Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reflection on the pandemic: questions about the authorities' response.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Long covid? Is that the condition with 100 or so symptoms that seems to disproportionally affect workers in the public service and can even affect people who've never tested positive for covid?

The mental gymnastics it takes to still see covid as a threat, and used by some to justify more jabs and call for continued use of face coverings, must be exhausting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭saabsaab

That seems to be the case. I know of two people that died within a year of getting covid and 'recovering' from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Long covid only affects people with good sick pay conditions.

Sick pay is the primary symptom.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,510 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Scurrilous nonsense completely without merit or foundation.

Evidence has been presented on thread linking long covid with increased risk of death.

Here is another study showing link to cognitive issues - you will note it includes older people so sick leave doesnt come into it.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpsy/article/PIIS2215-0366(22)00260-7/fulltext

By contrast you present zero evidence cos you know you have none. The strength / bluster of your post is trying to make up for that.

That which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence. In this case more than that - the overwhelming evidence shows your opinion to be utterly false and based on nothing but prejudice.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭hometruths

Older people at increased risk of cognitive issues. Hold the front page.

• Advertisement

Yes hold the front page. Or rather read beyond it.

If you read the article you will see the cohorts were matched by age.

"Analyses were stratified by age group (age <18 years [children], 18–64 years [adults], and ≥65 years [older adults]) and date of diagnosis."

Here is a study showing greater long covid in unvaxxed versus vaxxed children. Another age group not on sick pay.

https://www.contemporarypediatrics.com/view/long-covid-prevalence-and-severity-in-vaccinated-versus-unvaccinated-children

What will your next excuse be?

Should we assume by this post you agree with the earlier comment linking long covid only with sick pay?

Given you did not challenge that post which was presented without evidence. Yet did challenge the rebuttal evidence on a mistaken basis?

It wouldn't surprise me it there was a correlation between generosity of sick pay and higher rates of long covid.

But that's not to say I agree with the statement that long covid only effects those with generous sick pay.

I suspect there is also a higher rate of long covid amongst the unemployed. Another demographic not on sick pay.

And conversely I suspect there are lower rates of long covid amongst the self employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 13,089 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

"It wouldn't surprise me ...."

Dismissing hard evidence with statements like this , breathtaking really !

Maybe produce evidence to back your statements up , instead of filling a page with bias and prejudice.

In one post you not only cast aspersions on people who have " generous sick pay " ( lets take a punt who you are referring to there ?) And also those on " benefits " , unemployed .

But not the self employed ..no prejudice there .

Lets see what bias the next nugget of wisdom brings .

I am replying to the question of whether or not I agreed with an earlier statement.

I'm offering my opinion on that statement, not making "a statement of fact without foundation".

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,137 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

hotmail.com thtreadbanned

Never said or thought it was a statement of fact , as per my post .

You are entitled to your opinion however prejudiced and biased it is .

A simple search on Google would clarify things a bit if you were interested in more than just stating biased opinion .

A simple search on Google led me to some interesting articles about long covid in the UK:

More than twice as many civil servants reported that their day-to-day lives were being affected by long Covid last year than members of the public, new data reveal.

More than one in 10 – 10.8 per cent – said they had the condition in autumn 2022, with 7.4 per cent saying it was affecting their day-to-day life, compared to 3.3 per cent of the general public who said it was doing so.

That seems odd, why would civil servants have over double the risk of long covid affecting their day to day to lives?

And elsewhere:

People working in social care reported the highest prevalence of long Covid among employment groups (5.3%), followed by health care employees (4.4%) and civil servants and local government staff (4.2%).

Levels were lower among occupations such as financial services (2.4%) and hospitality (2.5%).

I get why health care employees might see the highest prevalence, but why would local government staff have such far higher prevalence than hospitality workers?

Maybe because they were mostly working public facing , while others were furloughed or wfh?

Maybe the answers are within the text ? Did you read them before posting ?

Need to consider that infection and long Covid does seem to be more severe as you get older and hospitality has greater numbers of younger people employed.

'The prevalence of long Covid continues to vary among age groups, with an estimated 4.5% of 50-69 year-olds likely to have symptoms, compared with 4.2% of 35 to 49-year-olds, 2.6% of both 25-34 year-olds and people aged 70 and over, and 1.5% of 17-24 year-olds.'

Edit . I can't read the first article as behind a paywall but not surprised at its slant/ leaning , because it is from the Telegraph .

Maybe because they were mostly working public facing , while others were furloughed or wfh?

Whatever about furlough, it seems unlikely that local government civil servants and local government employees were mostly working public facing whilst those in hospitality were wfhing!!

Need to consider that infection and long Covid does seem to be more severe as you get older and hospitality has greater numbers of younger people employed.

It seems to get better after the age of 70. Prevalence is highest in 35 - 69 year olds. Prevalence of secure employment contracts with generous conditions probably highest in that age cohort.

Edit . I can't read the first article as behind a paywall but not surprised at its slant/ leaning , because it is from the Telegraph .

The Telegraph article doesn't have a slant or a lean. It is a news piece reporting the findings of a survey carried out by the Civil Service and the findings of the a survey carried out by the ONS.

Where in your linked articles does it show that long covid "seems to get better after the age of 70"?

Studies have been cited on the thread showing increased mortality and cognitive issues from long covid, which manifests more in older people.

Therefore, one reason why this demographic could be under-represented is they are dead, or not engaged with filling out a self survey.

So there is no basis to state that it "seems to get better after the age of 70".

Also, are the occupation studies age controlled? Because otherwise the difference could simply be due to the different demographic in the employment. As well as the fact that hospitality was closed during peak outbreaks.

Additionally, study after study shows that the long covid has a real impact. In discussions about the pandemic response, it was valid and correct to point out that infections would have an impact in long covid cases, and this has public health, employment, welfare and disability implications. It is a real condition, there is abundant evidence of post infection impacts from other diseases, therefore it was reasonable to expect something like long covid given the infectiousness and severity of covid.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

Where in your linked articles does it show that long covid "seems to get better after the age of 70"?

The prevalence of long Covid continues to vary among age groups, with an estimated 4.5% of 50-69 year-olds likely to have symptoms, compared with 4.2% of 35 to 49-year-olds, 2.6% of both 25-34 year-olds and people aged 70 and over, and 1.5% of 17-24 year-olds.

In the post I was replying to. The one you thanked.

Nowhere does the article state anything about it getting better after the age of 70 or offer any interpretation to that effect. So the article \ study cannot and does not show that, and presenting that as a finding of the article \ study is misrepresentation.

To be clear - that is your own interpretation you have attached to the results. The data as gathered cannot be used to declare that as a statement of fact.

You are quoting my post but did not refer to me at all.

Whats the matter?

Anyway...

Why would over 70s have more generous salaries?? Think about it..

Mostly retired by that age so no advantage /disadvantage in declaring long Covid. As well as odyssey's explanation re. cognitive effects of LC and higher death rates in older age groups which would influence survey submission.

I was including those in hospitality in wfh of course . They were closed down in the beginning as well as being mostly a young cohort.

As regards the Telegraph, ... they have taken a very particular slant throughout the pandemic.. But as I said can't read it, behind a paywall, so will give you the benefit of the doubt there.. Do they talk about anything else except civil servants? 😁

Are you a Telegraph subscriber?

You are quoting my post but did not refer to me at all.

Whats the matter?

Eh?! I quoted your post and answered your points individually!

Why would over 70s have more generous salaries?? Think about it..

I didn't say anything about over 70s having more generous salaries. That's ridiculous. What I said was:

Prevalence is highest in 35 - 69 year olds. Prevalence of secure employment contracts with generous conditions probably highest in that age cohort.

i.e the age group with highest prevalence of secure employment contracts and generous conditions - 35 -69 - also has the highest prevalence of long covid.

Re over 70s, you correctly point out that:

Mostly retired by that age so no advantage /disadvantage in declaring long Covid. 

That's the same point I was making. The highest incidences of long covid are likely to occur in those cohorts with the most advantage/least disadvantage of declaring long covid. This is not surprising.

As regards the Telegraph, ... they have taken a very particular slant throughout the pandemic.. But as I said can't read it, behind a paywall, so will give you the benefit of the doubt there.. Do they talk about anything else except civil servants? 

You can read it here: https://archive.is/P462G

Are you a Telegraph subscriber?

No.

• Advertisement

Nowhere does the article state anything about it getting better after the age of 70 or offer any interpretation to that effect. So the article \ study cannot and does not show that, and presenting that as a finding of the article \ study is misrepresentation.

The passage that I quoted above explicitly states that the prevalence of long Covid in those over 70 is the same as as it is in 25-34 year olds, and significantly less than those aged 35 - 49 and 50 - 69.

Thats not the same as what was originally claimed and you know it. You said 'get better' not prevalence. Goalpost shift on an unfounded claim where you misrepresented the article content.

Its the prevalence of long covid in a voluntary study. Mortality is not recorded or cognitive impairment that would preclude involvement. Both of which the other studies cited on the thread show more severe in over 70s.

All the study shows is the recorded self declared prevalence. It doesnt consider severity by age group.

Going beyond that with talk of better or worse from the study is your interpretation. It is nowhere in the study findings or data.

Thats not the same as what was originally claimed and you know it. You said 'get better' not prevalence. Goalpost shift on an unfounded claim where you misrepresented the article content.

In this entire exchange about long covid, I have been talking about the incidence rates of long covid. Not the severity. Starting with my explanation to you:

It wouldn't surprise me it there was a correlation between generosity of sick pay and higher rates of long covid.

But that's not to say I agree with the statement that long covid only effects those with generous sick pay.

I suspect there is also a higher rate of long covid amongst the unemployed. Another demographic not on sick pay.

And conversely I suspect there are lower rates of long covid amongst the self employed.

And in commenting on this passage:

'The prevalence of long Covid continues to vary among age groups, with an estimated 4.5% of 50-69 year-olds likely to have symptoms, compared with 4.2% of 35 to 49-year-olds, 2.6% of both 25-34 year-olds and people aged 70 and over, and 1.5% of 17-24 year-olds.'

I said:

It seems to get better after the age of 70. Prevalence is highest in 35 - 69 year olds. Prevalence of secure employment contracts with generous conditions probably highest in that age cohort.

I thought it was obvious I was talking about the prevalence in over 70s, not the severity; apologies if it was not, and there is no problem if you simply misunderstood me.

But please don't badger me about shifting goalposts because of that misunderstanding.

For my part I thought it was obvious I was questioning claims to severity given the context of the post you replied to.

Let us say misunderstanding on both sides, so no call for apologies and move on now that clarity has been reached on that point.

There was no misunderstanding on my side, I never questioned claims to severity.

As I pointed out earlier, admittedly ineloquently with the hold the front page comment, I do not find it surprising that elderly people who get ill are more likely to have severe outcomes than young people.

But again you didnt say anything about it being after getting ill or post recovery ie from covid.

As written it suggested the cognitive issues were merely age based or due to aging alone rather than long covid impact magnified by aging.

"Older people at increased risk of cognitive issues."

Especially as there have been posts on the thread expressing the view of post infection issues as being all down to some sort of myth or all in the mind or sick leave scam - which is why the studies were cited, to refute this pov. Post infection impacts aka long covid are real and have dìsabling impacts, impacts on quality of life, impacts on mortality. All demographics including children affected albeit with different impacts. Not just those 'dodging work'.

With long covid it is not the initial illness impact of typical covid symptoms but lingering symptons which persist beyond 12 weeks or subsequently trigger other health conditions such as seizures in those timelines. Or impact mortality beyond 28 days from infection to use the UK definition.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

It is usual to quote an entire post rather than take individual lines out of context, so others can follow and not be led to believe incorrectly that a poster has said one thing when in fact it is just being quoted out of context.

So, no you didn't quote my post, you took lines out of context, which I am saying to you I find objectionable.

As regards what I did say... no, I did not agree that there was no disadvantage or higher advantage in anybody claiming that they have long Covid. I believe that most people would be reluctant to claim such a disability, and would find that the checks and balances of doctors' appointments and social services review systems would not make it an easy game to play.

There will always be a life hardened few who will try to claim anything that is going but I don't think that would apply to most, tbf.

I think that is a view of the type of person that the Telegraph panders to..(apparently, not you, you say.. Then why quote that publication and think it furthers any discussion?) ..those that think that anybody claiming any sort of benefit is somehow not deserving and putting their hand in the taxpayer's pocket.. Never mind that that social benefit is precisely what every tax payer would expect if they were ill themselves, and that is exactly why people pay their stamps...protection against illhealth and unemployment.

Only those on the rightwing (which are the main targets of that paper) would consistently imply that people who do actually apply for benefits are not deserving or are malingering.

Surely one cannot believe that is true either as a rule or across the board?

If that were true the Department associated with delivering these payments must have questions to answer about its screening and other practices?

You seem to imply that those who have no access to benefits like sick pay/health insurance are less likely to suffer from long covid?

I would ask you where you have read this, reliably, because I have seen no such data?

In fact the only data I have seen, is that there are so many people affected by Long Covid now that those who are are "unemployed" , are as a result of its effect and it is causing labour shortages in various industries as a result.

Post edited by Goldengirl on

I have read from a UK Home Office survey and a UK Office of national Statistics Survey that civil servants are disproportionately likely to have Long Covid. Civil servants (in the UK) are over three times as likely to have Long Covid compared to the general population.

That is a very significant difference, and hence there must be a reason for it.

I have no idea what that reason is, and I have not read anything that proves that cause.

The most plausible reason I can think of is that civil servants have far higher levels of job security and conditions compared to the general population. To borrow your phrase, as you put it there is no disadvantage in declaring Long Covid. Or at least less disadvantage compared to the general population.

I get that you don't agree with me that this is a plausible explanation. I am not trying to change your mind.

That's ok, it's not a big deal if we have differing views on the plausibility of this.

Fair enough.

• Advertisement

People without such benefits may 'soldier on'. Doesnt mean others arent suffering. Look at back pain say. A real and debilitating complaint. But also one some people might try to take advantage of. So it may be a factor but not the driving factor.

So it may not be 'a reason' as in single reason behind it but multiple reasons feeding into each other.

I would also question the validity to compare it to the general population ay large.

The civil service percentage was 4.2 percent.

Now look at the age breakdowns percentage:

4.5% of 50-69 year-olds likely to have symptoms, compared with 4.2% of 35 to 49-year-olds, 2.6% of both 25-34 year-olds and people aged 70 and over, and 1.5% of 17-24 year-olds.

If most of the staff are over 35 or there is a lot of over 50s this could push the average well over that of the general population.

You should also consider that government agencies / unionised employers may be more likely to have a higher number of people with pre-existing medical issues or physical disabilities. As they are scrupulous in adhering to legislation to accomodate such staff. And possibly long covid may hit harder in such cases.

Advertisement