Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blocked duct on neighbours boundary

Options
  • 18-04-2023 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

There was a crew from circet in my estate trying to pull through fibre on behalf of Eir but it went pear-shaped after some ducting was blocked As the ducting runs just to the side of the footpath the guys removed some plants and a small tree (about 1m tall) to which one of the neighbours said they are working on private property. Circet contacted DCC and the ducting does indeed go on a small part of private property were the plants were so they packed up everything and stopped. Asked them what is likely to happen now and they said Eir won't pay for new ducting (he mentioned it would cost around 10k) so they won't bring fibre to this area and leave it at the upper manhole. He also mentioned they didn't need to go much further to reach a junction box, said about 30mins more work and they would have been done.

Has anyone ever had experience what to do to resolve this? Would be a shame I cannot get fibre when a small bit of re-landscaping would fix the issue.

For reference this is an aerial view. The footpath is public but after that is private and in bit marked in red between the wall and footpath is where the ducting is.

The neighbour or well her father (who was the one who stopped everything by throwing himself in front of the digger) was saying he'd get his solicitor involved 😶. Though he did say if they had ask permission first things would have been a lot different.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 William_Flynn

Try checking if the small strip is actually private property, landdirect dot ie

might help if it is registered with the land registry.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭pakb1ue

A few days later I had the same idea. I don't know if they've incorrectly plotted the boundary or not but according to the map it's on the public side. Red circle is the same in the one above.

I did meet the same guys who were trying to unblock the duct later in the week in another area and asked them what's going to happen. They said their boss had told them not to go near my estate due to what happened.

These guys were just a civil utilities company contracted by Circet and they had their email written on the side of the van, so I did email them asking what would happen, was there anything I could do to help and sent them on the map from landdirect.ie saying the area they were working on was public if the map is to be believed but they never replied.

Yesterday there was another crew this time from Circet at the entrance into my estate pulling fibre through the ducts and I said would they be pulling fibre towards my estate and they said no.

I also emailed OpenEir and Circet but they never replied either.

I'm not sure at this point what I can do and maybe we've missed the boat as they've already pull fibre in the area but not to my estate of 30+ houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

How about you knock on the neighbours door and explain what's happening, why it's good for all the 30 houses in the estate?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭pakb1ue

If I could get a reply from OpenEir, Circet, or the civil utilities company and know they would return if we got agreement from the neighbour to carry out the works then sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

And point out that the contractors did not ask permission as the Land Registry map showed the plot in public ownership. Then suggest lifting the plants temporarily, someone on the estate would help, and then inviting the contractor back, with replanting after the work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭SteM

I think that's the wrong way around. Talk to the neighbour first, then contact the company if he's agreeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭clohamon

Broadband Cost Reduction Regulation

Article 9

(1) Subject to these Regulations, a public communications network operator has,

upon request, the right to—

(a) roll out its network at its own costs, up to an access point and a network termination point,...

...but

(4) The right to access under paragraph (1) may be refused where—....

(d) the required access to an access point or in-building physical infrastructure is contrary to the right to property of any property owner other than the holder of the right to use the access point or the in-building physical infrastructure.

...and

(6) A property owner may refuse access to any property, which is not an access point or in-building physical infrastructure or physical infrastructure of a network, where the nature of the works and any required reinstatement work is not agreed.

Advertisement