Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fox News fires Tucker Carlson

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The idea that the Ukrainians or hypothetically in the future the Taiwanese would only fight foreign aggression at the behest of the US is mind-numbingly stupid.

Anyway, Tucker "understands" nothing about geopolitics, nor does he care to even try. Its not remotely relevant to his (previously) daily screed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I recall Carlson pouring cold water on the notion that Dominion machines were flipping votes.

The man fishes in Central Park on his own, that makes him semi legendary in my book

• Registered Users Posts: 34,831 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

What do you mean by the phrase 'A good country?'

There are a million and one different metrics you could use to gauge what a 'good' country is based on your own personal opinion and political leanings. All of them requiring different ways of handling overseas wars, immigration, sending money abroad etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Are we really going to pretend that there isn't objective metrics? Low crime, high social trust, good infrastructure, are all things rational people would consider the basis for a good nation.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I do indeed though for Fox News, this would be an aspiration as opposed to an undesirable outcome.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,831 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The metrics vary wildly based on your own leanings. Are we going to pretend that's not the case? 'good' is a highly subjective word.

The metrics you just pointed out are objective yes, but they're also the most benign metrics you could have used.

How about immigration. Would you view a country with high immigration as a 'good' country?

How about religion? morality? Power? All of these things can influence a countries views on foreign policy, the need to go to/ not go to war, all could make a country a 'good' country or not based on someone's political viewpoints.

A lot of of folks view Ireland's neutrality as something that makes this a 'good' country for example. Other's think it would make us a 'bad' country and we need to have more of an input in international affairs, perhaps even joining NATO.

I suppose what I am trying to say is your post was completely without nuance and full of assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

Deffo gonna turn up on RT or GB news... there'll be some intertwining with him and Galloway or Farage somewhere along the way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I'm not saying there isn't subjective metrics, of course there is, but every nation should aim for the objective ones that I've mentioned. And if you don't have those objective metrics, you should probably be totally focused on achieving them, and not focused on a war in another nation far away from you. Your average American likely cares far more about the quality of their own lives than the quality of the lives of Ukrainians, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. If American was in a healthy place, then focusing on other nations would be more just, but it's not healthy, so it's not just in my view, which is likely the thinking of Tucker and his fans too. America First is a thing for a reason, and it's not going anywhere, and things like the war in Ukraine only fuel the need for putting their own first.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I wouldn't have thought so. Could either even touch his salary expectation? RT maybe but I could not see that happening. His base is the US. I am sure there will be opportunities there for him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

That leaves OAN or Newsmax which lack the clout of Fox. I'd say he's looking at a cut in income.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,362 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

So basically the message is to any country, invade a sovereign state, rape and kill enough people, then they should accept this, negotiate an end which sees the invaded country lose their territory while the invader gets off free and gets to keep the territory.

Have I got all that correct???

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,137 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

mcsean2163 threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

He is being paid 20 mil by fox until the end of his contract term.... he can work for whoever he likes and still be on the same money

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There is no great reasoning behind his position other than being a professional contrarian. He most certainly does not give a crap about most of the problems facing Americans either.

And if the average American didn't care about American hegemony they would have an issue with the close to a trillion dollar defence budget.

I'm not interested rehashing the various Russian arguments, but Tucker Carlson does not take positions in good faith and attempting to explain away his rantings with logic is being far too kind to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Isn't infowars bankrupt? The problem is no one can pay his Fox news level salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I’m guessing there is loads more to come out around his firing.

He was given the insurrection footage and released only a few minutes of it and then the story completely disappeared.

Murdock must have been terrified about being sued further.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

It's up there with the idea that NATO moved in to the Baltics. As if Baltic nations have no agency of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭bewareofthedog

Should have stuck to the older show format like below, when the guests ran out he started to indulge in the dogwhistle stuff more and more to the point I'm certain most of the things he was saying he didn't believe himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,443 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

RT has promised to pay him in grain but he'll need to provide his own bags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,691 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Learn your history

Particularly the bit about where the funding and much of the arms for the War of Independence came from.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

When Ireland relied on its own resources it was the poorest country in Western Europe.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Which, when you think about it, makes him even more of a cunt for saying those things than if he actually believed in them.

Standard begrudgery. How dare anyone be interested in anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

I think the lesson would be more like, don't foolishly allow you country to be used as a pawn in a proxy war between two historical enemies who would love to destroy each other... but are just destroying your country instead.

Ukraine naively thought they would be protected by the big powerful west, and so had no real need or desire to co-operate with their bigger neighbour next door. Which has been proven to be a very costly mistake.

Hopefully Taiwan are taking notes, and will be able to choose a more intelligent path forward. (that is of course IF they are permitted to do so by their "friends" in the west)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Russia invaded ukraine....

Like Wakey wakey, I know some have these alternative realities they live in , but this wasn't a proxy war no more than 9/11 conspiracy theories,

Taiwan wants to be Taiwan a sovereign democracy like most countries they aren't china ,and China knows Taiwan will fight backed up with the US , not a whole lot of people coming to support china

The US and Russia aren't really enemies. I'd argue that enemies have to be reasonably matched. Russia is a corrupt, pitiful wreck of a country that barely has an economy. It's a sh*tehole by any metric.

The west rightly armed and trained Ukraine and now we see the brave Ukrainians deftly and courageously defending their home from this century's Nazis. Your attempt to spread propaganda here isn't going to convince anyone, I'm afraid.

What's hilarious about all of this is that a few decades ago, there as a movie subgenre portraying the Russians as this elite, enemy bent on the West's destruction but it turns out that they're just a group of malevolent peasants and mercenaries. For the price of a few bits and pieces of equipment, the West and Ukraine have destroyed Russia as power. It's truly glorious to see. The sooner Putin decorates his bunker with the contents of his head, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Fox's own lawyers stood up in Federal court and testified under oath that the whole point of Carlson was that he doesn't tell the truth, that he exaggerates and engages in "non-literal commentary" for entertainment purposes.

https://www.businessinsider.com/fox-news-karen-mcdougal-case-tucker-carlson-2020-9?r=US&IR=T

Your gullibility is your own business, but you should really be asking questions about your beliefs if they happen to align with someone who admits that they're just making things up to exploit the ignorance of a particular demographic for profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭buried

Learn your own History.

The only success from the War of Independance was the martyrdom of the Irishmen killed.

Irishmen. Not Germans, Chinese, Yanks or whatever else you're having this week.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭buried

And when we last relied on foreigners telling us how to use our own resources, there was genocide.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Advertisement