Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 150 canned :-(

Options
  • 26-04-2023 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭

Just got an email in the past hour that the new WW150 route is being pulled:

Following safety advisory meetings with the main public body stakeholders and accepting their recommendations, we are taking the difficult decision to not proceed with the new 150Km route for the Wicklow 200 cycle.

Being offered switching to either to 100 or the 200. Anybody any insights as to what happened? Guards digging in the heels or councillors throwing a hissy-fit that ambulances wouldn't be able to get through? In either case, it's a pity as it was an interesting route

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

probably the effort of extra sign on/ marshals/signage/stops for the numbers signing on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

probably the effort of extra sign on/ marshals/signage/stops for the numbers signing on

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭gmacww

Given that the 100 and 200 are both proceeding as planned the likelihood of "Guards digging in the heels or councillors throwing a hissy-fit" is extremely small. As suggested above I'd bet the 150 route had minimal registrations and the additional effort to sign, marshall, plan food and safety and post race tidy up just wasn't worth it I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

It was a fools errand anyway after changing the course as much a they did. In saying that though, It's going to leave those on the 200 without an early out option. I can see a number of riders on the 200 just taking the 150 route anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I really wouldn't put anything past the Wicklow gardai. A number of clubs have had issues with races in and around Glendalough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Are they not offering a refund?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

They are - either that or switch to 100/200 as you wish.

I find it a slightly odd decision in that the route itself was effectively a short-cut on the 200 route, turning left at Holywood and going over the Wicklow Gap with the 200 looping on south and going over Sliabh Mann and the Shay Elliot. The email does refer to "safety advisory meeting" with "main public body stakeholders" which doesn't suggest issues with marshalling a 3rd route. Maybe concerns that it's a busier road or concerns about ambulance cover for going over the gap.

Anyway, I've 6 weeks to find an extra 50km and 1000m odd climbing from somewhere. I'll see what sort of shape I'm in after the Orwell Lite this weekend 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

You could just take the short cut too and do the 150 as you planned to. It's not like the roads are closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭gmacww

What was the 150 route difference in any case? Was it just turn at Hollywood and go straight to Laragh GAA? Wonder if any other event is on in and around Glendalough on the same day? I recall about 10 years ago doing an event that went up WGap from Glendalough but coming down it was a running race. Was absolute carnage with bikes runners and traffic on what was a sunny weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

Advertisement