Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Has the likes of Mogg and his fellow toffs not done enough damage with their mad project - Brexit - without heading down a fascist route?

Exporting refugees to Ruanda with absolutely no right to return is bad enough. However, there is no way for any refugee, no matter how well qualified in escaping from appalling war torn regions like Syria or Yemen, of being able to get access to the UK by legal means. There just is not.

Of course, Russian oligarchs have no problem bringing their stolen roubles into London to buy gracious homes, sending their children to learn English (with the right accent) at expensive boarding schools. Even, with a few generous contributions to the ruling Tory Party they might, just might, get a seat in the House of Lords.

They have introduce voter suppression measures with ID requirements that favours Tory voters. Also, given police extra powers to suppress protests that are against the Government.

What a corrupt and nasty place the Tories have constructed for their chums.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Why would they stop? It's not in their nature and, more to the point, continuing is the only option they have. They can't win the looming election with intellect and reason so they have to rig it. However, they can't rig it so they'll have to try and distort the result, say with biased voter ID laws designed to solve a problem that never existed here. If only they had a junior supply & confidence partner from not too long ago they could consult...

Cruelty sadly plays well with the base, the racist variety much more so particularly when presented by a BAME home secretary or two to really own the libs.

Such measures sadly work. Well, they do until they very suddenly don't. Nowhere has been levelled up and the man who won their majority is now earning proper money on the US speaking circuit. They're left with the shortest serving PM in history (save George Canning who died in office) and a man who scoffs at the notion of having working class friends.

I honestly expect it to get worse from here. The blue wall is looking slightly vulnerable to an assault from the Liberal Democrats and the red one hasn't established a connection with the Tories though the one with Labour has been severed. They have no ideas on what to do about climate change, inequality (which they don't even see as a problem), energy and food security, antibiotic resistance, innovation or how to deal with the EU going forward.

They're done.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 18,477 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The bizarre thing about these types of "culture wars" and divisive politics is that many of the main protagonists don't even believe in any of it. Does anyone think the Tories are remotely bothered about refugees in dinghies or that they lose sleep every night over it? It is beyond cynical, the worst type of politics....pitching divisive policies at racists and bigots, even though they don't even believe in the stuff themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭AllForIt

You mean like Diane Abbot telling her constituents that black people suffer more racism than everyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,627 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

No because I think she actually believes that which is the exact opposite of what was just said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,330 ✭✭✭✭Water John

With their plan to export their asylum seekers to Rwanda, surely they can organise to get UK citizens out of Sudan. This account from Leila Latif on how they got no help is very alarming. This is what you get when you have idiots in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The important thing is they're not middle-class lefty activist types, they really do know what's best for the true British working class.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,594 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The tweeter doesn't watch GB News but promotes it and gives widespread attention to Mogg and GB News.

The Fox News effect. People who don't like it talking about it making it more famous than it actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,158 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

This is BRILLIANT

I'm going to bed with such a big smile on my face

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,939 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Starting to look like her excuse that it was a draft sent mistakenly was a complete lie as she sent the exact same letter to the observer twice within the space of a few hours

Shocking.

Has there ever been a politician who has sounded sincere with these excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Does actually suggest technical incompetence.

But regardless, how could what she sent have been changed much by it only being a draft?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

That was brilliant. Rees-Mogg was the sort of person that, were he alive at the time, would have been implementing nonsense economic policies while the Irish died by the hundreds of thousands in the mid-nineteenth century.

A rather transparent attempt at shutting down criticism of the British right.

GB News doesn't exist to draw viewers. It exists to make the case to Americans that morally bankrupt media corporations are the norm everywhere by sharing short clips of grifters like Neil Oliver and Nigel Farage.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Naw it is important for people to see Rees Mogg being shown up as the absolute clown he is and I doubt that many are seeing it live.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,477 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I've heard an interesting theory that the channel exists in order to get clips from the shows out onto social media and to promote the agenda of the owners / backers. This is the real aim, manipulation of social media.

I think we've heard the same theory. It's a way for Americans to justify their partisan media by showing that regulation doesn't work.

H. H. Asquith

It seems like when something is trending on Twitter it's often people against the hashtagged person/idea/situation. It's like half of Twitter is too stupid to understand how Twitter works.

If I want to promote let's say the "Breezy1985 car free city" policy by posting it on Twitter. It won't be green activists and cyclists that will have me trending no.1 it will be all the red faced, hate filled posters screaming at me.

CA/IMHO operates the same way.

I don't think people should be retweeting GBNews if they are not supporters.

It isn't retweeting them though....I am retweeting someone who posted a clip directly which shows them up for the muppets they are. If it trends and more people see what a clown Rees Mogg is...good.

I was talking about the guy who did retweet them not yourself.

Anyone except the willfully blind know he is a clown. Stuff like this won't move the needle on things like the culture wars but does help legitimize GBNews the same way having Farage on Question Time every second week worked.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Needless to say, Purkiss' robust debate with Reese-Mogg had the right-leaning crying into their corn flakes; funny how those who scream loudest about Woke Culture or those wussy Gen Zs, especially given that was the supposed mandate of GB News, are the ones most brittle and incapable of the smallest amount of debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Ahwell

I don't really see how a clip of someone, on one of the stations own shows, undermining the stations bullshit 'anti-woke' raison d'etre helps legitimize GBNews.

Nor do I. Anyone aware of it knows what it is at this point.

H. H. Asquith

What about all the people who are not aware of it ?

I really don't think people should give it free advertising.

But we already know that. And the sharing of videos of these idiots doesn't expose them - it gives them more oxygen and more popularity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

One's opinion of Reese Mogg will be set in stone for 99% of people aware of him; sharing videos like this aren't going to swing mindsets - They're to enjoy the man getting a good seeing to. And given GB News can't buy an audience I'd not fear about it getting publicity either. it's sucking fumes as it winds up the small viewership who want to get angry about pronouns and climate collapse.

Though the likes of Reese Mogg are made of Teflon; no amount of invective, considered or emotive, is going to sway him. Even this video shows no contrition, no flicker of weakness - only the classical English superiority complex throughout.

A good seeing to? Who are these people that want to see idiotic politicians a good seeing to? Whatever that means.

It's this sort of voyeurism that has led to the more extreme media platforms like Fox News and GB News.

Barely anyone watches it. I don't think this is an issue.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

That video clip showed Mogg as an over-bearing interviewer who refused to allow his guest say anything without shouting them down - such ignorance. This from a person who pretends to be well mannered. However, he showed his ignorance when he lay down on the front benches of the HoC showing disdain for the proceedings.

What an ignorant oaf!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Simon Jones, chairman of the Norwich Conservatives, described it as a "dreadful mistake".

He said the leaflets were provided by Conservative Central Headquarters, adding: "I guess someone hadn't updated it."

Could just be an honest mistake by an honest party. But the timing is was close to the deadline.

https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

Register by 11:59pm on 28 April to vote in the local government elections in Northern Ireland on 18 May.

You can no longer register to vote in the elections in England on 4 May. You can still register for future elections.

Advertisement