Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

I think you forget they were down to 14 of most of the 2nd half and also missed some easy opportunities including a pen. They don't lack stamina 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭blackcard

Trying to remember did Mikey Butler manmark Cathal Mannion last year? I imagine Mossy Keoghan will return at the expense of Clifford. Midfield is 2 out of Paddy Mullen, Corcoran, Fogarty, Buckley,Alan Murphy,I would probably make no change from last Saturday here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Yes he did man mark. And it made a f**k of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Won't be much in this game if the last few years are anything to go by. Eoin Cody was very good above in Salthill last year and Henry switched a few lads on him before dropping back mannion who curtailed him.Lawlor and whelan will be a great match up again and infairness to huw he gone from strength to strength the last few years.

Niland was good at floating but is unproven yet at this level other than that it should be a fairly traditional game. Galway have a few fowards like our own who are inconsistent.They have 2 scoring midfielders so they will definitely take watching and mannion will drop out towards here.Fogarty kept Tom monaghan quite last year if I remember correctly but conor has another year in the legs. God knows what the midfield pairing will be but after going through the whole league it's dissapointing we're still no further advanced on a midfield pairing. We all knew we had to make changes in the half back line,find a midfield pairing and try find a forward or two.Blanchfield is settling into the half back line and drennan has being a find but the midfield pairing is still problem.

We will need big performances from the fowards especially the half foward line. Half back line is probably galways strongest line and will try to be the springboard of their attack. Adrian has being excellent since returning and mossy will probably start for Clifford.i don't know if its the captaincy or what but eoin Cody needs a big performance soon.lyng was saying the other day that a few lads will be returning from injury soon maybe he was referring to Wally and Richie hogan.Deegan is a few weeks away as is drennan.

This is a big match and first real test for management,hopefully a good crowd and home advantage count for something.id expect these 2 teams to reach the leinster final but Wexfords all Ireland every year is against kk so ideally we get the win sunday and not be going to Wexford park on the last day looking for the win.

Everyone should be up for this and no doubt this was in the back of our lads minds last weekend. I'd be quietly confident we will get the win but we will need to nullify galways midfielders and we have to get a the upperhand in the half foward line.This will be absolutely key if we're going to win. We need to get a better return from goal opportunities. Wexford caused the dublin full back line a few problems so id expect lyng to go after this line. We need to have a plan with puckouts.Last year in salthill a short puckout was the cause of a goal.Fair play to Davey Fitz he got alot right last sunday.Scruff is at nothing putting snow on them and making an Allstar out of that half back line. It would be very dissapointing if this hasn't being worked on since the league final. I'm hoping for a big performance sunday and 2 points on the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Butson

Folks Galwayman here - I come in peace!

Just wondering if you could recommend some parking spots close to the ground? I will have an elderly man with me. Driving up from Cork direction.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭The_Tank

The underground car park in McDonagh junction (shopping centre) is handy - it will be busy but it's very close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

If you're early enough aim for O Loughlin Gaels GAA grounds. It's only across the road - I think they charge €5 in and it fills up quick enough. If you can't get there there's free parking from there all the way to the Hebron road roundabout along the road, in TC Tyres, and a few other side roads/businesses.

For a game like Sunday all those spots will probably be gone by 1.15 or earlier. People just abandon it on the ring road as well but that's a fair walk for an elderly man in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 30 AhBoyDelaney

Eoin Murphy

butler Lawlor walsh

blanchfield reid Corcoran

adrian Mullen and Fogarty

Ryan Donnelly Eoin Cody

mossie tj c Kenny

Let forwards move around. Kenny got 0-3 in Parnell park from corner forward last year when we really needed scores in first half.

mossie gets goals. TJ will keep Galway full back line pinned back which means their half back line will sit deeper allowing Mullen space to get long range points. If we don’t bring a fight to it it doesn’t matter who is on the team. We need the drive and never give up attitude we have had for last 20 years to win on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 AhBoyDelaney

That’s Tommy walsh in corner not Padraig

• Registered Users Posts: 28 chg1980

Heard at a match tonight that the referees are withdrawing there service for this weekend due to an abusive letter received by one of them last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kentu

If there's any truth in that hard to blame them....Was talking to a referee I know last weekend and he was telling me about someone shouting up in his face after a game, absolutely not on. Said he felt like responding in several ways but held himself back. It's gone to a new level what they put up with over the last few years I feel.

If the referees take a stand people will then see what the consequences are when no ref turns up = no game.

Post edited by kentu on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

The abuse and threats in the letter I've seen are horrendous and Comer should collectively be ashamed of themselves. The club needs to take action. Firstly this bully/coward needs to be outed and banned from our games. Second the club really need to look at the management group that have been part of this type of abuse and make Comer a horrible place for parents and supporters to go I can only imagine what it's like as a ref. I know the names of some of those involved and some are prominent business men you would think they'd have more sense than to carry on in such abusive and bullying ways.

All the Refs have been called into the county board this evening as far as I know and if I was them I'd stick to my guns and remove all services indefinitely until the letter writer is named and banned and the club undertake to really iron out their horrendous attitude at games towards refs.

I'm no saint myself and there are refs i think are poor but I never shout abuse at them I may question their decision vocally but never abusively. This kind of crap has to be stamped out and the best way is to put the full glare of the spotlight on those responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

I've no idea about the letter but agree fully with the referees and you except your comment that

"management group that have been part of this type of abuse and make Comer a horrible place for parents and supporters to go"

I've never heard anyone say that about Comer. Saying that there's always one knob head in every club and this eejit does not represent the majority Castlecomer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Yes definitely not fair to tar all with the same brush based on the actions of one idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Its a tad unfair to say Comer collectively should be ashamed of themselves. This particular person absolutely and anyone else involved on this matter with the ref. The club need to stand up to this individual and issue a minimum lifetime ban. The vitriol in the letter is disgusting. Referees will be looking at what happens there intently. Speaking to a ref yesterday evening at half time in a match he said local refs (southern refs)dont really feel safe heading to far north because they have no protection. I know that sounds peculiar but thats what he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

It's not fair to tar all with the same brush but a club has to take responsibility for this kind of carry on and stamp it out and if they don't it will be a general view of the club which would not be fair. The vast majority of the club members and the Comer community at large are decent people who I assume are embarrassed by this carry on.

It comes to a head with BS like this and the club need to grasp nettle and root it out. The GAA have their "give respect" campaign and if there was ever a clearer two fingers to the said campaign.

I'm as passionate and vocal at a match as any and more than most. I'll shout at the ref for a decision but I'd never abuse a ref or an opposition player. I'll try to cheer on my own team as best I can. I can understand how it can get heated and out of hand but to follow a ref out to his car abusing him is not on, ever. For the club's to then go to a with the county board to sort it and then that type of letter to be sent should have no place in any sport.

From the parents I've talked too, they dread the carry on of a specific management group they have to encounter out in Comer not all in Comer. Every club has them but maybe the club need to have a serious word with them about the example it sets for young players and supporters. BTW the players of the same parents love playing in Comer as the facilities and pitch are great and credit to the club and community.

Post edited by tbiggertycome on

Correct. Thats what i said. The club in Comer need to deal with this individual severely and any others involved. We have all gotten onto refs, in every single match, but this takes it to a level no one can or should accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

We played up in Comer a few years back in an u13 match and the place is worse than Galatasaray, The abuse from management and the crowd was disgraceful. I am not surprised this has come to a head.

And he's back 🙄 ffs. Years ago?? Did you report any of this Galatasaray style of abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭kksaints

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Opposition fans have been stabbed and killed by Galatasaray fans...

Seemingly Comer is worse, luckily he made it out alive. Maybe that's where the hatred of Fogerty stems from 🙄

To be honest there are many more places than comer that the crowd or management would be classed as disgraceful.I could mention quite a few clubs but that wont get us anywhere. It has come to light now and lets hope its dealt with. The last thing we want is for this to be swept under the carpet and refs just pick and choose where they go. Hurling/camogie is the best game in the world and we need to protect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Marrooned

This is brutal about the referee. Now some posters came on here tonight and more or less said they shout and roar at referees but don’t abuse them wtf. Well I must say I abuse them in this way regularly enough and it’s all out of frustration at some of the mental decisions they make and most people do the same if they are going to be honest about it sometimes we go home from inter county games maybe even after winning and most of the conversation would be about the referee. It’s a Hugh problem and a lot of issues would need to be addressed. Going to anyone’s home grounds is usually intimidating because the home support is usually larger and I don’t think calling out the Erin’s own club is fair I don’t know the circumstances of what way the panned out the comer lads obviously felt hard done by and one individual decided to put pen to paper which is never a good idea.one solution for this is to have sideline police provided by the local club but this could also go overboard if not done properly. Jesus that’s some amount of writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ttowncat

Official: refs are striking this weekend in kilkenny.

Post edited by ttowncat on

Refs also said at their meeting tonight that this was not an Erin's Own issue but but the straw that broke the camels back.

From Erin's Own tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Probably needed to come to a head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

So all games over the bank holiday weekend are off? I hope Erins Own GAA and this individual are proud of themselves. They should exclusively be punished and refs withdraw services from there games until the culprit is named.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Will the Co Board be strong enough to deal with this, a lot of wrong things happening at the moment in the County.

Advertisement