Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Snooker Championship 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Didn't like the spectator laughing at McGill's misfortune there. Having touching ball on the green. Show some class would you? The guy's trying his heart out and potentially on the way out after a gruelling contest and final frame decide, and some muppet thinks it's alright to laugh at it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it 100 times. Don’t watch bbc. Subscribing to the Eurosport online is worth every penny.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If it wasn't for bad luck McGill would have no luck at all...

Well done Si. Hope he can play to his potential in the semi-final.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I am watching Eurosport on a slightly illegal stream. BBC Four does not even come through my satellite now. And really annoyingly I found a channel ETV that says 'Welcome to the red button' after 2 minutes then have to change channel back and forth.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Rob Walker with an insulting question there to Anthony. Tough to be interviewed a couple of minutes after you've lost. Got to play it back to get the quote right. Well done to McGill as well.

"Is he one of the best youngsters you've ever faced in terms of coping with the pressure of being out there?"

Should have left it at that, but no. Butts back in to add, "Because you're normally pretty good under this spotlight."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭hayrabit

Anthony's trouble started when he missed that red early on in to black corner pocket

maybe he couldn't hit enough of it to pot it - small margins; deserved to lose the frame on that shot alone

WD Si

can't believe he aint been home in three years - mentioned his "girlfriend at home" earlier on - I'd say she's getting rid of her current bloke, if she has one 🤗

I will be glued to the Brecel v Si match. I would say Brecel is delighted that he got Si and not McGill.

On Eurosport McGill said he didn't deserve to win, and is not upset as it was the worst game he ever played!

Tomorrow is today Al !!

• Advertisement

not a bad tune - think i'll stick it on presently 😂

John Higgins said he stayed in bed too long earlier on, but does not use it as excuse - said Selby gave him a tactical lesson. But Higgins was not happy only getting to the Quarter Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Si is so rough and ready - banging in long pots for sport then silly misses on simple shots. So unpredictable, but great to watch. Himself and brecel should bring a bit of chaos to their match.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,602 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Should be a nice open fast paced match between Si and Brecel and will be a stark contrast with Selby's slow pace in the other match, I really hope Mark Allen beats him

I think Si will beat Luca

Luca goes for everything, and will likely have a purple patch and knock in four in a row at some stage. But Belgian might just throw his cue at everything if things aint going his way

far as the earlier argument convo re most talented player of all time goes; tho he's achieved very little, Brecel'd have to be in top 10 easy

Si looks marginally more measured, but his very best is nowhere near as good as Luca's - just my humble :) Si to win, maybe; by being that bit more composed 👀

Books have Luca 1/2 & Si 13/8 - BF S'Bk

deffo tempted to have a fiver on Si at them odds

think tonight's QF with McGill/Si felt like a proper Crucible clash insofar as tension / closeness /excitement, goes. and it ended at right time too - just shy of midnight 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

The young generation love "stats", and dismiss someone based on them, rarely ever watching them play. "Some", key word "some", of Higgins' centuries were recorded officially, in the professional era. Stat recording only came in over this period, and in official tournaments, of which were far and few between. So the Higgins century theory, or lack thereoff, is out the window.

If you actually watch him play, I'll accept his positional play and technique were poor, you'll see what I mean. To win any standard frame, or save it, he had to pull off impossible shots pretty much every frame. Yes the bad positional play is his fault, but his eye for a pot can be seen, and is unmatched.

Raise and teach Higgins how to do it all right, he was THAT good, I've seen him consistently do things other players simply aren't capable off, in pretty much every match he plays.

He beat Hendry in the Irish masters in 91, when we were told the old generation weren't good enough to compete, while physically struggling and drunk. Hendry even said at his funeral, people don't really appreciate just how good he was.

There's no man to ever lift a cue, who was more naturally gifted than Higgins despite his troubles. Watch any standalone game with him, and in every single match he did things no other player was capable off, that simple.

He was a genius, troubled, but a genius. The way I put it, and I think most snooker fans will agree, you call on one player to pot an impossible shot to save your life, your calling on Alex Higgins every day of the week.

People can say he had poor positional play, was drunk, had bad technique, was inpatient etc, but no one ever had the same natural eye/ability for a pot. I wouldn't say he's more naturally gifted than O'Sullivan, I'd say he is by quite a distance.

I'll leave this topic with this, Jimmy White has regularly stated, in 82, he'd get another shot. Give a modern player today's balls and conditions, they couldn't pull off the break Alex did in 82. As White said, Alex was drinking before and during the match, was steamed. Yet up stands Alex, drunk and doing everything technically wrong, gets down and clears the table without a second thought. And under the circumstances and pressure, was a huge feat.

It embodied his ability to pull off impossible shots, consistently, no player before or since could. If you consider the man overrated, actually sit down and watch him. His positional play poor, but you'll never see a man pot the impossible like him. Calling him overrated is ignorance in the extreme, at full flight was the greatest potter the game will ever see

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Brecel was excellent today. Had no fear and annihilated Ronnie. He was very unlucky to be 10-6 down overnight.

Ronnie didn’t want to know today. Rolled over as soon as Luca won the first couple of frames. Got unlucky with a couple of splits and positional shots and waved the white flag. If that was Selby or Higgins they would have slowed Brecel down or tried to bog him down with safety and take him out of his stride. Ronnie did nothing and gave up.

Selby will destroy Allen and Brecel should have too much for Si but it should be an enjoyable bizarre all out attack game.

Selby number 5 is in the bag easily I think. Say he can’t believe his luck with the 3 that are left.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Davis repeatedly picked Higgins off, as most players did over time, as he was drunk and didn't have the patience for tactical matches, go for something stupid, and leave the whole frame open, while his life went down the toilet. Saying White was better is ridiculous.

You say this like it has some bearing on his natural ability anyway. No one is saying he wasn't poor positionally, drunk, technically poor, but your writing off his natural talent based on disingenuous scenarios tbh.

Your right, he did underachieve though. If he achieved anything close to what his talent potentially possessed, he would of won the world championship ten times.

He's a tragic story, but don't underestimate his genius. Go and actually watch his matches .

The people who call him over rated are the people who've never watched him, and read on Wikipedia that he only made 80 centuries. Their loss and ignorance I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Yeah sadly I agree (*edit - with mdwexford). Despite there being a 3 in 4 chance of a first time winner you can rely on Selby to spoil the party and get his 5th. I admire how he wins but I can't enjoy it I'm afraid. Fingers crossed and we have Allen vs either of the other two in the final.

The only thing I will say about Alex Higgins was the first live match I ever saw was the semi-final of the Irish Masters in Goffs in 1982 where he played Davis and lost. He was huge back then in Ireland and it was a massive thrill to see him live. We were told both players would give autographs afterwards but only Davis turned up. While I might understand his absence now I'm older the 11 year old version of me was not happy and tarnished my impression of him from then on. 2 years later I bought 2 tickets for one of the semi-finals without knowing who would be playing. It turned out to be Dennis Taylor vs Terry Griffiths. Nice guys but I was not impressed especially since it was Higgins vs Davis again in the other one. Despite these early negative experiences Goffs over the years was a fantastic place to watch snooker and grab some autographs. Sad day when it came to an end.

Post edited by mewso on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,894 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Selby obviously strong favourite now as he's done it before and crushed Higgins (who seemed to be in good form).

If Allen brings his A game and avoids getting drawn into long tactical frames he has a chance but he's really inexperienced in matches of this length and will probably be feeling the pressure of getting to his first final.

I fancy Brecel for the other semi - Si looked wrecked at the end of last nights match, but who know with the recovery powers of youth. It should be an entertaining but possibly scrappy match, they both love a crazy long pot. Some of Si's shot selections last night were incredible - the first long red he potted in the final frame where he stunned into the middle of the table. No fear or margin for error, if he'd missed the red he'd have probably lost the frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,262 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

My gut feeling is that the Si/Brecel match will either be magically brilliant stuff, or just absolute chaos. Agree that Si looked absolutely shattered by the end of last night - they both did - I was hanging, and i was only watching! But he's young, and will have a bit of a lie-in this morning, so he'll probably be grand!

The Allen/Selby one could last till Sunday.

Unfortunately I've a crazy weekend schedule, so won't get to see much of any of the rest of it live 😭😭

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Go on sure, throw up one of these "impossible" shots. And please not the blue ball haha

Funny o Sullivan admitting it's not actually that difficult a shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jhuBOev0p0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Can we stop with the digging up quotes 😁

I know any i post are mostly 40/60

I think Si will edge it v Brecel. I would put their potting levels on par. But Si at least thinks about shots and tries safety occasionally- Brecel doesn’t even try it.

The only thing that can lose it for Si is pressure. He seems to get very nervy at times. I am not sure Brecel knows what nerves are.

But the way the two semis have landed means their should be snooker for all tastes.

Feel like the long patience game - snooker suffering - tactical- Shawshank Redemption snooker - Allen. V Selby.

A shootout between two gunslingers- average 12 minute frames.Si/Brecel the one for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

SI and maybe Allen in the final

Don't fancy SI to win it outright

Afternoon Rach 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 29,262 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

God almighty, I literally would not know John Virgo 😳

His voice has not changed a bit, but he's unrecognisable from his playing days!! (since when I haven't seen him)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

My money is on Si anyway! What a story it would be

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Some fluke that was from Brecel.

Advertisement