Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Few Twitter rumours today that Dortmund are prepared to offer him a new contract with an €80m release clause that'll trigger next summer. Sounds like bull to me, but you never know

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Eurox6

We see a lot of transfer talk focused on the 2 Brighton midfielders but is there any guarantee they don't need up like Yes Bissouma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Possibly, but Spurs are also a shitshow who I wouldn't trust to develop a player these past couple years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Maitland-Niles is a free agent this summer and wouldn't command a big wage, wouldn't be the worst backup fullback if we're going on the cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Huitema would have score that header, it reeks of trying too hard, Nunez wanting to put too much on a header, when he's center of goal, a confident comfortable player just powers it home, it was harder to miss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Well it does ask the question of 'is he a great player or is he a good player who is flourishing in a certain system that suits his skillset'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'd be a lot more confident of Mac Allister than Bissouma anyway. Has been excellent under both Potter and De Zerbi's quite different styles, and for Argentina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Possibly true. It was reported last summer that Bellingham's current contract has a €60M release clause that activates in 2024. If there isn't going to be an auction for the player this summer then a new contract with a higher release clause could be a reasonable compromise on the part of his club.

• Advertisement

I'm not a huge fan of MacAillster, i think our biggest need is legs,

I genuinely think Caicedo will have a Kante effect, as in where ever he goes there chance of winning the league immediately multiples

He needs to play regular football at a competitive level, he's getting games now essentially because there's no viable alternative available. Prior to his current run in the lineup his only league appearance in the starting lineup was against Nottingham Forest in October.

If Bajcetic wasn't injured, Jones would not be in the team. That's a pretty damning statement considering he has been around the squad since 2020. As things stand he is likely to be behind Tyler Morton in the squad selection order next season.

If he wants to have a career as a footballer then it's in his own best interest to move to a club where he can play regularly. There's no shame in dropping down to the Championship but I always get the impression from Jones that he has an inflated ego and he's comfortable hanging around the fringes of the main squad at Liverpool. He's under contract until 2027, so a loan move would be a good compromise for him.

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't disagree, Jones should go play somewhere else.

I just don't see him going for a year on loan and then coming back to a spot in our team. He's just not at that level, and a year on loan isn't going to put him at that level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I don’t know where MacAllister would fit in our system if we were to move for him. As you said he’s not a box to box with a big engine type player in the mould of Gini or Hendo. He plays the majority of time between the lines linking the midfield and forward players. He’s nearly more of a No.10 than a No.8! He could actually work really well if we were to switch to the 4-2-3-1 that some people have mentioned is on the cards and he could play in the central position behind the out and out front man. But I can’t see that happening mainly because, despite the talk about setting up this way, Klopp has yet to show that he’s willing to try it and MacAllister would be effectively another singing for our every growing forward line….

Midfield will be very interesting

Ox, Milner,Naby,Jones all hopefully gone

Thaigo ( 1 more season) Hendo (2 more seasons in the Milner role ) Fab (can he turn it around)

Bajcetic , Elliot there long term,

So probably need 3 midfeilders this summer & maybe one next

There was similar thinking about Thiago when there was speculation about him joining. Neither of the players are anywhere near the Wijnaldum mould. I could definitely see MacAllister replacing Thiago if there are also robust box to box players being added.

Thiago is great when he's fit but he's not up to the physicality of Klopp's setup and he has missed almost half of each season since he has joined. I'm not advocating getting rid of him immediately, just reducing our reliance upon him.

• Advertisement

That a good call ,Thiago only has a year left & can't see him getting a new deal, So maybe your right & MacAllister is his replacement ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭jamesd

Mason Mount out for the rest of the season with a pelvic injury and will undergo surgery. https://www.sportbible.com/football/mason-mount-surgery-chelsea-injury-news-liverpool-transfer-795749-20230425

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Caicedo is exactly what we need in our midfield. The lad is a monster, can do a bit of everything. We need his aggression, pace and tackling ability in midfield. And to say, those are his only assets would be a disservice. We need numbers in midfield yes, but he does the job of 2 men in the Klopp system. He is going to go somewhere else and be a huge player. If 80million is what he costs then i'd sign only 1 midfielder this summer, and wait for Bellingham next year.

Thats how good Caicedo is. He is the Brighton guy we need to be all over, not MacAllister.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,875 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Have to agree i don't see how MacAllister solves any of our current issues,

its legs , legs &m ore legs that we are missing right now ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I think Thaigo should be let go in the summer, he's on huge money and effectively misses half of our matches each season, even when he has played this season he hasn't been great. Thaigo is a luxury player who's great when we're going well, but, tends to go missing when things aren't going well. He has great ability, he's just not available enough IMO to justify his huge wages. If we could get a proper full season out of him, I'd keep him around, but, he will more than likely miss half our games again next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I'd imagine Thiago is great to have for the younger midfielders.

Too many player leaving already

He'll see out his contract here & then go ,he is far & away our best midfielder when he is fit & up to match speed

I think for tomorrow id like to see to see Klopp change it up & keep Westman guessing,

Id go Gomez , VVd, Konate , & Push Robbo right on from the left,

Then have Trent RCM / RM , Fab DM, Thiago Lcm

With front line of Salah ,Jota , Diaz

Ability wise he's our best midfielder, but, Fabinho until this season, was our most important midfielder, he allowed the likes of Thaigo to do his stuff, but, when Fabinho's form went to ****, Thaigo influence reduces drastically, I can't really remember him playing well in many games this season when he was available. I don't really care how good a player is, if he's unavailable for large parts of every season his value to the team is reduced, I'd rather have a solid player who's available week in, week out.

People complain about Salah all the time, but, he generally performs at a high level, even when the team plays poorly, plus he's nearly always available, that's worth a lot, we as a club need to move away from players like Thaigo, Matip, Ox and Keita ( thankfully the last 2 will be gone in the summer), who spend as much time on the treatment table as on the pitch, their unavailability limits team selection and rotation leading to other players getting fatigued and picking up injuries.

So we release Ox, Keita, Milner, Thiago and loan out Jones this summer.

That leaves Hendo (33) Fabinho (29) Bacjetic (18) Elliott (20) as the midfield options.

Who are the 4 centre midfielders signed gonna be to make up the 8 that usually are at the club?

Will they all fix the mismatched age profile?

And who is the auxiliary full back going to be signed?

Releasing a load of players at one time doesn't really solve problems, it creates more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Thiago is under contract until 2024, unless you were suggesting we should sell him this year to recoup some bit of a transfer fee?

I’d be keeping him around. When the team is functioning all over the pitch, he’s the final piece that brings us up another level IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Jones and Thiago from the list above will still be there next season

No, I'd definitely keep Thiago for the next season.

Jones, I dunno. If he is sold to fund the midfield rebuild, I'm fine with it. If he is kept as a squad player, I'll give him the season to prove his worth.

I was just commenting on the recent posts/theme of the thread which was selling/releasing all the midfielders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Can see Milner and Thiago staying. Need to add running power in midfield. Don't need to be world beaters on the ball. Caicedo, Khephren Thuram, Gravenberch would all improve the side. Can't see them spending the money it will take to get Caicedo though.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah I wouldn't mind Jones going either if a replacement is got,just not good enough,but will be kept as a squad player imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Ox and naby going. Can see the other 3 staying really. Klopp will continue to behave like klopp and want to keep guys around. I think they'll sign 2 max.

Villa won again, dam we need to win tomorrow

Thiago just turned 32, he's our Modric, Thiago has 5 more seasons at the top, hopefully his injuries vanish.

No coincidence that a player like Thiago rarely missed a game for Bayern, yet is injured a lot with us, and it's the same for a lot of players that are subjected to the training style at Liverpool,

Ah he got a lot of injuries at Bayern too alright, only had one or two seasons without at least missing a couple weeks here and there. His average league appearances there was usually around the mid 20s, same as it's been for us (in only one season has he ever broken 30 league appearances - and that was exactly 30. Otherwise, it's all teens and 20s).

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

He's not in the same league as Modric, can't see him doing what Modric is doing in his late thirties. I think he will stay, mainly because we are losing a few other midfielders and will probably sign 2 midfielders max, but, I think it would be better if we sold him this summer. I definitely wouldn't like to see his contract extended beyond next summer.

These midweek games are massive for Liverpool's top 4 chances. I haven't given up hope, yet.

I'm still of the belief that if Liverpool win their remaining games, there's a good chance of getting top 4. The very nature of top 4 means the clubs around those spots are not extremely consistent and it's about putting runs together at the right time while others falter. Newcastle & Man United will drop points between now and then end of the season, it's just when and how much.

West Ham will be playing their 3rd game in 6 days and will have to rotate a bit. They will want to keep some players fresh for their European games which now take precedent after their last few league results. Those couple of recent wins have given them a cushion to the rest of the relegation zone so this game can be seen as a chance to rotate, while targeting the Palace game at the weekend instead to cement their safety. Players like Cresswell and Coufal have to be rotated and maybe Antonio too, to mind him.

Leicester and Leeds drawing last night was a good result as it maintains their need to pick up wins soon. They both have games to play against Newcastle where they will need to pick up points there. The draw also kept Everton in the bottom 3. Everton are at home to Newcastle Thursday night and really need to take something from that. Southampton are also playing Newcastle, away from home, but need points.

On the other hand, Newcastle play a lot of teams that are bad, but they are bad teams who are fighting for their spots in the league.

Hopefully Arsenal can get a result tonight and still be in the hunt for the title for when they visit St James' Park and try take points off of Newcastle too.

Villa winning has kept them in the hunt for a European spot now too. Their next game? Against a tired Man United at home, when they will have had an extra 2 days rest. After that it's a trip to Brighton for Man United who will be out for revenge for their cup semi final loss. Spurs Villa Brighton is a tricky 3 game run, so hopefully they can drop points there too and get sucked back into the top 4 race.

It all starts with Liverpool beating West Ham tonight.....

If Liverpool win their remaining games, they get 71 points. For Newcastle to match that, they have to win 4 from 7 games. They currently win just under half their games. For Man United to reach that, they have to win 4 from 8, which they are on course to do, but with Maguire playing who knows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

Liverpool winning all their remaining games = extremely unlikely

Newcastle winning only 3 of their remaining seven = very unlikely

United winning only winning 3 of their remaining 8 games = extremely unlikely.

Liverpool winning all their remaining games and one of the other scenarios happening = very extremely unlikely.

Needed Newcastle eto draw or lose to Spurs. Its done now.

• Advertisement

Liverpool to drop points tonight,imo.

I think there is merit in extending Thiago's contract provided it's on a reduced salary. He has a wealth of experience which he has been happy to share with the next generation of players and there's considerable value in that.

Klopp's philosphy was built on what I have described in the past as Energiser Bunny midfielders who were prepared to run themselves into the ground in every game to put their opponents under pressure and force quick turnovers. Our opponents adapted over a period of time and began to give up possession in an effort to force Liverpool to try to play through them. That exposed a glaring weakness in the team, as there was a distinct lack of creativity in midfield. Utilising Thiago brought us something different, his technical ability was what we were missing. Unfortunately he hasn't been up to the physicality of the Premier League and Klopp's training regime.

The situation with the lack of development of the squad should never have been allowed to occur, but it did and dealing with it in a sustained manner is our best hope of getting the team firing properly and challenging again. For this reason, I feel the team would be better served by phasing out the likes of Henderson and Thiago over time rather than making wholesale changes to the midfield and expecting results in one season.

Wijnaldum went straight into the starting lineup when he was signed from Newcastle. Fabinho occupied the bench for the first two months of his Liverpool career. Keita had to wait until December for his first start in the league. Thiago's debut was delayed due to a positive COVID test and but for Richarlison's 90th minute challenge on his first start he would have had an extended run in the team.

This limited sample size suggests that midfield signings that aren't elite level or that don't have previous Premier League experience aren't likely to get a place in the team from the start of their Liverpool career. It explains the strong links with the likes of Mount, Mac Allister, Caicedo and Nunes. They have the experience of playing in the league so it's just a matter of coaching them to play the role Klopp requires. On the other hand, the likes of Gravenberch would be expected to spend the early part of the season on the bench.

Hopefully Klopp won't break any of the new signings in training because having a panel of fit players for the midfield would be a novel experience for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Are you Toby in disguise? almost had me believing.

I see we are wearing the white kit tonight,haven't won a game all season wearing that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

haha no, I'm just refusing to give up hope yet!

• Advertisement

No, next season should be his last, too injury prone, we have had enough experience of keeping sicknotes around too long; Keita and Ox spring to mind, neither really contributed anything this season, had they left last summer and not been replaced it really wouldn't have made any difference on the pitch, but, we'd have saved on their wages. Thaigo's injury record isn't that much better, picks up lots of injuries and seems to take forever to recover, it would be a backward step extending his contract and show that the club haven't learnt from previous mistakes. The club needs to get out of the habit of keeping/ signing players with poor injury records or fitness concerns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Same team as last day out bar Matip in for Konate.

I'm surprised our team is the same again, bar Matip for Konate.

It's weird that Matip is picked over Gomez as you'd think that Gomez is better suited to that hybrid RB/CB role more than Matip is. A lot of ground to cover. Unless it's a change back to a normal back 4. Then again Gomez v Antonio would be a worry.

I'm extremely surprised it's the same West Ham team again. I was full sure they would rotate a lot.

Gomez just been so so awful at centreback this season that I think he's taken himself out of the running as a serious option if others are fit. He's done quite alright at RB, but at CB he's been a travesty.

With the Trent positional switch, it's hard to call it as just a CB now. Hopefully Matip will be alright tonight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement