Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

And no doubt all those self proclaimed "real supporters" who didn't bother going on Sunday will be pissing and moaning on the off chance we got to a Munster final or All Ireland because they can't get tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JD. 60

Don't expect much critical analysis on The Sunday Game, especially when pundits are talking about their own counties. Sure Dessie Cahill offered some mild criticism of his own programme and was sidelined to the Radio (maybe that was his intention !). I see Eddie Brennan calling out Limerick for their dirty play (he should know).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,893 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mod Note

A few posts removed. A reminder to post in an acceptable manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭skaface

Unfortunately when a County team are doing well, the supporters will travel.. When they're not, they don't.. Simple as.. When Waterford played Cork in Walsh Park last year, the Cork support didn't travel either and tickets were sent back from clubs.. Swings and roundabouts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

Maybe true but last Sundays attendance by Waterford fans was embarrassing you could excuse a sat night in Gaelic grounds but first round in thurles against the champions is pathetic effort .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭waterfordgirl

The reality is that a lot of people are sick of seeing poor performances and people dont stick with teams who dont win.

Limerick had no support for a long time. Now they bring more support than any other county.

It is what it is and saying its a disgrace is BS talk.

For what its worth, i went Sun and missed one game this year so far... nit because i'm the best supporter ever, but because i enjoy going more than i could ever enjoy watching it on tv.

Dont really know what my point is other than i hate the BS sometimes 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Even in poor days Limerick was always well supported. Last Sunday turnout was v poor and rightly so it's been called out. The team needs support

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

A defeat for Clare will in no way eliminate them. There have been three Munster Championships played under the Round Robin system and 4 points has been enough in two of those, there are only 20 points to play for and three teams going through and if Limerick win 8 of those then 4 will definitely be enough for at least tied third.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭loves_me_county_boy

Not getting ahead of myself by any means but at that price it’s worth something on it 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

That’s fair enough and fully acknowledge 4pts can be enough to progress (may be relying on results elsewhere) but I suppose the point I was getting at more was that it would be a long way back for Clare if they lose again this weekend. Without checking I’m not aware of any team getting out of Munster having lost their opening two games (open to correction on that). The psychological blow of having lost at home last weekend in a game they would have been hugely targeting to win - we’ve been in this situation before.

Regardless of all the above, our fate is in our own hands but I’d be happy enough going into our game Sunday if Limerick looked after Clare the night before as it would put one of our direct rivals further on the back foot.

Starting 15 for Sunday? Patrick Fitz in for Dunford, Tom Barron or Iarlaith Daly if fit to slot in for TdB. Start Aussie or keep him in reserve?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭fuinneamh

Cork last year lost their first 2 games and got out of Munster with 4 points.

So that means if u put a euro on it, you'll lose a euro

More than likely but stranger things have happened

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JD. 60

Last year, three teams could have ended up on 2 points each if Tipp had beaten Cork on the last day (unlikely as that was to happen).

• Registered Users Posts: 39,549 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Also if Waterford had of beaten Clare in the final game last year we would have gone out despite winning 2 games on account of head to head record with Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I think when the whistle was being blown, Bennett give him a very slight dig with his foot. It was very miniscule. A small flick. The Limerick guy reacted and was throwing the usual shapes like how dare you do that to me. Then when the whistle went, the demeanors changed immediately, and they were all friends again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Who recalls that last game in Ennis last year where Cahill put out a bizarre team and we duly lost by 20 odd pts….Stephen bennett got bullied by a 19/20 year old corner back making his debut plus lots of other ‘no show’ performances….add in the poor performances in the league and general discontent of seeing davey fitz back at the helm had a lot to do with people dont travelling last Sunday. Given the performance last Sunday and the fact that it’s a long weekend, a lot more will travel to O’keeffee’s park this week..?

We’re long overdue a win over Clare in general, haven’t beaten them in championship since 2016 and lost every one of the four times we played them since. Sick of losing to them and simply have to get one over them this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

We beat Clare in the 2020 all Ireland quarter final down in cork

• Advertisement

Ahh sorry you’re absolutely correct, I was only looking at Munster results. Still, the record against them in recent years is fairly poor and I’d maintain we’re due a win over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

Sorry Flanagan being investigated limerick bloke spread wrong information deliberately

Post edited by decies on

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Moggy13

Complete joke. If Austin Gleeson did what Flanagan did he would be burned at the stake. I don't care whether Flanagan gets/got suspended or not but the message being sent out, if the non suspension is indeed the case, is work away lads. Someone will seriously get hurt one of these days and the time is right to set a precedent, particularly with teams bulking up year on year

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

RTÉ reporting it's to be investigated by the CCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The Minor Hurlers season ended tonight in a dead rubber game vs Tipperary in Thurles. Tipp winning 1-20-1-12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Is it possible to get a ‘straight red’ after already been given a yellow card……? Can anyone recall for the Hegarty incident if the ref flashed him a second yellow first and then a red or just a red card…..if it was a red card he got without a second yellow then surely it means he misses the next game…? Also who was it that hegarty ‘took out’ for the sending off…..daragh Lyons I’ve heard some say and others saying it was Conor gleeson….?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭The White Feather

I read Waterford had 15 wides and 5 that were dropped short. Sounds like they had chances

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

This game vs Cork is a must win game. Aussie HAS to start and hopefully he will get a bit more protection from the referee than he got in the same fixture last year when he was targeted for savage punishment. (And hopefully he has the cop on to take the punishment he will get this year and absolutely NAIL them on the scoreboard, as he is well able to do.

• Advertisement

How are ticket sales going down here for Sunday.. Surely a good few thousand travelling for this one.. Both stands nearly sold out and only one terrace open for the game

Advertisement