Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Great interview with Josh Van Der Flier in The Guardian last night. Well worth a read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

The original point was around players who have left Leinster and gone on to be successful. This mostly refers to players who have gone to Munster as Connacht and Ulster tend to get the dregs. In that context, the points around Conway are convoluted or misunderstood. Some people are talking about Conway liking / not liking Munster or whether he regrets his decision. Who knows, and frankly it's irrelevant. By any objective measure, it's hard to argue it was a good move for him. I'm sure he loves popping into Cork city for brunch on a Tuesday, but he's achieved nothing on the pitch in Thomond Park.

There was another comment being surprised that Conway's move has become controversial. It probably is to this day one of the most controversial moves in Irish rugby, up there with Carbery. He moved, in contract, to another province, having broken the first team (playing in almost every single league game, and starting every game in the lead up the Amlin Cup win). There was uproar at the time. There is some hindsight being 20:20 beyond that, he would have been a nailed on starter for Leinster from that point forward, but we don't know how much he could have predicted that at the time. Instead, he went to Munster and it wasn't until 2015/2016 where he got to the level of game time he was getting at Leinster.

It's also worth noting that he was one of the best underage international players we ever produced — he had 14 tries in the 16 under 20s games that he played. He was earmarked to be a top full international with bags of potential. He should have been a centurion, and he has missed out at times due to injury, but it looks like he'll have to make do with the couple of dozen caps he has now.

To bring it back to the original point — it's easy to argue he would have had a much better career if he stayed at Leinster and it's hard to point at anything he gained from making the move. He may not have wanted that for a myriad of reasons, but he would undoubtedly have added numerous medals to the trophy cabinet and been capped earlier and more often for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Bryan Byrne leaving bristol for Newcastle.

Would have been a nice pick up for Leinster. I think we need a decent option when internationals away. We have McKee but i wouldn't have much faith in Barron making it and McIlroy is a stop gap.

Gus mccarthy looks promising but probably needs 1/2 seasons still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

he would have been a nailed on starter for Leinster from that point forward

He might have become a nailed on starter. He certainly was nothing of the sort when he left and he took a long time to reach that level in Munster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

Yeah, that's fair. I tried to be careful of the language around what's subjective and objective, that's clearly a subjective opinion and should have been worded as "might have" rather than "would have". I don't think it's unreasonable to think that's what would have happened as he was virtually there already (playing in 23 of 31 games that season), but clearly there's a chance it wouldn't have happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Lol. He fled the scene before getting ye old heave hi.

Indeed, he's been brilliant. I think the best wing available when healthy.

The move is what he wanted. He's done well. It doesn't matter anymore, he's not coming back.

I don't know, fff. In my opinion, he's vastly better that DK or Ferg.

I wouldn't write Barron off. 1 poor outing! Brian Byrne was 3rd or 4th choice. He's rarely played for Bristol lately, as mediocre as they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭ersatz

Bizarre, I literally quoted what you wrote so if it's a straw man you introduced it!

Anyhow, someone should have that conversation with Conway about him having no reason to leave Leinster. From your POV did he just prefer the idea of living in Limerick given that there was no rugby reason for the move?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

You quoted a post and then ignored it and went on to argue against the idea of him regretting the move, a claim that wasn't made and as such you knocked down a strawman. Like other posters in the thread refuting claims that were similarly never made - that his move was a complete failure for him or that he didn't like being at Munster.

In your second paragraph here you're doing the exact thing again - no one has said he didn't have reasons in his own mind to leave Leinster.

The main point being made is that there is little objective evidence of how the move can be seen as a success on the field for a young star Leinster player who might be considering a move and has the goal to reach the heights that Conway had been hyped up to get to but never made it near. This is a trend for all the other potential 'star' young players who have left against the wishes of Leinster.

I'd argue the lack of this evidence is why posters keep arguing against claims that haven't been made.

Andrew Conway - 30 caps

Dave Kearney - 19 caps

Fergus McFadden - 34 caps

I'd put them all in the same class tbh. Think they're all good players who primarily picked up caps when the really top level guys were not available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I'm pretty sure David Kearney has 19 caps.

Correct. think the point still holds though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Ah Conway was a a cut above both those guys to be fair

Would he have gotten ahead of DK or Ferg. I believe he would have. It's all moot now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

In hindsight starting O'Tighernaigh and putting Alexis Soroka at 6 might have been a better idea against the Bulls. Would it have made them a bit more capable in the physical stakes? It's possible Soroka might be able to become a Beirne or Itoje-like figure at lock, but he's not there yet. At the moment I'd be thinking of him as a blindside. Milne in from the start would have been good too. He looks ready for a step up. It was weird to hear the commentator calling him 'Mil-nay'. Are we going to be treated to 'Boy-lay' when Jack Boyle breaks through?

A pretty grim day overall. This must be what it feels like for supporters of some other teams who face Leinster. Leinster just weren't able to hold on to the ball for long enough to get anything going. The word that springs to mind with McCarthy is hapless. I don't like kicking a guy when he's down, but to me the decision to not start Murphy was crazy.

The Bulls were making way too much ground with their 22 exits. They'd hoist a box-kick, and Leinster would mess up and they'd be 50m further up the field. It's disappointing Leinster weren't set up and prepared better against that.

Was some of the calling and non-calling of offsides by the SA assistants dodgy? It seemed a bit one-sided, and just what Leinster didn't need.

Cosgrave looks polished going forward and in his kicking game, but isn't a good tackler. Perhaps some 7s time might be the best thing for him at this stage, especially if there isn't going to be very much gametime going for him over the next year or 18 months.

Clarkson hasn't got good reviews, but I was reasonably encouraged by how he held up in the scrum and showed up in the loose. I think this performance was a step in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Conway's "achieved nothing on the pitch in Thomond Park" is right up there as one of the most bizarre takes I've ever read on here, fair play

He is clearly better than both.

Leinster had Darragh Fanning getting significant minutes on the wing in the season or two after Conway left.

It is where he ended up but that is a million miles from what the expectation for Conway's trajectory when he was coming through.

We'll never know if that was down to the hype being far too high or him not being in the best environment to excel. That seems to be a trend with all the guys Munster poach against Leinster's wishes, is it pure coincidence?

Again, a young star player moving to Munster and ending up winning nothing and 'picking up caps when the really top level guys were not available' is hardly a ringing endorsement for a young star player considering the move today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

You keep saying things like “trend” and “young star player” about players who have left.

Yet you’ve Leinster fans telling you Conway’s move was a success, while Carbery suffered practically 2 full years our injured that curbed his development.

Who else exactly qualifies as a “star young player” from “all the young guys Munster poach”?

Aungier was well hyped coming up. He took off too. Maybe, players just don't have the patience to hang around. Conway may be very pleased with how his career went.

I'm sure Beirne feels happy enough with his career as one who was released from Leinster.

Who's expectations? Every year there's at least 1 player coming through with huge hype and expectations. Conway is not the most hyped youngster in Leinster's history. There's players with hype that Conway had a better career. Hype means nothing. Some players just are at a level that we've never expected and the really hyped up players don't reach out lofty perceptions of where they should be.

Leinster fans can disagree - we're not a complete echo chamber here.

Welcome back to the conversation, despite you saying you were out a little while ago.

I listed them already - Conway, Carbury, and Jones were all flagged for big things from underage level and to be potential stars. Unlike the guys Leinster let walk, Leinster were very frustrated to lose them.

Salanoa is probably the other one in this generation they wanted to keep but it is far to early to see how he turns out.

You clearly weren't around when Conway was coming through if you think the hype for Aungier was anywhere close to Conway

I see your Fanning and raise you Mick McGrath (though not significant minutes).

We also wouldn't have had to bring in Kirchner either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,174 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

i disagree. Conway was absolutely one of the most hyped players coming into Leinster setup of the last 20 years. I don’t think that can be disputed. After that is a different matter

Well lads bit off topic but anyone know a good spot to park a short wheelbase van southside of the aviva Saturday for the Leinster game.i usually park at grand canal dock but it can be a nightmare to get out through the city centre after so I'm looking for somewhere that's pretty accessible to the long mile road instead.thanks again lads and point me in the right post direction if it's not ok in this post

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Welcome back to the conversation, despite you saying you were out a little while ago.

Why, thank you.

So… Felix Jones, who played 1 game for Leinster 14 years ago, and Salanoa, who played 59 minutes for Leinster, and indeed wasn’t Leinster produced?

You’re making this out to be a significantly bigger issue than it actually is in reality.

Advertisement