Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AI to Catch Drivers.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

You think AI is gonna stop all those things and the rest from happening ever again?

I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Try rewarding people for good behaviour and see where it takes us.

• Advertisement

It will be used by the people who run it to either control or take money from those who don’t run it. Or both.

The idea that it will be some how used for good and nothing else is delusional. And reading through this thread and from real life conversations I think most don’t understand just how advanced and capable this technology is.

A hundred percent

People only think now, short term.

Very little thought given to unintended consequences or where a policy will take us in 50 - 100 year's

Our belief in technology is embedded in us since we got sticks and stone's 100k year's ago.

And the way the state has been acting for the past few year's and policy's they've supported & made should give anybody with a bit of common sense a shiver down their back if asked to give up more privileges & privacy without reward.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It's funny how every safety organisation, researcher, police force in the world identifies excessive speed as one of the major causes of road deaths, but you reckon people driving too slow are the big problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭irelandrover

So you give a tax credit for not breaking the law while driving. I don't have a car, do I get this tax break as well?

You're ignoring the huge benefits to public health that arise when more people cycle, including a near-halving in cancer rates, as well as significant improvements in obesity, diabetes, hypertension, coronary heart disease, stroke and many more. UK doctors are prescribing cycling for patients.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭RidleyJones

So bicycles don't work in rural Ireland? Funny because I cycle all around my area, along with loads of other people and they seem to work perfectly fine. Sorry for been flippant but plenty of people get around at the moment in rural Ireland without a car

Ireland has an extensive public transport system in rural Ireland provided by buses.

If you are incapable of driving at the moment without breaking the law then you should be taken off the road.

Even for your own safety and the safety of people travelling in your vehicle you should stop driving and leave the roads to the proper drivers

I know AI very very well, maybe you could explain the concerns you have in the technology?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭irelandrover

But why not? I didn't break the law, the same as all the good drivers that you want to give credits to.

No thanks I'd rather drive my 50km route to work. Where abouts in rural Ireland are you because none of that is avaliable where I am.

And you're being very nieve & lying to yourself if you think you haven't broken a road law or rule in your life at some point in time.

I already have. But anyway, anyone who says they “know AI very very well”, does not. And anyone who really does work with AI projects have concerns.

Network map is here: https://www.sligo.ie/wp-content/uploads/bus-network-map.pdf

Which doesn't even cover the local bus companies who supply services.

I very much doubt you have no bus.

As I said if you are incapable of driving without breaking the law, as a responsible adult you should remove yourself off the road straight away. If now, don't worry because AI will be coming soon and that will do it for you

Go buy a tiny banger, park it up, keep walking/cycling/bussing it and just claim the tax relief and One4All vouchers for not breaking the law in it.

I believe there a Christmas hamper if you manage to not break the law during the month of December.

The other quarterly bonus are not so great, a T-shirt that says "Kiss me, I'm Irish" in March, a 99 cone in June and a Barnbrack in Sept for the run-up to Halloween. I don't believe it comes with a ring though, Revenue and the Dept of Finance were quite firm on that point despite the protests of the Minister as it would drain the national reserves of brass in no time

Is this the concerns you have: Not there yet, but I’d worry about it. They have already developed these systems and there’s people who would like to use them and feel justified. Extinction rebellion would happily role it out. If the pandemic had happened ten years later it would have been used. In Canada they were already freezing protestors bank accounts. We’re a lot closer to authoritarian control than you might like to believe and we’re getting closer not further every year

If this is it?

I couldn't care less if you think I do or don't know about AI. But if this is the concerns you have then I am a scientific genius on AI 😂

• Advertisement

There’s definitely a smack of the curtain twitcher from those who support this. The kind who would call the police if you visited your family during covid. The likes that helped the Nazis round up people.

I'd have serious concerns about AI being used for facial recognition or anything similar. I'd have little concern about AI being used to pick up a driver using their phone or breaking a red light, and sending the fine to the registered keeper of the vehicle, as at present. I'm not sure that AI would be really necessary for either of those scenarios.

If we want to stop drivers using their phones, put one Garda out for one day a week from each station on their mountain bike, with bodycam or helmetcam. They could catch hundreds of drivers each day, and word will get out quickly that this very dangerous practice needs to change.

There isn't anything that can bring me to work on time and home on time consistently if there was I would us it.

Well then by that logic they're probably wouldn't be a single person allowed drive in this country because I see it everyday a rule or law bring broken where I'm from.

From Bus driver's, truck driver's, taxi driver's etc

All well qualified people.

If we have AI that can do the job why do you need to send out a Garda on a bike?

The chances of catching people are massively increased if they don't know the position of the camera of can't see the Garda up ahead.

It's what it'll be used for next is the concern & Unintended consequences.

I'd rather deal with a human Garda

And AI will only do one job, it won't be there to help people in a crash or whatever the reason/ situation a Garda can.

Somebody said earlier on the thread there was a 100 million budget for AI

How many Garda can that budget train or pay or hire and pay them well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I speed on motorways. Generally only a bit and I don't do it outside them but I absolutely do it. If I knew I would probably be caught I wouldn't...

So I'm not clean in this, but the entire point is that when people know they won't be caught they'll stop caring unless there is a general societal push against it. This has worked well for drink driving - massively less so for speeding, pavement parking, bus lane use etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

What's the reward for good driving? Being allowed to continue driving. That's it. If that's not enough, then you don't deserve to be on the road because you're doing it for other reasons. The level of driving in this country is shocking. I saw it in my 10 years as a Garda, and I see it every single time I drive, or even just look out the window and see the people flying by.

But that was bound to happen in a country that as a single test and then you're good for life. A country that has very clear and good road traffic laws, but are not enforced enough. A country where the lots of drivers think that only they are the best. A country where most drivers are oblivious to their faults. The main examples being holding a phone while driving, breaking lights and incorrectly and dangerously exiting roundabouts. And it's that last bit that's important.

These people don't see their faults, because usually they don't know what they're doing is wrong, be it due to being one of those who was just given a license way back when, or scraped past the driving test pre/post Theory Test and never have to sit it again. Madness. Driving test should be sat every 10 years or on renewal of license. It's obvious people are either oblivious to the laws they're breaking, or worse are deliberate in their not caring of driving that way.

And it is getting worse. Add on the fact that people who were barely able to control normal cars are now all buying crossover wanchor wagons in their droves. So now they can barely drive something twice as big. And expect everyone else to give way to them, even though it's their oversized unnecessary lump of useless that's the issue.

Bring on AI. Tbh, I don't care about the seatbelts, only dopes or people with genuine medical reasons don't wear them (and the latter are not the bad drivers, usually). But catching people holding a phone (not "on" or "using" a phone, another law people don't actually know), speeding, incorrect use of lanes, hopefully they extend it to exiting roundabouts correctly. Bring it on. Will spare up Gardai to do other duties (also, there's no such thing as a Traffic Corp anymore, it's a Roads Policing Unit). Civillian staff going over hundreds of pictures is cheaper than a few Gardai standing at the side of the road. They would filter the unclear (only 100% positive would go further, imo) and then a Garda would initiate the fine. That's what I reckon, but could be wrong. We don't know yet, but like using the civillian staff for answering 999, it will free up Gardai.

Not getting into the debate over which laws they should enforce. It's everyones responsibility to ensure they adhere to the laws. But that doesn't happen. AI/automation will quickly put a stop to most of it (from a road traffic standpoint). Only an actual dope would continue to break the laws after getting caught once or twice. When you see the effect points can have on insurance, well, it stopped me speeding. I don't accept the arguement that people will be out of jobs/homeless. If it gets that far, it's 100% on them and them alone. Drive legally. It's not hard. Just need to concentrate on the, you know, actual driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I have yet to stab anyone yet and I've been using cutlery everyday for years.

Wheres my good boy bonus for not breaking the law?

Because we can send the guard on the bike out tomorrow.

It will probably be years before they can get the new AI service running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

And now we've reached the point of calling people Nazi's for obeying the law.

Although a lot of the "anti everything" people during covid did seem to have plenty of prior convictions when they were getting arrested at their protests.

AI will certainly not appeal to those already with multiple convictions who think the Gardai are scandalously out to stop them breaking the law.

Advertisement