Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronation Street [News, Spoilers and Discussion] contd

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

He's done it a few times in this storyline, always when he's supposed to be upset about what someone's said to him, so yeah, I think it is just some questionable face acting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭apache

It's more of a grimace. It's just the face he makes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,307 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Hope is evil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,608 ✭✭✭prunudo

I had hoped we had moved on from her being a little trouble maker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

aadi "What happened!" - Summer: "I dont know I just found Amy here on the floor" ....... "I think she tripped up on this empty bottle of voddy some inconsiderant left on the floor!" - Oxford was it she was going too was it??? - sure it werent Oxfam? 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

can someone answer me this (coz I only dip in and out of Corrie )….did the tall guy (Adam I think) actually rape Amy or is she telling porkies about it??

ooh blimey - you are opening up a can of worms asking that question!

Oh really😳😳😳are they making into a guessing game??

When I saw it a few weeks ago,it was made out that Amy made a false allegation of rape against him,but that’s in doubt now??

she said that (/lied) because she did not like all the upset it was causing everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,753 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Ok the Tall guy is called Aaron I think.

Amy, Aaron, Summer and others were on a night out.

Aaron and Amy went back to the apartment and continued to drink and messy around.

They eventually shared a kiss and make out, Amy went to bed.

She passed out in bed.

Aaron then got undressed and got into bed with Amy and had sex with Amy who was asleep/passed out.

In my opinion this rape.

However not everybody agrees with me.

The marker thing that Aadi did tonight was great. It showed how somebody could consent earlier in the night but not later especially when they were passed out.

Amy then went to the Police who said there wasn't enough evidence.

Then there was loads of hassle and drama and Amy said it didn't happened because she felt it would make her life easier.

God you would think Amy would be put off drink forever (or for a while anyway) after what happened last time she got blind drunk

Did i hear in tonight's episode her (or him) say that she took her top off when aaron got into bed with her or was I hearing things??? -- or was it him who took her top off and if he did was she awake or passed out at that stage?

They're not making it a guessing game. The point of the story is that Aaron genuinely doesn't think he's done anything wrong. Amy kissed him and was showing signs of being interested, which he took as implied consent. She was passed out when he had sex with her, so there's no question about it. He's raped her.

Amy went to the police but withdrew the complaint shortly after because the police let him go without charging him, and then Tracey was basically causing several scenes about it, which was upsetting Amy, so she said she wasn't raped to get everyone to leave her alone.

The result on screen is that most of the characters involved don't really know what happened and as they slowly see and hear more, they're realising Aaron did rape her. And, I assume, he's slowly realising it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

Bit too much of a coincidence that Ope, Sam & the new kid are all in the same class in Weatherfield high…

poor Paul, he is playing a blinder tho

the Amy storyline is hard to watch, unreal that he would turn up at her hospital room like that!

It's fairly common that a victim of sexual assault or rape might abuse alcohol or other substances.

true i never thought of it that way - they might do it to block out whatever went on (or is going on)

corrie is not the gritty Northern soap that it used to be (I suppose these days they have had to tone down the violence and especially before the watershed) but in the old days of Corrie Steve would have had Aaron up against the wall and possibly would have battered him - too many times these days on the saops people hold the ones back or talk them down. like in real life Steve would have been livid and punched the head off Aaron ... not be talked out of it by Tracey.

had to laugh at the what would be the classic Steve line "I have put 2 quid on the parking!" - and then the "shall we go and have a cup of tea anyway , I still have 2 quid on the parking" 😁

It's true that that's how things used to be done but honestly the idea of men being violent towards other men, all in the name of protecting or avenging a woman/girl, especially where rape or sexual assault is concerned, is a fairly outdated trope. It's believable that a man would want to react in that way, but the problem with soaps and TV dramas, is they quite often end up putting the focus on the man's feelings, when it should be on the victim.

Varying quality of acting aside, I've been quite impressed with how Corrie have handled this storyline so far.

what do we all think will be the eventuality then? - will Aaron leave the street then we reckon? - if so will he leave the street after admitting to Amy that he raped her? ... or will he still not admit , but leave anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭phormium

You need to go back and watch the episode, in fact I probably do myself! My remembering is they were messing around and went into the bedroom, lay on bed, she turned her back to him and promptly fell asleep/passed out. Now again this is where I must watch it again, did he just continue immediately from that moment when he is not facing her? Obviously we didn't see that bit so I don't know, did he know she was not still conscious or not, she definitely wasn't playing an active role at that stage but you had two very drunk people! It's a difficult one!

• Advertisement

I don't know know what they'll do with him tbh. There's no mention of him exiting the show but it would be strange for him to be hanging around.

I do think thr character to starting to relies what he did now tough.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Aaron's dad was coming back into it, so maybe he'll end up leaving with him?

It'd be interesting to see how they'd keep him around once he realises what he's done, but I don't know if Corrie is the kind of show that could deal with that kind of thing sensitively. I doubt most of their viewers would be up for seeing him have any kind of future storylines either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,068 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

His gran (dads mother) dies I think so his father was coming back. I imagine he'll just leave again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The Aaron actor is a bit limited which is a pity, but I agree they have handled it well. Even when viewers saw Amy passed out (having pushed his hand away earlier) still some people excused it in some way and were not clear it was rape. Sadly that is what happens in the real world too.

I still think they could redeem the character of Aaron with a genuine heartfelt admission of guilt and a sincere apology to Amy before he leaves. It would also go some way to helping Amy heal, since she is unlikely to get any court agreeing she was raped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

Did Amy not tell him to stop as she wasn’t feeling well. Either way, she had passed out so obviously didn’t give consent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭phormium

That's what I'm saying, we'd all need to go back and watch it to see exactly what happened!

Ah okay….I was t sure coz I saw one of the episodes very soon after the incident (didn’t see the episode itself) and the vibe was that she might be making it up….then only caught it last night and the impression was that he did indeed rape her….hadn’t seen anything In between so hence the confusion on my part….so thanks for clarifying 👍🙌

No worries. If you didn't see the episode where it happened then it probably has been playing out like a who is lying storyline, and as I said, that's kind of where most of the other characters have been coming at it from too. But as far as what actually happened there's no ambiguity about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭DT2016

Poor Paul I love his friendship with DeDe

• Advertisement

Dee Dee is such a lovely character in the show (i am going to hazard a guess that she is a nice Actor/person as well IRL). so glad she is a sensible one out of the family on there and not like that goofy Michael!

Am glad the person who parked badly did not come back to their car whilst Paul was there - I think he would have lumped them with hi god working hand - boy he was angry!! - stress I suppose

Advertisement