Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Check if your energy bills have come down.

Your house will only get warmer if you turn up the thermostat. The boiler might be working less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

No doubt haha, it’s interesting to see nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Exactly - interest rates are doing there thing. Most mortgage products sold by the high street banks are 1-1.5% higher now than this time last year.

A 200K Mortgage at 3% last year for 25yr had monthly repayments at €950, probably around €1100 for the same today. To get a mortgage of repayment of €950 the amount you could borrow would drop to about 175k. This is really rough calculation, but higher interest rates and the higher payments will start impacting on prices. Will always be a bit of a lag, already happening in a lot of Euro Countrys but demand still looks strong here so hard to gauge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Here is an update on the timeline of our mortgage application and house purchase from November 2022 to April 2023. Just to note we had a second hand house in mind and as there were no other bidders the initial phase was pretty swift. We were then delayed with a planning issue for about 6 weeks or so. Even with a pretty straightforward purchase it took about 5 months all in all.

November 2022

W/C 14/11: First Viewing with EA, BER Certificate provided

Various emails over and back to EA with questions and queries

W/C: 28/11: Mortgage application submitted

December 2022

02/12: Second Viewing

W/C 12/12: Mortgage Application went for processing

January 2023

W/C 02/01: Mortgage Approval received, First offer submitted

W/C 09/01: Initial offer rejected

Seller confirmed he would go a certainly amount below asking

Revised offer submitted, and accepted

W/C 16/01: Instructed Solicitor of agreed Sale Price

Gave Solicitor details to bank & EA

Bank Valuation completed & paid for

Booking Deposit paid to EA

Bank confirmed valuation in order

Mortgage Protection organised, pending start date

House insurance organised, pending start date

Contacted EA to arrange another viewing of the property.

February 2023

W/C 30/01: Our solicitor received & reviewed Contract Documentation from Seller Solicitor.

We met EA & Seller at the house. Seller had reviewed all contents and advised that was stayed, if we wanted same. We agreed closing for 1st week April to allow Seller to get organised.

Our Solicitor forwarded on Contract Documentation and list of items of note on same. She advised to go ahead and book our Survey at this point, and provide land registry plan to the surveyor so the previous extension could be checked and also the land boundary. Booked the Survey for the following week and posted relevant documentation.

W/C 06/02: House Survey completed.

W/C 13/02: Pre-Purchase Survey Report received. All in order except one issue with planning.

W/C 20/02: Contacted EA to advise of issue raised and make contact with Vendor to rectify same. Revised Certificate of Compliance requested. Various over and back with EA and solicitor

March 2023

W/C 06/03: Revised Certificate received

W/C 13/03: Solicitor confirmed all in order

W/C 20/03: Contract signing on our end and all mortgage documentation

Put Mortgage Protection and Home insurance in place

April 2023

W/C 03/04: Seller signed contracts

Solicitor requested mortgage funds from bank

W/C 17/04:  Mortgage funds released to solicitor  

Solicitor advised us to arrange a final inspection of the property.

Transferred LPT amount to solicitor, pro-rata, to be refunded to seller.

W/C 24/04: Collected the key - Sale Closed!  

My two cents on the process of buying a house in Ireland

Everything moves really, really slowly, and it can be incredibly frustrating and stressful.

The seller wanted to be present during our viewings, I know this is not the norm, but we accommodated it, but my advice to anyone else who has this request, SAY NO IMMEDIATELY. Just try to keep it professional and its much easier just to deal with an EA and through solicitors.

You have to keep on top of everyone, including your own solicitor, to get things done. For a finish I didn’t really care who I was annoying, I just kept in contact with everyone on a continuous basis, and followed up regularly.

Issues that come up once you go Sale Agreed are incredibly common, so prepare yourself for this, and also the possibility that the issue will be more serious that you first think, and could end up in you having to walk away from the sale. I think we went into the process very naïve, and felt that once you go Sale Agreed that was everything sorted. Really that is where the hard work really starts! Not trying to put anyone off, but just to be realistic, and don’t let your heart govern your head.

Wait until your solicitor has reviewed the Contract from the seller before arranging your survey so that they can check the boundary on the land registry form at the same time.

Choose a good surveyor that gives you a thorough and honest report, an is open to queries afterwards. If I was doing it again I would have been more selective, used an engineer that came through a survey website, and he really wasn’t that great, just wanted to be paid and move on.

Whatever deadline you have in your head that the sale will close….add at least a month for comfort!  

This is great advice.

"Whatever deadline you have in your head that the sale will close….add at least a month for comfort!"

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

What i actually mean is that it colder just as fast when you switch off the heating. Difference in temp between night time and morning, no different to before. BER is way higher though :)

Check if energy bills have come down. LOL. I dont think we will find anyone whos energy bills have come down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭This is it

Our timeline is very similar to this, we're buying a vacant property. We had a closing date set at 10 weeks after going sale agreed. Everyone told us that it's unlikely and you never close when you expect to but me being me I thought "nah, not us. Everything will go smoothly...".

Ended up delayed by 5 weeks due to a planning issue but funds were released to our solicitor today and we're due to get keys on Friday. Perfect timing with the BH if all goes through! :)

It is such a frustrating process but like you I pestered everyone. I was emailing or calling our solicitor every 2nd or 3rd day. If things slowed down on the vendor side I was on to the EA asking him to push it along, which they did a few times. We were lucky to have a fantastic broker and solicitor. We got multiple quotes for a solicitor, the one one we chose was in around the middle. That's not to say a cheaper one would've been slower but we're very happy with the one we chose.

Fingers crossed for Friday.

Congratulations well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭kaymin

Provisionally have gone sale agreed on my house in 8 days. 3 bidders were bidding and counter-bidding before the first viewing. Had over 30 bids overall. 7 different parties bid in the last 24 hours before I set a deadline for best and final bids - I'm now proceeding to go sale agreed with the highest bidder. Still getting enquiries about viewing the house but am hoping to take it off the market as soon as the booking deposit is paid. In total I received about 60 enquiries to view the house. Dublin suburb. House doesn't need any work done and I think that's what appealed to alot of people.

• Advertisement

Aw that is great news, Congratulations! Great funds have been released, esp if you are trying to get in ahead of the rate hike. Perfect timing for the BH weekend! Picking up the keys is an amazing feeling I have to say.

We were the same on the time line, I was so naive even when everyone told me it was unlikely we would get in that fast. Same as that the planning issues delayed us by about 6 weeks all in all, weeks were just lost waiting for responses and you just felt like you were in the middle of it all, but you couldn’t actually do anything.

Total agree, pestering, in the nicest possible way, is the only way to go. I was on to our solicitor and the EA multiple times, when things slowed I just got on to them again. The EA was great I have to say, while I know he was working for the vendor, the vendor was slow to move on stuff, but the EA keep on to him, and did get things moving and sorted out.

Fingers and toes cross for you for Friday! Congrats again!

Are ye guys all doing a pre closing inspection?

My solicitor just messaged me and advised me to contact the Estate Agent to try organize one this evening ahead of closing tomorrow. I know the place has a clean bill of health follow the survey, bar the woodworm which the vendor kindly fixed and I got evidence of same.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,915 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I did when I bought. It’s more to make sure they haven’t left a load of their crap in the house that you’ll have to pay to get rid of, or that some other damage hasn’t happened since you last viewed it. It’s just basically a quick walk around to make sure you’re happy before the sale is finalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

New to the thread. Just my 2c so far .

Had previous credit issues , so i knew even getting approved would be a drastic struggle, but thanks to a brilliant broker and lots of patience we got there in the end.

got mortgage approval on the friday 14th april and went sale agreed on the monday 17th!!

we put in a bid of asking price a week earlier , but ended up in a bidding war and paying 12k over asking :(

So fast forward a week and we have mortgage protection ready to go and the structural survey complete with no major issues.

Valuation was done on friday but the valuer still hasnt sent me the invoice to pay despite me calling him 3 times!!

so as far as im aware things have progressed incredibly quickly so far , id imagine things will slow down now .

Currently awaiting the loan offer , hoping PTSB dont come back looking for bank statements and more payslips as we literally went sale agreed straight after receiving approval ( anyone have any opinions on this?)

Anyone know how long the loan offer usually takes? im presuming that since the guy that done the valuation still hasnt invoiced me , that the fecker still hasnt sent the valuation to the bank!!

I got my full loan offer about 3 or 4 days after the valuation was completed.

PTSB didnt ask for any more docs.

I am in Dublin and the lad doing the valuation was proactive, called me early, took his fee, went and did the valuation at 11 am the next day. They probably use the same people all the time for the valuations.

But might be different depending where in the country you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

cheers ,

ill get on to him again today if i dont see the invoice coming through.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Our solicitor noted the same, but the EA was away at the time, and we were so eager to close we didnt end up doing one. We knew from previous viewings that all was in order, and the one outstanding issue had been sorted out. When we got the keys the house was immaculate, vendor must have had professional cleaners in as the house is extremely clean, including the oven, fridge, all the windows etc. Delighted as saves us a job!

I think if there was a lot of stuff in the house at the last time of viewing might be worth doing on to ensure everything has now been removed. Our house was practically empty at the viewings so we felt we were safe enough without one

Best of luck, the end line is in slight!

Thanks very much.

Yeah had asked them to take a few bits out of the house and from outside.

I drove past Monday night and all the bits I had mentioned like the potted plants and flower boxes were gone.

Funds were released by the bank and sent to vendors solicitor on Monday, presume they wouldn't have shown up until Tuesday.

My solicitor emailed me this morning and said she hadn't got the deeds yet.

Hoping to get my key tomorrow and have my moving truck booked for Saturday.

I know I am am almost there but its very nerve wracking. Can't concentrate at work at all today.

Very angsty and anxious.

We're still on course to get keys on Friday. Solicitor asked us to check the place over before then so I'm meeting the EA tomorrow. It's a vacant property so not expecting any changes but happy to take a quick look, it's only 5 minutes from where we are now.

First viewing of our house on Saturday l, it feels weird.. anyone else feel that way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭FledNanders

Our house is for sale at the moment, second time round after it was sale agreed already but fell through.

Anyone know if there's any way for our new buyer to re-use the survey report which our previous purchaser had done? (As long as the new buyer is amenable to that of course.)

Speed is of the essence for us now so any way to save time would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yes, it is your private space. Even if you have guests over you are typically there with them.

What we did was rent a Nesta storage locker to put a lot of stuff in there, declutter \ depersonalise the areas for the viewing. So we were getting it halfways towards a 'show room' feel at that point.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

We’ve done a lot of that decluttering but with kids a bit harder to keep putting stuff away and taking it back out. But in general our house isn’t really messy just the the typical house with a 4 and 2 year old nut cases haha

Was supposed to be closing today.

My solicitor just called me and said the vendors solicitor hasn't furnished evidenced of the LPT with a zero printout.

She is on the phone haranguing them for it now so hopefully get this over the line today.

Very best of luck with today, really hope you get it over the line. We were ment to get our keys on Friday last, but vendor said he wasnt ready so had to push to Monday. I know its only a weekend, but at that stage you are just dying to finish the process. There always seems to be something at the last minute unfortunately, but hopefully the LPT can be sorted out as its only a minor issue all going well.

1000% agree on it being so nerve wracking, I am absolutely wrecked this week after it all, it felt like full on stress for months and months, different issues, constantly chasing people. I was completed zoned out at work all last week, just felt so hard to concentrate.

But it is all so worth it, just hang in there, keep your fingers firmly crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭TheRona

I was in the exact same situation. We ended up closing without the LPT printout, on the basis that they guaranteed they would supply it. I just wanted an end to the whole painful process.

Yeah if the solicitor cant get it sorted today I will close tomorrow regardless and just pay the LPT myself if it comes to it.

I am getting those keys today or tomorrow come hell or high water.

I am buying on my own so don't have the support of a partner, thanks to ye for the moral support lads ye are all brilliant, would genuinely be lost without it.

Probably be sorted by end of Business today - had same issue as end of year for LPT is 31-10-20** --->31-31-20**+1. i purchased house in early November.

So the seller paid it, but I reimbursed them for the full amount.

It is simple enough to pay online afterall.

We paid solicitor, stamp duty and LPT portion yesterday. Checked out the property today to make sure all the walls were still there, on course for keys tomorrow \o/

• Advertisement

Yeah my solicitor just emailed me said she is working on it now and it should be sorted by the end of the day.

Advertisement