Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭shmeee

You'll see this more and more as the season goes on. Team's will announce the team when it suits them. And just give HQ a list of 26 on the Thursday. You don't have to give your confirmed team / subs with 4 changes to the officials until 40 minutes before throw in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

I thought Stakelum would start too. I'd be fretful that its challenge match form that has won John his place back. This will be a more higher pace on Sunday. Hopefully it works out for him.

First time three brothers has started for Tipp in championship since the Bonnar brothers. Some achievement for the McGraths family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Nobody has gone to this extreme before at intercounty that team graphic looked like a bingo card😅 Loughnane killed the old fashioned AN Other while I think the only real squad number with Waterford was Maurice Shanahan wearing 21 as it had some significance for him given his personal issues.

We don’t pick the team until Wednesday or Thursday night,” said McGrath. “There are new rules there this year that the team has to be there at Wednesday morning at 9 o’clock.

“Technically, our 26 are supposed to be in on Tuesday night. We don’t pick the team (then), we just pick the 26 and see how will fellas be after Tuesday night’s training on Wednesday or Thursday. The 1 to 15 doesn’t allow for that. That’s not looking for excuses. We’ve been operating a policy whereby a fella has a set number and just does with that. I know people mightn’t like it; it’s not a traditionalist’s approach but it’s our way of doing it in management.”

The tipp team was picked tonight. And he wanted to keep the training as honest as possible I guess. But he is not disguising anything. Everybody is listed and name attached to a number. So unless they're not going to be wearing the number, what's the problem?

Four changes can be made by any team up until an hour before throw in. Do you think all those teams named this morning will all be the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭shmeee

You're last line there - I've seen teams named today that are all over the shop, but sure they named a 1-15 so everyone is happy. BS!

Anyway, love the team TBH. I think Cahill has named a team to take on Clare physically between the 2 45's. Tipperary by 5+.... Here we go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

You surely don't believe everything an intercounty manager says, I'm not that bothered personally it just looks really bizarre on text and as I said initially if certain managers did this they'd get lynched for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭farmerval

That's a strong Tipp Team. Probably as strong as we can field, John McGrath is the worry, have him back to his best and it's a massive bonus. Funny Centre forward could suit him, his lack of pace won't be as exposed.

Last years league he played there against Limerick in the first round and was great. Also if he plays at 11 will be an interesting change to have a centre forward who's not running all over the place to discommode the centre back.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Tipp 77

Heading down to Ennis confident that we will put in a good performance. Hopefully thats good enough to win and if not fair play to Clare. We are in a better place than last year and like Farmerval said if John McGrath is fit and flying he is a massive difference maker he could weigh in with 1.04 or 2.03 tomorrow and Liam Cahill has definitely been trying to get game time into him in the last few weeks so they want him out there

• Registered Users Posts: 38 89tipp91

A good win in Ennis. Strong showings from Ryan and O Mara in the backs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

A great start to the campaign. Clare will rue the fact that rookie errors gave tipp the first 3 goals. And unlike our own supportes Clare followers will be there in force next weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,090 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

very good performance in terms of work rate and defending , kept us scoreless for 17 minutes in the 2nd half when we had a strong wind , no complaints about the result but would be verry annoyed with the nature of the goals we conceded

some championship ratio for sean ryan also , 5 minutes of championship played two shots on goal 1-1 scored

Great win. Slightly strange game. At times we looked really solid at the back and at other times we looked really leaky. We struggled at times with runners getting inside our half backline.

To score so much was great. To have so many debutants and all playing well was great. To still have room for improvement was great.

The set up didn't seem to suit Jason Forde. He looked a little cooped up inside. Jake was Jake, he's just deadly.

Tipp looked a little bit sharper than Clare. Lohan happy with Clare having a very low key league maybe a factor today. With so many new players starting it was great to see the bench come on and make a difference.

ì will say one thing , the standard an especially the intensity and pace of the game was excellent for all the errors made , its a great starting point for tipperary , especially the young lads like heffernan , brian mcgrath gearoid o connor worked really hard in the impressive tipp definsive system which seemed to start on the oppisition 45 , notched over a lovely point from range too , i was bullish about ye today , i still am but as you say , cork had a better league maybe they will ask more questions

the first paragraph sums up modern day intercounty championship hurling , but the main stat if iwas backs coach in tipp tonight is , clare only scored 1 point in 17 minuts of hurling in the 2nd half with a strong wind at their backs , shot several wides due to heavy pressure in the middle 3rd on the shooter

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

What Is it tipp supporters. I was there today and we were well outnumbered. Will be the same for the rest of the munster championship.

It's embarrassing and yet they all come out of the woodwork when tipp make a final .

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭jimmythesulk

It's not just tipp supporters. We have the same problem in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

With tipp, we could get 10,000 plus at a homecoming like 2019 but than not get the same crowd for a championship game until an all Ireland semi final. Pure ignorance

We managed that game well in parts. Is it the total management package? F**k no. It's very much a work in progress. But Jesús, it's way better than last year.

Forde led the line brilliantly - took on a lot of attention. Put in a real composed shift. The peno pressure was big and in a weekend of missed penos - he delivered big time.

Clare were a bit too preoccupied with Forde. Focused a bit too much on him. It left a lot of space for Jake. Also, Clare played the man too much in the full back line. Instead of getting out in front of their men and getting to the ball - they were too busy trying to annoy and rough up - always behind the man as a result. Paid the price for it.

Clare got a purple patch - a few patches - especially before half time, but Tipp held the head and always tacked on a few points after Clare goals. Did Clare ever lead?

Before, if a team got a run of goals, Tipp would have wilted and died. But we reset the backs at half time and it worked a treat. Tipp went away from home, to Ennis, and delivered a win.

Tipp looked together as a bunch and worked hard to make Clare make mistakes. There's good spirit there.

Clare might feel they left a lot behind today. Wides and chances. But they were forced into hail mary shots from the sideline a lot. McCarthy had a great game but by god he hit some crazy wides and tried to do too much. He wasn't the only one.

As a few posters have pointed out, the bench did very well.

Seanie Ryan was one of the lads that was blamed for the Kerry defeat last year and left off the panel. Bonnar will be wondering what was he thinking today.

i told you a few weeks ago and you said the same thing , liam cahil is a top coach that has arrived at the right time with a blend of really solid young lads in form the u20s and returning veterans that have yet to reach their prime

as far as the clare man marking job , it was naïve of lohan to stick with it for the full game , forde , john mcgrath , and especially cathal barrett on kelly were excellent off the ball , in roaming unselfishly around the field without getting involved

barrett brought kelly for laps of the pitch when it should have been the other way round , did kelly get 10 possessions in the whole game

mccarthy hit 5 wides , 2 were frees 2 were under pressure one was unforgivable inside the 13 that the umpire waved as a point initially , id say its ryan taylor you are thinking of some of his wides were terrible , its my one worry from the kilkenny game last year , we can improve on conceding goals form sidlines or goalkeepers trying to shimmy past corner forwards inside their own 13 yard line but the wides are a huge problem

as for support , out of the 17000 in ennis today i am sure at least 4000 were premier men and women which is good going for this time of year , we are at 1986 levels of inflation and cost of living , back then barley 25,000 people were making it to an all ireland semi final , i taught the support was good today , bar the 9 or 10 kenyons in front of us , one of which looked like your man evenflow from youtube ,who was hell bent on picking a fight with a clare supporter to his right that looked like he was out on day release from the local unit with a flag two big for the stand (shead as we call it) he was in , great to be back!!!

Counties must confirm a 26-player match-day panel by Friday morning to Croke Park, who then release it to the public that afternoon.

"We didn’t take any pleasure in having to name the squad in the way we did," said Cahill.

"We couldn’t train on Thursday due to circumstances outside of our control. As a management team we try to roll out a schedule a month in advance for players, because these guys are working full-time and in high-pressurised jobs.

"We were unable to name a team before Friday night because of little injuries and things we needed to come right. We did request the team be released around 6pm on Friday but that request wasn’t granted.

"I hadn’t an opportunity to speak to players. There were a number of players who were going to be disappointed if they saw the team named in the media before I could have that difficult conversation with them."

Cahill added: "It was very disappointing to see criticism of the county board and ourselves. This was outside of our control. Having said that, we still stuck to the 15 we released on Friday evening. The 15 we named took to the field. I can’t be sure that happened at every game around the country this weekend."

Noelie heading towards most championship appearances for Tipp. Deserved. As good a career as anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

John Doyle would be unsurpassed if playing today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

By a huge distance, not only are there far more senior games now, but there was no U21 grade then either, colossus of a man. 19 years on the Senior team encompassing the counties greatest ever period.

Huge Hit - Ronan Maher v Ryan Taylor - Tipperary v Clare - 2023 Hurling Championship - YouTube

Looks like a fair shoulder to me. Ronan even ducked down to get it shoulder to shoulder.

I'm wondering if the reason Tipp couldn't train the Thursday and name the team for Clare was because of Ger McCarthy Month's Mind. And they probably wanted to go to that to show Conor support. Now, maybe I'm wrong on that. But the dates line up.

That Derrick Lynch is still on about the numbers...

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭osullic

If that’s a free we may all forget about hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

As a kilkenny man with no skin in that particular game I can honestly say that in my opinion it was an excellent shoulder and should not have been a free...I really worry how its going....any contact seems to be a foul...meanwhile lads throw the ball around the place and take a dozen steps..frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Why you putting this up surely nobody's giving out about this?

Oh I had a look at it and wanted other people's opinions because some Clare man maintained to me Ronan had used his elbow and it was definitely a free according to him. I didn't think it was a free at the time.

I think it was a free because Ronan played the man without the ball. Shoulder looked perfect.

In the modern game there's very little straight contact like above, lot's of it is the player in possession twisting and turning and two or three opponents pulling the free hand etc. Also so many players taking on the man and actively trying to buy frees, e.g. clamping onto the arm in around them and throwing themselves down.

Agree about the contact and a free piece. Reff'ing is extremely hard, Mark Kehoe took a lot of steps leading to our last goal, was almost certainly being fouled at the same time.

• Advertisement

Advertisement