Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ways of living you never want to go back to

• 25-04-2023 3:26pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I never want to browse the internet without an ad blocker.

I never want to live in an apartment again.

I never want to own a car that doesn't have a key fob.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Addiction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I never want to work for a cúnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

smoking on planes / trains / in bars & restaurants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,733 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Paying 50+ a month for a reasonable amount of mobile data. Paying 15+ even.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Dslatt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭niallpatrick

Picking up passed out wino's from outside my and next doors front doors, getting 3 am door bangs some fella half cut with an open head wound looking for Seamie and having to compress his wound with a clean tea towel while my wife phoned the paramedics. We lived round the corner from 2 halfway houses/hostels which we weren't told about when we viewed the place and did ask 'any local problems'? The halfway houses was just the tip of the iceberg, that place was one shthole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Asking for directions abroad or god forbid, using an actual map to get around. Google Maps has changed the game for the better.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,425 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Having to ring any kind of establishment to book something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Or getting hopelessly lost abroad after having a few scoops. Amsterdam was the worst. Every street looks the same.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I'll probably never go back to mot having a little portable blutooth speaker that I can hang off my bag strap when I'm walking/cycling. Gamechanger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Living in the middle of Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,557 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I never want to houseshare with randomers again, thankfully i'm too old and hopefully comfortable for that to happen.

Would also gladly never go to a music festival again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Having a bath once a week and no shower so daily sink washing in a freezing bathroom was required.

Paying in cash and having an annoying haul of little brown coins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Fair enough remember that but still use the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭NattyO

Going to nightclubs

Being stranded if your car broke down

Not being able to buy anything out of the ordinary or paying through the nose if you could find it

Trying to drive abroad using a map

Relying on an out of date Lonely Planet book to find your way around a strange city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭FazyLucker

Commuting. Never ever ever ever again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭monseiur

Having to visit a travel agent (+numerous phone calls) and wait for ages in a queue to book a weeks holiday abroad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,276 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Having to find something worth watching on live television. Streaming services and torrenting have changed watching television so much since my childhood that my own kids can't imagine not being able to simply decide what you want to watch and being able to watch it no matter the time of day.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Destructive and life-threatening alcoholism.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭NattyO

I'm old enough to remember when we didn't have to find anything to watch because there was only one channel, so the choice was watch what was on or watch nothing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Esho

Washing in cold water

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Travellers Cheques.

Looking on in bewilderment at the choice of items in the UK, America etc. for your chosen past time, sport or hobby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Having to watch advertisements during a movie.

Following a religion out of fear and ignorance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

An outside long drop toilet without heating.

Buying **** I don't need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,624 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'll add listening to ads between songs to this. Commercial radio is complete azz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,487 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I was going to post about the choice. Growing up in rural Ireland if you needed a part for a thing, to be told "The only place you might get that is <one specific shop in Dublin>. I remember the graphics adapter in my Amstrad 464 going sometime in the late 80s, and a trip to Dublin was the only possibility of a replacement part. Now, you just go onto Amazon. If you need something really really obscure, you go onto eBay.

• Advertisement

Wearing masks or have to prove you've been vaccinated.

Being told by government you can't travel 5km from your home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Working in an office 5 days per week!

I can see how Spotify is the best choice for most people. It's just not for me. I am a vinyl addict and can't bring myself to 'lease' music. I want to own it. So I use my phone as a giant Walkman. I get ones that allow micro SD cards and I load it up with MP3s. Preferably 320kbps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,524 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Flatsharing. It's been a while but still, hated it so much, apart from when I lived with friends.

Seconded on that one.

My sister moved into a flat share with her two closest friends when at college. I don't know what happened but after 2 years they fell out and as far as I know about 20 years later they still arent speaking.

While I have heard people say they made some of their best friends when flat sharing. I know of more than one set of friends who moved in together and now don't talk or fell out somehow.

• Advertisement

I never had a flat earther, but a few people were at a similar level of crazy. And some of them took the phrase "taking liberties" to the extreme.

Staying in a 16 bedroom dorm in a hostel in Australia.

I backpacked around Asia back is 2005. If given half the chance to do the same around South America I'd jump at the chance. Is backpacking around Australia a thing, given the vast emptiness of most of it?

Yes it is, but think it's more like people living in the city's temporarily because it's cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Covid and all the restrictions

Both diesel and a manual gearbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

please go back to not having one, nobody wants to listen to your music etc, while you pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Being a parent to anyone who's not a teenager.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Tork

Not having a mobile phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Sharing the house with a prick who was forever using the kitchen.

Starvin. Just wanted to get a fried egg and disappear to my room, and the cnt would be making all sorts of stews and roasts til all hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Getting public transport.

I'd rather spend twice as long in the comfort of my car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I never want to own a car that doesn't have a key fob

as opposed to what exactly? I don't see fobless vehicles dominating the market necessarily...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Tork

Travelling to London by ferry and bus. Did it in the 90s before Ryanair's cheap flights became a thing. It was all the good stuff: the choppy 3-hour ferry crossing on a dingy boat surrounded by some interesting characters. The clinking duty-free where you could buy boxes of Major and bottles of booze. On disembarking in the utopia that is Holyhead, the scramble to find the right bus to London. Because most of the drivers had decided to liven things up a bit and not display their destination city on their buses, you'd hone your telepathy skills. And that's before you'd get onto the infernal bus and start the interminable drive south. The highlight was a stop-off at some jaysus service station at ungodly o'clock to visit the jacks and sip on some sort of hot drink that was allegedly coffee. And still, London was hours away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

In France… living next door on one side In apartments to a couple who were either shagging at 280 dB or roaring and calling each other all sorts of expletives at 360 dB and I think it may have got physical once or twice, certainly furniture was kicked or thrown….herself ended up with a shiner once, but you’d see them later the next day, looking in a desperate state but holding hands. I was much younger and didn’t have the nerve to intervene…aside from smacking the wall out of it…to attain quiet and sleep which happened about every 4 or 5 weeks.

the shagging would have been on returning from the pub around 1.30 am… not a pleasant image, rough pair and she looked like Worzel Gummidge in drag… probably a little harsh on Worzel but anyway.

the fights / arguing was always at stupid o’clock in the mornings like 3am or 4am on a Saturday or Sunday morning and drink fuelled.. They were both Irish, Limerick and Kildare people if memory serves me and the arguments never seemed to be about anything aside from who could be more infuriating and insulting about stupid shît….

• Advertisement
Advertisement