Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭SnazzyPig

If only FFG had a coalition partner to moderate their worst instincts.......oh, wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,594 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I wouldn't stick the heat in Australia!

But plenty of Irish like it/liked it historically

Not for me though. Although the Crocodile Dundee films were great!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensausage

Another consolation is that if SF do get into power ( and make a balls of it!) They may never get never get near the top table again in our lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,248 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

problem is do you ever see an SF Taoiseach calling a general election to potentially remove themselves from power ?

Also for years they have failed to shake off allegations of electoral fraud in Northern Ireland.

they have demonstrated for decades their contempt for not only the rule of law but actual democracy itself…

both in 2017 and 2019 anomalies were found that were tantamount to electoral fraud. In Derry fraudulent proxy and postal votes…

Sinn Fein pay lip service only to the ideals of democracy. Them in power ? No thanks. Their actions never match their words, they mumble out of both sides of their mouths. Not to be trusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

2011-2016 would have looked VERY different if FG didn't have Labour to hold back the worst extremes of their neoliberalism. Their manifesto planned €5 billion in selling off state assets. Labour pulled it back to €2 billion. We'd be paying private businesses for our ESB lines today if FG had their way.

In fairness to the Greens, they've made significant differences on public transport and climate plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,431 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I’ll second this but in British Columbia. People in Ireland think it is wet and gloomy (and at times it can be), but a winter in Vancouver will drive you to the edge. Weeks, and I mean weeks, without any sun and mostly rain.

Come summer you are delighted for the nice weather, but it’s ruined in recent years with huge forest fires and pretty much turn the city into Mumbai for air quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,523 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

What are the differences in public transport?

Lots of new/"improved" routes in Dublin...which in my experience have been an absolute unmitigated disaster...buses regularly don't appear..going bizarre routes that get stuck in traffic...they also literally cannot recruit enough drivers to staff them.

Climate plans that include buying carbon credits from other countries to meet targets....still importing thousands of tonnes of peat from other countries which leads to a huge additional carbon footprint while restricting use of our own peat..

Thats not to even mention the issues with ongoing energy security, use of fossil fuel, while continuing to welcome any data centre we can get our hands on.

Oh and let's not forget how the green have backed bills regularly like recently the exclusion of a huge swathe of people from mother and baby homes redress schemes...

They will be decimated at the next elections and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

They have had a decade in government and the last few years, found a magic money tree! another poster here put it very well recently. "they dont make any tough decisions, but they cant outrun the consequences of these decions" or words to that effect. Its so true...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

depends on your take. I think certain things would have been better if it was just FG, welfare reform would have been more likely for a start. Any coalition partner, will be left wing. Just means the status quo remains..

SF will likely be another joke, but FG have a magic money tree and its the highish to high income earners they purport to represent!

Have you heard of Bus Connects? Heard of the 24 hour services on DB and BE? Heard of the 90 minute fare? Heard of the higher frequency on rail services?

The idea that nothing can be approved of until everything is perfect is nonsense.

• Advertisement

Bus connects - yes....it looks to be working incredibly poorly in general despite being a good idea in principal. They don't have the drivers, the actual execution so far is poor.

24 hour services - sure a great idea...the reliability again is incredibly poor. They don't have the drivers.

90 minute fare - great idea, but it means less money coming in to service....it's handy for my now.... 1 hour 20ish minute journey to work...which before the bus spines came in used to take me half that time...

I don't think people are asking for everything to be perfect....but some of the services are a disaster. Take the G1/G2 route for an example. They aren't listening to any of the feedback, they have also made a haims of the now one an hour 60 route.

What about the other comments I had?

Like I said the greens are going to be decimated imo in the next GE and they have 100 percent brought it on themselves.

Let’s revisit the post after the next election so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Well it's certainly hard when the guy moving is middle aged and has a serious dose of the "boo hoo poor me's".

The "I'm going to Oz" lads are gas. 1.2m Aud for a gaff that's 90+ mins from work.

Oh, and that's by train. If you want to drive, it'll be circa 80 Aud a day with tolls, fuel and parking.

So no response to what I have said? It is all true but then again I think you know that.

Sure thing last general election they got about 7 percent first preferences...I would say half that the next time round.

This story should be another nail in the coffin for the greens and Eamon Ryan imo.

Post edited by gmisk on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

I was only discussing it with my uncle today (both of us returned from Australia) the government out there gives a damn about the worker whereas here its all for the long term unemployed. Its rare youd ever hear of the workers struggling like they are here over there (industry dependent) whereas you would hear of the long term unemployed group getting hardships. I saw one case where a benefactor of state payments had his pensions cut due to him getting a windfall from a lotto type thing over there as the pensions must be means tested monthly/yearly there. However if you do go out to work and contribute to society over there should some bad luck come youre way youll be well lookes after over there.

Im doing an apprenticeship here at the minute i reckon ill head back when finished. Best we can do in Ireland is head to Intel get €1000/week after tax while giving 20hrs travelling to and from site takeaway diesel/digs, rent/mortgage and utilities youll find the €1000/week getting small and god knows that wont last forever either and you are working on a soul destroying site at that too. Whereas in Australia you can get into a minesite or similar on a FIFO/DIDO roster where you might work 3:1 or 6:2 youll do big hours in that time but youve no living away expenses no daily commute and a pretty decent camp to live in. I saw a Tik Tok the other day saying boilermakers (my trade falls under that umbrella) are getting $200k/year wheras here you wouldnt get €80k but with youre lodge on top you could take home €1000 most weeks not to mention less tax and actual value for youre tax too.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 14,407 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Surely you still have to pay rent or a mortgage on a property while you are away in the mines, or do you just short let for the week you are off? And I suspect people here would complain bitterly if their jobs meant three out of four weeks are spent away from family.

Maybe I’m the only one who thinks €1k AFTER TAX (~ 83k gross) is a fairly descent wage for a newly graduated plumber, no doubt he/she can pick up a few nixers if wanted as plumbers are in high demand and travelling 4 hrs to/from work per day may not be typical.

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

That's all well and good but you are living in a camp in the middle of nowhere.

It's a great way for a young person to make money and save it.

It's not really comparable to working in Intel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

and $200k is only about €127k, so while it sounds good in aussie dollars it is not a huge amount for a job in difficult conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iniscealtra

My OH’s brother is the same age as me - 40. We work less in Ireland than they do and own our own home. They can’t afford to buy over there. I think people like the idea of going somewhere else but have little idea of the reality of the situation. I guess you also don’t have the family pressure of answering questions about how you’re getting on when abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭I see sheep

FIFO is financially rewarding but tough, I wouldn't do it for any money.

You'll find most lads working FIFO long term are on their 3rd/4th marriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Australia is known to be a bad place to live as an incel as there are tall Chads everywhere. This incel YouTuber is from Australia.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xB3vQbomu3U

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

I lived in Oz and after coming home my conclusion is we've a great little country here and personally I much prefer it. Ireland has the potential to level up and be an absolutely quality place to live. Seeing the potential wasted for me is the most frustrating thing about being home.

I think we are way too docile as a nation and should be demanding value from our taxes. Health, housing, public transport, justice all currently absolute shitshows that do not reflect the standards expected for a successful first world country.

Can this be changed? Yes most certainly but the people need to drive the change because some of the useless apes in Leinster House sure as hell won't unless there is a threat to their seat and people come knocking.

If we had that bit of an edge about us, were more demanding about value for taxes, it would make all the difference. I'm certain.

I don't say that in a go out and wreck the place fashion - I say it in a demand more, get involved in local politics, be vocal fashion. Put pressure on representatives where you can etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

discovered this thread today, it just seems like the OP is very much a glass is half empty person. I agree with around 30/40% of what is being said, however many issues seem to be blown out of proportion.

No country is perfect, every country has faults. I don't see the point of this thread, you seem to have made up your mind about going, and this thread is just to complain about Ireland? Both Ireland and Australia are great places to live, but for different reasons, both places have many faults.

Lots of people have said in this thread that we don't get enough for the amount of tax we pay, and you don't see where the tax money goes. Valid points, but I can't really believe that nobody mentioned servicing our national debt, which is around €4bn a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Unless you're a petro-state running a gigantic energy export surplus, pretty much every country runs on debt. And in fact, a lot of petro-states have began to take on debt in the last number of decades for strategic reasons. A country is not a household and should not be financed like a household.

Our debt is is manageable in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Married to an Aussie but I haven't been back to Australia since 2009. The fcukin flight is too long. My back was in bits after the last flight so I skipped going back on hols. She's gone back a few times on holidays and to see family in the last 10 years but eve she wouldn't consider living there again. Yes, the wages are very good and there's plenty of work but I don't think people realise how expensive it is to live out there. $120k sounds like a heap of money here but it doesn't go near as far as people think out there.

If you are happy to go there, live like a monk, have no social life, work like a lunatic and save every bob you can, then by all means, go for it. You'll manage to save a nice little nest egg but you'll miss out on life. It's very hard to have it all. And by all I mean plenty of money and a good lifestyle. My inlaws live there, they are Aussies, they live a nice enough lifestyle, but they all complain that they have to commute over an hour and a half each way to work. And they complain about the cost of living too.

Just to be clear, it's a nice enough country to work in if you can stick the heat, but the streets certainly aren't paved with gold. You'll earn every bob you make. In my mind €50k here is better than $100k over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

but at the same time, our debt to GDP ratio is the second highest in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Nowhere near it. We've paid down our debt to about 45 percent of GDP as of this year. We've demolished our debt ratio over the last few years. It's lower than Germany's ratio for instance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Having lived in various different countries Australia is massively overrated IMO and most Aussies I encountered I didn’t want to encounter again. Also I must light a candle for your poor parents…

Advertisement