Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

3 days after our biggest ever defeat! 3 days to the heino semi and we're talking bout Conway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I haven't really been paying too much attention to the Conway stuff, but it's at least a distraction from my increasing nerves about this game. I really don't have a good feeling about it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

One thing that’s being overlooked about Conway by posters saying he wasn’t in the best environment to excel / poor coaching etc.

A large part of the reason he doesn’t have as many Ireland caps as he might is because Earls and Zebo, two guys getting the self-same training as him, were being selected ahead of him for Ireland for large swathes of his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭ersatz

More bizarre than the last one. You’re arguing that Conway shouldn’t be happy with his caps and his Munster career because of how well Leinster have done…that’s literally what you wrote. A) you can’t possibly know what he thinks, B) he might not have made any progress in Leinster and would have been less likely to get caps as a result. That’s likely the logic he used when choosing Munster. He’s got a great career out of it, I’d say he’s happy other than being pissed off with the injuries.

if anything Conways is a story that should inspire Leinster guys who struggle for first team rugby to gtfo, but you’ll find as many stories (like Byrne) where things don’t pan out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Can't say I remember it that way (not that my memory is flawless or anything). Its a pretty bold statement given the players who have come through in the last 20 years.

I remember being mildly annoyed he left, and it didn't seem the wisest move in the following years considering how he got on at Munster vs the standard of wingers playing for Leinster. But he also had one HEC appearance and was a bit part player in the squad until after he decided to leave really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,174 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I actually agree with you on the attitude to him leaving. I was just referring to the hype of him coming into the setup out of schools/u20s. The guy was outrageously dominant at schools level. I would put him up with Fitz, Ryan, Larmour in terms of early hype. Obviously your mileage may differ etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

In fairness, to echo the above he was probably the most dominant schools player ever. Was top try scorer in U20s 6 N. Got a full contract directly out of school, no academy. He was enormously hyped (and rightly so).

It was three years later when the hype levels had equilibrated that he moved to Munster - he hadn’t continued on the same trajectory he’d set at school’s level and we had other options at the time, which probably explains why you were only mildly annoyed.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,801 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Maybe people are misremembering Andrew Conway as Eoin oMalley, for whom there was a lot of excitement and hype around.

I can't say I recall that much hype around Conway , other than having a solid 12/13 season that was pretty much also his breakthrough season. The season before he had only 4 starts.

Nacewa was undroppable, Dave Kearney started every league game he was fit for, and whenever Luke Fitz was fit he started, though that was seldom enough.

So I guess Conway saw too many obstacles ahead of him for game time at Leinster and made the decision to move. Fair dues for the young man, that showed confidence and balls. Maybe his Munster career isn't showered in medals, but he's made it's a damn good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,174 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

• Advertisement

No, I think what people mean was there was significant hype on Conway before he played for Leinster. Which i think there was. He was I believe for a while the joint highest try scorer in U20 RWC history (alongside Zac Guildford). People thought he was going to tear it up at senior level, but it didn't really happen for him at all straight out of the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

He talks a lot of nonsense. Absolutely no basis to saying Goodman to NZ. The clowns on OTB (bar Joe Molloy, and the new guy Shane Hannon seems alright) lap it up as a talking point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

There was definitely a lot of hype surrounding Conway. I think injuries stalled his progress for quite a while and it took a few years for him to really kick on even after he left Leinster.

He has done well to get as far as he has imo. Munsters inability to get the best from their back 3 was an ongoing issue for years.

yeah maybe, i dont recall too much hype about him from a leinster senior point of view, and certainly not ireland at that time. Im not dublin based so i wouldnt have heard too much about him from a schools point of view.

He struggled for gametime in his first few seasons as a senior player.

The reason i mentioned o malley is that he was touted to be BODs successor at 13 for ireland before he had to retire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Any idea of the tickets sold for Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

There was plenty of hype around Conway back when he first emerged. He made his debut at 18 and his pace was electric. I recall that night he chased down a Scarlets attacker and forced a knock on. It was replayed repeatedly and he was getting a decent amount of press:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hQAgvgjMBg

But the other parts to his game weren't there at all initially. He wasn't known as a great defender. His kicking game was fairly mediocre (and is now one of his strengths). He wasn't anything special under the high ball. Those elements of his game that Schmidt really valued took a long time to develop and I suspect Schmidt wasn't overly concerned with playing him until he addressed them.

Would be great to see him back in red and green in the near future. Has been a horrific couple of years for him and the complete lack of noise around him is concerning. He was interviewed back in the autumn and spoke about how he was aiming to return in late October but it all went very quiet thereafter.

Assuming he doesn't play again this season and is highly unlikely to be involved in the RWC wider squad, he'll have only 4 appearances in the guts of two years by the time the new URC season begins. He turns 32 this summer. Hopefully he gets back and plays a couple of good seasons in before he has to consider retirement.

looking at about 45k + at the moment.

those blue areas are all approx 60% full already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

I think the Conway thing is just about played out at this point, but I think it's worth addressing this.

I'm trying to be objective. Remember, the original point isn't about Conway's thoughts and feelings. I'm sure Conway had great craic on O'Mahony's stag weekend, or maybe he'll get a lovely warm feeling in his tummy when he thinks about one of those 4 victories he got in the 15 games he played in against Leinster, but the cold, hard reality is that he walks away from a decade of rugby with nothing tangible to show for his time there. Literally nothing. Achievement on the pitch is winning things. He's had 21 opportunities including the Rainbow Cup. None of them taken.

Sure, he scored a lot of tries for Munster, just like Craig Gilroy did for Ulster or Matt Healy for Connacht. I don't think that's the bracket he would have been aiming for. Matt Healy's club career has been objectively more successful than Conway's Munster career since Healy actually won something.

Again, like I said before, Conway's move can easily be used as a cautionary tale of not biding your time and waiting for your opportunity. He jumped early and it likely cost him game time for club and country, as well as half a dozen trophies.

If it's a bizarre take, it should be very easy to make the counterpoint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Thanks mate. Should be a cracking atmosphere, looking forward to it

Matt Healy's club career has been objectively more successful since he actually won something.

Conway has a Celtic league meal and a challenge cup winners medal.

Objectively, his career is more successful than Healys

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

This:

I'm trying to be objective

Immediately followed by this:

I'm sure Conway had great craic on O'Mahony's stag weekend

Doesn’t come across as entirely objective tbh.

If you think the take is bizarre, make the counterpoint.

The counterpoint, with regards other players, is that past results don’t guarantee future results.

I think it’s fair to say Munster underachieved since Conway joined a decade ago. And at the moment, it looks like Leinster’s dominance will continue.

But with Sexton and Lancaster leaving, there’s a lot of flux. Who knows how the next decade may go.

Right — which he won playing for Leinster. The statements about Conway are scoped to his career with Munster, but yeah that part definitely reads misleading in fairness. I edited for a bit more clarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Yes, a cross provincial move which reaps major benefits including many Ireland caps which came directly as a result of being in a kick heavy system under Erasmus (it's widely accepted that Conway's tireless kick-chasing which he developed under Munster coaching staff was one of his USPs which got him into the Irish team) means nothing because Munster didn't win the Heineken Cup during that time.

Daft stuff.

To be clear, I'm not making a judgement about Conway as a player. Yes he improved. He was always going to improve, he was very young when moved. But are you telling me you'd try and convince a player to swap provinces using Conway's career as an example because, despite missing out on a lot of winning that he would very likely have been a part, he got good at chasing a kick (something which equally could have happened if he stayed at Leinster)?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DelMcG

An awful lot of chat about a Munster player in this here Leinster thread...🤔

In other news, despite the vague comments from Cork's ambassador to La Rochelle, Goody will NOT be forming part of Scott Robertson's coaching staff at the All Blacks

The only concern I would have is that there are THREE Super Rugby clubs losing their head coaches to the All Blacks with that ticket, so he could still be a man in demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think people are massively overreacting to ROG's comments - he just said it would be a possibility that Robertson may want Goodman on his coaching ticket. Hardly an outrageous suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Skyfloater

So who is Jordan Larmour, 1.78m/5'10" going to be up against under the high ball? Thomas Ramos is also 1.78cm, but who will be on the wing?

And yes I know lack of height isn't everything when catching a ball, but will Toulouse see him as a weak point. I kinda hope they do as whatever about their own much vaunted counter attacking skills, Larmour isn't too shabby either.

Against the Sharks they had Lebel and Mallia on the wings. Mallia isn't especially big, but is a good fielder. Lebel is bigger, but I would say isn't as good under the high ball.

Height isn't the primary factor IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Clontarf_Jazz

99.9% of the supporters who will be at Lansdowne Rd at 15.00 this Saturday don't give a flying **** about Andrew Conway or your failure to mention his elephant in the room off field issues. Christ almighty you are shower of masturbatory **** fighting ancient battles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

This idea that Larmour is poor under the high ball is overblown. He's been fine this, no worse than any of the other back. Keenan spills plenty of balls in his own right, no one would consider him weak under the high ball. It's more about defensive positioning on a team level imo, making sure there are supporting players available to assist and not leaving someone isolated.

Advertisement