Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Unless space twin I don’t see how Shaw comes back

• Registered Users Posts: 25,608 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭ Koda Green Radial

Q can bring him back for the crack.

If he does come back I hope he is the Shaw of the first few episode… what a jerk ! I hope he is constantly drinking wine and insulting people #SHAWTREK

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I can’t Google this because it will most likely lead to spoilers and I have three episodes of season 3 left to watch.

How much of Picard is biological and is artificial?

Soong told him that he would age normally and that his new body had no special abilities like enhanced strength, etc. but I assumed it still an android body with synthetic skin.

However in episode 7 one theory for the theft of Picard’s human remains is that his need his blood to pass security checks at the villains’ ultimate target. So this means that Picard’s new body has his original blood, DNA, etc.

So is he not an android at all but something like the replicants in Blade Runner with an android brain?

Post edited by Spon Farmer on

• Advertisement

Just watched SURRENDER.

This season is without a doubt the most perfect TNG reunion. And also a bloody good adventure story.

I hadn’t expected much out of the character of young Jack and thought he was going to be another in a long line of bad Han Solo copies but fortunately he isn’t that at all and the writing and Speelers’ performance have made him a first rate addition to STAR TREK.

And Amanda Plummer is a top notch scene stealing villain.

I do have two criticism though - the over use of black in the various Starfleet uniforms. The red in the outfits Shaw and Seven have been wearing in the last couple of episode is way too dark. So much black makes the details and work put into the costumes easy to overlook. I’m so glad that the minds behind THE MANDOLORIAN choose to have more a large amount of colour. AND in ANDOR too - I don’t think anyone even wore black expect for a few Imperial uniforms but with the bright sets you could see the details.

The other thing is that Jack and Sydney should have had a few scenes (even one) together in earlier episodes that showed the budding friendship. But in episode 7 they are just suddenly buddies despite not even having any interaction all along.

Minor complaints though.

Think of it more like a clone body and human in every way. The confusion seems to come from the writers not being sure what synth or positronic means.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

• Registered Users Posts: 13,052 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Emergency Command Hologram

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭eadrom

Red Letter Media's review of episodes 8, 9, and 10. And the whole series, really. Opinions inline with my own.

I liked how they compared Star Trek and Star Wars doing nostalgia… Star Wars did it bad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I think a series with Shaw, and Jack would have been great.

But this is scí fi so who knows. Given Q m, Dáta and Picard all came back from the dead anything is possible.

It makes Christianity seem very reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 13,052 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Anyone remember a character called Cristobal Rios?

Or a ship called the Stargazer (which would have made way more sense than Titan-A but hey gotta get those designs canonised)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

I prefer slightly unimaginative STO ships than a copy paste fleet of a terrible design.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

He the lad who did a good job for Arsenal on loan from Barca?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,394 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Yes. But his history is odd, just turned up in LA one day and showed good skill at football.

All Eyes On Rafah

I was thinking that I must not know what positronics are myself because as far as I knew it is an artificial brain but from the dialogue it seems to say that it is his entire body.

I think it was a silly thing to do in the first place. The illness didn’t even affect him is season one until they needed to incapacitate Picard a couple of times and an entirely new body seemed extreme since he had been completely capable in mind and body through the whole season. Some kind of implant would have been enough but instead they decided he should be no longer human but still human. Or something.

The confusion Rios mentioned in season two is no longer funny when you suggest the writers didn’t seem to know what they think they know.

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's supposed to be just positronic brain, a concept inspired by Isaac Asimov. Asimov came up with the concept just after the discovery of positrons (the anti-matter version of an electron) so he thought "wouldn't it be cool to build an artificial brain based on positions rather than electrons?". Of course in reality, such a brain would destroy half the ship when the positions interact with normal matter so would have no basis in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

When Asimov wrote his first robot stories in 1939 and 1940, the positron was a newly discovered particle, and so the buzz word "positronic" added a scientific connotation to the concept.

Just the name, not that antiparticle was used in the robots.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,394 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Yeah......why is he building that big bunker again?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Acosta

bring back the delete option ffs

I wasn't expecting them to like it even more than I did. Really enjoyed that.

I got a good laugh out of their digs at Strange New Worlds too. And their bang on. Much of the dialogue on that show and Discovery feels like a bunch of young teenagers talking to each other.

I've been saying the same for ages. I heard someone joke they might as well call the next ship NCC:90210

Legacy will be the same if it's made.

I can only assume and have heard it said that Kurtzman had a very hands off part in the production of season 3 of Picard. If Legacy happens and he stays out of the way and let's Terry Matalas get on with it, then there's no reason it can't be decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,368 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Am I the only one who didn't like Jack? I couldn't warm to the character, or the actor.

Shaw was super.

Data, worf and LaForge were great. Riker too, but to a lesser degree.

The rest were okay.

I did think Q was underused in the previous season.

Overall, I found season 3 better but tapered away in quality to basic nostalgia.

Have you actually had a look at the Titan crew. It's practically Dawson's Creek in space.

Fans love to say Kurtzmann was hands off when they like a show. He was apparently hands off on SNW too and that's California as fek.

Terry Matalas made Picard season 2 I have little faith.

• Advertisement

Bring back the TNG era future accent. There needs to be more "whom" and no sentences ending in prepositions.

Advertisement