social justice' party. It would be a very surprising move for them to set themselves up as an anti-immigration party (or 'controlled immigration' or whatever people choose to call it)....that sounds far more like right wing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭creeper1

I would like just like to say in relation to videos of late. A guy dumping off on a roof of a car (didn't see that one and probably won't look it up), a guy going after women with a hammer, an African woman doing some weird ritual dance in Mullingar (clearly mentally ill), Somalians and Algerians throwing chairs at each other and of course our friend threatening social services while watching an enchanting Nikki Minaj video.

This ladies and gentlemen are our saviours who will fund our pensions.

Oh heck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

SF are just FF in different clothes nowadays , they won’t spook the big corporations but they won’t upset the NGO sector ( or media who they need ) either , Soc Dems are the most enthusiastic about immigration of any party but their supporters are aware of this and support them wholeheartedly, no dishonesty there

The UK had a recent PM (Truss) who had a policy of spooking the corporations and very nearly crashed the entire economy overnight : she is believed to have cost her country around £40bn in the process. These type of populist cranks should be allowed nowhere near any government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Our current government try to be populist, they just aren't very good at it.

The media and opposition party have been setting policy for years.

If that 'protest vote' goes overwhelmingly to other parties that also favour (in some cases even more) liberal immigration policies it won't be recognised as such by the government parties and thus won't serve any purpose...If SF and SD gain significantly at the expense of the government parties the lesson those parties will take is they need to move further to the left, maybe not specifically on immigration but that is likely to be part of the package...

SF voters themselves that are most opposed to current immigration policies, according to the polls.

And SF know that.

They do but they don't care, as long as there is no prospect of them losing significant numbers of votes over the issue. And there's no sign of that as yet...

• Advertisement

If some SF voters are opposed to immigration or current immigration policies, then they don't even understand what a left wing or 'social justice' party is supposed to be. The whole point of left wing politics and / or social justice policies would be equality for all and ensuring that minorities are not marginalised or blamed for the ills of the country.

Those people who claim to be SF voters and yet are also anti-immigration sound more like closet right wingers i.e. they have attached themselves to the wrong party.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

The first reasonably sane party that offers some form of control on immigration will see a huge voter bounce.

But if none does in time for the next general election then nobody gains or loses (much) from the issue IMO, which suits the established parties just fine. I don't buy your prediction of a major shift to SF in protest at gtovernment immigration policies...

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

I think we will follow the hardening EU stance and that's how the politico PR supported by media will present it. FG will try to get some poll benefit out of that stance. Or FF will.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Your demanding an answer despite never answering a question when asked for a debate?

You are quite correct on the Lisbon Treaty opt out. But Ireland is also a signatory to the 1951 Refugee Convention and the European Convention on Human Rights - meaning any refugee could appeal deportation on those grounds, rather than citing EU law. Note how Braverman is running into major legal difficulties with her immigration plans in the UK, despite Britain having nothing to do with the EU any longer.

Where is the proof of your claim that "The legal obligation is only applicable because we havent invoked the Opt Out clause."

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Tornaedo

As an aside, I like the way you refer to "Dubs" and "Culchies", simply calling Dubliners, Dubs, but calling the rest of the country, "Culchies" i.e. a synonym for country bumpkins, and even giving it a capital letter as if it's a proper name rather than an arbitrary description. You also put Dubs in quotes to suggest it's equally derogatory... it's not even remotely equal.

How is it countries such as Australia, Japan, Denmark, Singapore etc which aren't beyond the pale rouge states get to have control over their immigration policy but seemingly international courts take this away from Ireland?

Let them "think" whatever the heck they want to to think.

I don't think less of the Danes. I understand that they are country with very high living standards.

That knowledge is out there. Hence so many refugees chose that destination until a stop was put to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

I think if its now unlawful to provide accommodation the same should be applied to citizens !

This seems to be a good argument for a limit on asylum seekers if accommodation cannot be provided . An interesting scenario is what happens if accommodation is still not provided does the court sue the state ?

https://www.thejournal.ie/high-court-rules-failure-to-provide-afghan-asylum-seeker-with-accomodation-unlawful-6050116-Apr2023/

Your link Zimbabwe, Nigeria, Georgia ,Pakistan ,South Africa and Albania are countries not at war . You could show how they are justified as legitimate.

EU citizens can come for 3 months and get benefits while looking for employment .

UK govt and their media pals have been floating the idea of withdrawing from the ECHR (thus joining Russia and Belarus). That doesn't sound like they are overly confident that what Braverman is doing can be classed as 'legal' under international law.

You are making an assertion that rights only accrue on the basis of opting into something but theres no evidence behind your claim. Just your claim.

Terry Pratchet

Its not a contract. Theres no evidence to support your claim.

The findings of the case were in breach of the EU regulations and the EU Charter of fundamental rights.

Your assertion is wrong because the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights isnt optional.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭corks finest

A clown government

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Gamergurll

That user never replies to any questions put to him so I wouldn't bother too much

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

• Advertisement

But we havent opted out so it is relevant.

Your position is there is no right if we opt out

We havent opted out therefore there is a legal right in both EU and Irish law. Your suggestion there is no right is nonsense.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement