Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

He was quite central so don't see that being a big issue - most sequels bring in other characters to share screentime and this is no different. Kang probably gets more prominence but a usual complaint about MCU is that the villains dont get enough time.

Bigger problem was that he couldn't really be Antman as he didn't have real world items to work off as a baseline and comedy. It wasn't really an Antman movie, more a Quantum Realm movie that they could have dropped any hero into. If you didn't like that you aren't going to like the movie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,018 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah that was a huge problem with the film. By using it to set up what will be Kang and his story, they put Ant-Man in a place where his abilities don't really matter and can't be used imaginatively like the previous films, they put Scott Lang in a place where you can't really utilise his character, and it lost all the ancillary stuff which made the previous films fun (the supporting cast, using his abilities in the real world).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

That is a very strange criticism- I dont want to ruin it for anyone but he has two or three of the main heroic actions in the movie. The main villain is mostly fighting him directly. Sure he is assisted a few times but he must occupy the screen more than any other character in the movie.

The movie is very bad though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,065 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Alessandro Nivola is reportedly playing Rhino in Kraven

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I saw a headline that Gunn said Guardians 3 has the MCU’s first use of the word “****”.

I thought that would mean to the film would be certified 15 here and in the U.K. (I know “****” alone at least used to be enough to make a movie 15s) but the film is only 12A.

Has the rule changed?

Just curious about that.

Have to laugh at the comment I read that it means Marvel is taking the steps towards aiming the movies at a mature audience”? Speaking as someone who swears a LOT, it is clear some people don’t know the meaning of “mature”. It was used in movies because that is just how people talk but lately people seem to think “oh, if they **** this must be cool and grown up”.

Profanity used to mean something but now it is just a sign of lack of imagination - and I include myself in that.

Also, how long is it likely to be before we know the outcome of Jonathan Majors’ legal trouble? Whenever an actor gets in trouble I find it suspicious when other people “come forward” with more claims but at the same I am very aware that I have never been a victim of anything so it is confusing.

Is Deadpool not in the MCU? That is full of curse words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

It is not. The new one might bring it in via some multiverse shinanigans but the first two were the Fox/X-Men-verse.

Deadpool 3 is supposed to be yes so GOG 3 will be the first with curse words.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The chatter popped up because the F Bomb appeared in a clip released last week. The clip is below. My running theory is that the bleep is diegetic and part of the overall world; it looks weirdly "wholesome", really suburban so might be a gag like The Good Place where swearing is forcibly prevented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,198 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It brings into debate whether The Defenders Saga (The Netflix series') is considered MCU canon, otherwise Jessica Jones has had that honour for years.

They mention the avengers in Jessica Jones in a season 1 episode

There is profanity in all the previous MCU films and series (if not all then most). It is just “****” that is new.

It has reminded that few years ago I used to get annoyed that in AGE OF ULRON Rodgers tries to chastise Stark for “bad language” when he had already cursed in AVENGERS ASSEMBLE. No continuity skill that young fella of the Whedons.

I don’t think they do actual mention it. It is referenced but in a way that doesn’t geive any details. All the shows avoided any direct talk of other heroes and events.

And the early seasons of AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. where affected by big events in the films and had many many mentions of other heroes but the show is not MCU canon.

I remember there is a flashback to before the abduction, where Trish is trying to encourage Jessica to get a secret identity and fight crime.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Those shows jumped through hoops to avoid direct references to the MCU, especially as they went along. A few mentions in season 1s were as good as it got. Daredevil liked to occasionally refer to "The Incident", aka that time an Alien Army invaded New York, brushed aside like it was as mundane as a train strike. It was never directly explained, the words "aliens" never mentioned IIRC.

It's kinda the problem with the MCU, albeit if you try to write "street level". Everyone, by and large, is quite blasé about these various transformative and existentially upending crises; we've got hints, here and there and mostly in the first quarter of Endgame... but it has definitely been a side of this universe left unexplored.

There's profanity but when it comes to Film Ratings, it's curing the MPAA deems acceptable for a PG rating. IIRC you can have one "fúck" in a PG13 film, not sure of particulars beyond that. Why the MCU never went for that I guess came down to keeping things as acceptable as possible.

No that was talked about long ago and for a long time.

Those shows are part of the MCU - Cox and D’Onforino have said they are big playing the characters differently and Daredevil is a lot more light hearted and funny now.

So the Netflix show, S.H.I.E.L.D. and the other live action stuff can be considered from the Multiverse.

Yes, many hoops. And someone were on fire.

Has there been any chatter of the rest of the Defenders actors and their allies being brought into the MCU?

Is it true they are using the same actor as Frank Castle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,968 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I can't see them letting Vince decapitate someone with a car door in the new iteration somehow. 😅

No. You’ll have to look elsewhere on Disney+ for that. Like maybe Daredevil… :P

At the end of ENDGAME did Quill say anything about visiting his grandfather or relatives or did one of the Guardians ask if he was going to?

• Advertisement

I meant to bring this up yesterday but it seemed so strange that I thought it must be wrong.

Jonathon Majors’ publicist also dumped him. Is one of the duties of publicist to there for a client for the bad things, not just the good?

Also I think the distributors of CREED III have altered the artwork on iTunes to remove Majors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,018 ✭✭✭✭Penn

No, and I think I remember Gunn in an interview saying that Quill wouldn't have and that he got off Earth as quickly as he could, and he wouldn't have visited old family because he was too far removed from it all and it would have reminded him too much of his mother's death.

They mention he big green guy and the flag-waver and have a kid dressed as captain america. As you say they mention people dying in an event in NYC but not what it is.

Even SHIELD had problems and it was far closer to the main MCU: it had a few overlaps but very much on the periphery such as Lady Sif appearing. As the show went on though it really diverged while also not, to the extent Infinity War was namechecked with a single line of throwaway dialogue. The Big Bad of that season saying something like "Thanos is attacking earth" then immediately changing the subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,189 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Agents of SHIELD was canon as long as it was convenient. Tying in the HYDRA story from Winter Soldier then later the SHIELD helicarrier from, I think, Age of Ultron. Then had appearances from the likes of Fury and others. But when they completely gave up on it was when they brought in Inhumans.

I was sure there were a number of references in Daredevil. Like didn't the newspaper have a load of articles about it written by Ben?

And think either AoS or the Netflix shows used technology from the attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,198 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Well they let John Walker decapitate a Flag Smasher with Captain America's shield.

For the first two seasons, the show runners had Jos Whedon at the top table feeding them information on plans up to Age of Ultron, after he left that all dried up and they were left to go their own way.

And any time it is referenced it is awkward - the whole world knows aliens attacked a they know the names of the Avengers but no one says aliens or the names and everyone got over an alien attack just a few blocks away.

As said earlier they went through hoops to avoid common sense references.

Anyway these shows can still be watched but are not part of the MCU Prime. Maybe a similar less violent and bleak version of the Netflix Daredevil series happened.

I hope not though because I really would like Father Paul back and Joanne Whalley back as Maggie.

I don’t remember any mention of Thanos or the Snap in the series.

I thought they avoided having it affect the show by putting the team into the future and then time travelling in the final season.

that is true and I keep forgetting about it enough though it absolutely shocking.

however didn’t the car door scene in Daredevil actually show the head being crushed?

was it a decapitation? I thought he repeatedly beating the head?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

You dont see the head getting crushed, they carefully place the camera never showing the head getting smushed, the only gore is audio and then some blood splatter on Wesley's face..

Advertisement