Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,649 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users Posts: 9,334 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

He called out wilder dubois Joyce and Whyte and said he will gladly take dubois spot against Usyk too

bakole is too high if a risk with little reward for most of the top ten

one man that wanted to go up to heavyweight and fight fury was Babic who just got beaten by rozanski very convincingly

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Babic was never anything more than a comedy act.

Eddie Hearn must be laughing at losing the purse bid to boxxer

Babic was dreadful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Babich is awful, not a serious boxer and never was

bakole is another messer

Parker v django may 24th I’m Melbourne

Hahahahahaha good man. I know little of Django but didn’t Browne beat him? Surely there would have been a bit more value in Parker fighting him even if he is ancient now. Aw maybe not he was always horrendous. Judging by how Parker squeezed past Fa and how he got obliterated by the terminator it’s hard to just quantify how good he is.

• Advertisement

Zhang has confirmed joyce has requested the rematch

Not sure what to say about Parker but if Andy Lee and being around fury doesn’t help him we may as well forget him

I'd like to see Joe-Zhang again.

Funny: Both need to improve to ensure they win. Joe needs to improve in defence, upper body movement and snap on his shots

Zhang needs to start getting cardio fit. If both do what they need to, Zhang bashes him again! If Zhang doesn't improve fitness, and Joe improves in his areas, Joe wins mid to late rds

I betcha they make Joe a favorite at the bookies

Yep it has now become a very good match up. I dont think Joyce can be as foolish again. At 40 I dont expect that Zhang will be any cardio fitter I’d say he will go into the fight in very similar condition next time and Joyce will get the job done. Eagle eye might speak to us all again if Joe wins and he will have been right all along.

Yes, more likely that Zhang is the same as regards cardio. But can Joe make the changes at his age and with his set up to suddenly make him a deal better?

I know that it sounds simple: Move your head, block shots, use your feet. I just wonder can he do it successfully enough.

Personally all I think Joe has here on Zhang is cardio stamina......Zhang is cleaner, harder hitting, better feet, better defense and better ring generalship. The chin? Maybe Joe's is better, but I still maintain that if Zhang was fitter and really had the engine to up the pace, he knocks Joe out, or at least gets him out quicker than he did.

And hopefully my above take sees me elevated from "not having a clue about the sport," to having a lil clue about the sport!!!!

I think you have excellent knowledge of the sport. I think my own is a bit more limited but I have my opinion and often enough I think I call it right.

I’d agree with that but I think Joyce will come in a stone heavier and wont be as easy to shift about. He will still be mobile and can keep away from Zhang. Zhang shouldnt be allowed to win rounds throwing only power shots. Joyce should be throwing out the jab more. Round 3-5 his tactics were better but his eye was banjaxed already and the harm was done.

I’m gonna say Joyce late on maybe about 9.

You know, with this sport and knowledge, there is no such thing as “calling it right.”

Knowledge and ideas on the sport can be just like the judging a lot of the times, subjective!

You would definitely be in the aficionado category in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Can Zhang improve his cardio at his age? Also considering he hasn’t been overly active his whole career. I know big George proved everyone wrong but he was a freak of nature.

Glad you brought up George. I always felt that George didn’t necessarily improve cardio, but improved cardio usage and cardio management.

George had good stamina, but at times he went over-kill on effort..

Zhang at 40 can never get to Zhang at 30, but he can still get better than two weeks ago I reckon.

Was thinking the Foreman comparison might come up and its relevant yea.

I think Zhang winning 2 weeks ago was more down to Joyce getting it so wrong than him getting it so right. When you win you win, I get that, but Joe played right into his hands. I’m not taking credit away from him. He fought very well. Joyce couldn’t have been a worse suited version of himself. Zhang went in more or less exactly as he had gone in vs Hergovic and it worked but he didn’t prepare that specifically for what Joyce was likely to bring. Meanwhile Joyce lost a pile of weight, didn’t throw much and presented the usual open target, especially in Round 1&2. Any word about when and where it might be?

Joe threw close on 500 punches through 6-7 rds, and threw a lot more than Zhang. I don't think his volume/workrate was an issue, and we need to consider that Zhang was peppering him and hitting him as well, which can make a fighter hesitant to commit. Joe's issue was his woeful defence and the lack of real sting on the shots he did throw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Looked like he hadn’t even sparred any sort of southpaw in the lead up to the fight by the way he was eating left hands. His feet were all wrong. He seriously underestimated Zhang I reckon and didn’t make any adjustments in camp to suit what was coming.

That;s the point I’m making. If Joyce hadn’t been just so terrible defensively in Round 1 and partly 2 then his work going forward wasnt too bad. HE got hurt and rocked in both those rounds and then couldn’t see shots coming. He threw nothing in Round 1 but when he began going around the guard he was having some success which shows how painfully slow and unbusy Zhang is.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭reclose

I’m gonna go against the grain and say Zhang wins again.

Joyce can only go so far with his style of taking shots to the head and I think Zhang has proved he’s that level too far.

hopefully whoever wins gets a shot at the big 4.

Probably only slightly against the grain. Gun to my head I’d go with Zhang as well

Right I;m gonna go against the grain then and I’ll say Joyce will keep it long and win very late or on points. If the fight is in China then that’s huge. I think if Joyce keeps away from Zhang he should be ok. I think he has more to improve on.

Really, if you are Joe's trainer you have to be thinking: "Joe, he is faster than you, longer than you, sharper than you, hits harder than you, has a better defence and better feet."

The best strategy is for Joe to start fast and to not allow Zhang space and time to work. Joe has to be up close and busy and roughing Zhang up and working him over. Joe has to use his strength, which is good stamina and workrate. He can't outbox or outslick, so staying on the outside is too risky for Joe. Easier said than done, but he can surely out on a better show than two weeks ago.

Jabbing at range while moving around Zhang in circles to take the sting out of that left hand and guard up against the right jab could work, easy to say that while watching from my sofa lol

Big problem is Joe's feet of cement. He just doesn't have the range and mechanics and freedom on his feet.

Is he? I think Zhang is pretty slow in fact. He was accurate last time and good at keeping the hands up so that anything getting through was just a cuff rather than power. I think Joyce can put him under pressure, keep on the move and not allow him to set his feet so much. Keep his own hands up and Zhang wont match that. He knows Zhang will tire too so I think just making sure the fight gets to the latter stages will be enough, he may not be ahead on score cards but Zhang doesn’t throw enough and if he’s not landing big power shots then that should be that taken care of too. I think if Joyce doesn’t present his own face there for free hits he has little else to do.

• Advertisement

He’s a forward walking plodder with power that clearly can’t move his head, surely he can learn to move his feet

maybe the injuries that made him quit athletics turned out to be concrete feet

Advertisement