Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Snooker Championship 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,719 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Up to the ref to pull him up on it if it seems excessive. Also up to the opponent to draw ref's attention to it if the opponent feels it is excessive. Otherwise, no real rules against it unless ref makes the decision.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭hayrabit

seems Mutton Chops dude has vacated seat beside Wrighty - some young(er) chap sitting beside him now,, both them seem happy out shootin the breeze :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

That red from Selby along the black cushion was like an American pool pocket. Even selby seemed confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Shelby one away from the one table set up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Hopefully with the move overnight, the one table won't be getting that top rail and those black bags from table 2.

Selby was embarrased by that red dropping, like Higgins was with that black on Sunday night.

I see it as doing what it takes to win. I looked at the snooker rules. Seems very vague.

https://wpbsa.com/wp-content/uploads/Rulebook-Website-Updated-May-2022-2.pdf

s4.3 under Conduct -

3. Time Wasting

'(a) In the event of a player taking an abnormal amount of time over a stroke, or the selection of a stroke, the referee shall Warn the player that in the event of any further Time Wasting during the game, the frame will be awarded to their opponent. 

(b) If the referee has Warned the player for Time Wasting under (a) above, in the event of any further Time Wasting by that player, the referee shall award the frame to their opponent. (c) If a referee has awarded a frame to a player’s opponent for Time Wasting, in the event of any further Time Wasting by the player concerned, the referee shall, each time thereafter, award a frame to the player’s opponent.'

--

What counts as abnormal slower than slower speed? Slower than difficulty of the shot? Slower than the tension and pivotal moment of the amount of time that a player takes to make a decision?

--

The ironic thing is in the balls Selby's time per shot is far from slow overall, at the end of each season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Posted a message and made two points that got ridiculed that I forgot to reply to. Davis would of beaten O'Sullivan every day at his peak, and Alex Higgins was more naturally talented.

Even since O'Sullivan has got it together mentally, he can always be rattled, by a player who can clear up and drag the game down under pressure. Davis was a robot under pressure, would grind O'Sullivan, slow the game and pick him off. Davis beats O'Sullivan every day, and twice on Sunday, in a World Championship game.

The other point I made was Higgins was the more natural talent, despite many factors holding him back. Someone replied posting the centuries Higgins made, missing the point that with the right coaching and professionalism, Higgins was better. He had the most natural eye for a pot, the mark of raw talent. Pulled off shots no other player was capable off, regularly, not even O'Sullivan. I'd wager, most of the top players would agree.

Obviously he wasn't the best ever, but certainly the greatest raw talent the game has seen. Seen an interview with White today, laughed about his break in 82, White confident he'd miss as knew he was "steamed". Pulled off the greatest break ever, that was the measure of the man, hammered and knocking everything in, working off raw instinct!

Drunk, impatient, terrible posture, did everything technically wrong, constantly losing the cueball as was steamed, yet every frame he saved, required at least 4 impossible shots. The guy had no peers when faced with shots, where all odds against him.

My point was, bring him up to today's professionalism and standards, get him off the drink, show him the right posture and technique from a young age, and make him stop rushing and read the game better, and you'd have a potting machine on your hands, the likes the game has never seen. No one had the natural eye this guy had, no one, not even O'Sullivan

I am no genius to spot that. I have seen Allen and Wilson play enough at this stage, and listened to them.

Normally the key thing about snooker players is their body language (at the high level), and the way they talk off the table.

• Advertisement

That was myself that posted the Alex Higgins v Terry Griffiths centuries

Come on right coaching and talent? If my granny had balls she would be me uncle. All if's but's and maybe's with Alex Higgins.

I would go as far to say that Alex Higgins is the most overhyped and overrated player in the history of snooker.

The main argument for Alex Higgins seems to be that snooker was stuffy before he turned up. That seems to be the beginning and end of his plus points. He was a circus act with a snooker cue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Higgins playing the wrong shot to attempt a 147?!? It was the second red! Higgins can’t resist the temptation of a few extra quid as we know. Joke of a shot, totally unprofessional. Grinning away after he missed it. Gobsh*te.

I backed MA at 11 to 1 after Trump lost but I think the Jester looks unstoppable now.

On that last safety exchange. He walked around they table chalking his cue on every single shot. Every single shot it was obvious what to play and he played the obvious shot.

I’m shite at snooker and I know what he should play. He’s brilliant at snooker so he knows exactly what he’s going to do . He takes too much time to wind his opponents up.

Over the course of a best of 25 frames that costs HOURS. I want him pulled up about it, but it. It’s happened before and he fell to pieces.

they/them/theirs

I was thinking there, you know the way people almost assume it is a question of when not if for O'Sullivan's 8th title?

If Selby wins this year, he will be on five and suddenly looking like he could get the 8th himself! That would really annoy Ronnie fans if he did that!

Man, you talk like someone who’s a fan of people who win at snooker instead of a snooker fan.

I love John and Alex Higgins for different reasons. But to describe him this way is ridiculous. He was a fantastic player, before anyone really knew how snooker should be played. Davis was amazing for different reasons, but peak Ronnie would eat him alive.

Ask Davis.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

In that 2020 semi final that Ronnie pulled the win out of nowhere, If that had of gone the other way, as it easily could have.

Selby would be looking to join Ronnie on 6 this weekend.

The margins are fine at that top, top level.

Absolutely razor thin. But Ronnie did everything right in that semi. He knew exactly how to get at Selby. I’m not Ronnie fanboy, but it was great.

they/them/theirs

They were discussing that young fella Si in the BBC studio earlier today. Hazel said he had not being back to China for three years until recently.

I was thinking that really says something about his dedication, most would have given up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Si has had multiple opportunities in this frame, only himself to blame if he loses it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

I think pretty much all the pros agree that o Sullivan is the best ever to pick up a cue.

Peak Joe or Fred Davis might have a claim. But not Steve 😂

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

O’Sullivan defo tops Higgins….Higgins may have been the most talented player ever to pick up a Q but he was the biggest w@anker to ever pick one up also……the only one to come close to him in the w@nker stakes would be the toolbox from oz quinten ham/hann

Why would you have Higgins as more talented than O'Sullivan out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,212 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

It is intriguing to watch Si and McGill, bits of good and more bad. It's entertaining, and it does remind me of McGill v Wilson in 2020(one of if not the worst WC ever). It was like car crash TV, especially that drawn out frame with all those misses, effectively decided by a fluke.

Nerves are at play here, more so for Si you would think. 11-11, let's see what unfolds.

Yeah and he's about 7/8 years younger. He was also unlucky against Ronnie in the semi 3 years ago, but the Rocket deserves great credit for the comeback at 16 14 down and went on to win his 6th.

Hard to know if it's nerves or tiredness getting to Si at times here

• Registered Users Posts: 17,212 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

McGill maybe lucky not to damage or snap his cue after that angry reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭hayrabit

very tight this - love to see it

Fine I reckon Anthony will #surely get for that whacking his stick on table - that outburst could've hurt his cue an' all 🙂

# ~62% chance imo :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Si starting to look the stronger now, he hung in and hung in and now it's paying off, McGill looking frustrated now, first time I ever seen him react to anything.

Advertisement