Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭rrs

2020 was an anomaly of a Championship played In Winter. Tipperary won Munster and have gone backwards since. Tyrone breezed past Cavan the following year in Ulster.

Last year was a decent performance against Donegal but that Donegal team went downhill after losing the 2020 final. This was a home game and beaten fairly comfortably

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

I thought first half he drifted between midfield and FF line. Second he stayed more at midfield.

Interesting article from Cahair O’Kane in the Irish News:

You’d wonder how long the cult of Graham will allow him to get away with getting it wrong in quite so many games. Yes, Ulster in 2020 was fantastic but let’s not forget the dark, dark days we have also had - Clare at home in 2020, Fermanagh & Wicklow in 2021, Tipp & Westmeath in 2022. Yesterday also ranks among those - along with Antrim & Fermanagh this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Fair play to you Cavan_King if you watched it again, once in the flesh was enough for me.

You have absolutely nailed two things in that post. Once the draw was made we knew it was going to be Armagh. How they lined up wasn't a surprise and yet we had absolutely no idea how break them down.

And the minimum anyone would expect would be that if we lost, we would have put up a fight. It was a completely rudderless and timid performance, and that's the hard part to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Yes - agree with that, a serious depression around the fact that we just didnt give it a right go at all. Very hard to take and I have no doubt the players will be feeling the same after 6 months of hard graft. I am not sure how they'll be able to get up for this Tailteann Cup. Only winning it out would go someway to rescuing this season.

Was there a plan? We went man for man at the back (again) with no cover- which i could accept if we were playing some gung-ho attacking football- which we weren't. As a performance in a big match it almost was carbon copy of the Westmeath match. No intensity. Walking pace. Cleaned out of it in the middle in the first half. I can't believe how flat we were. Someone beside me said when the times going behind the band "our lads look nervous" and he was right- Armagh were completely up for the fight and we simply were not. That's the sad part.

• Advertisement

A 2 point loss to Clare and a one point loss to Fermanagh in the league aren't really dark days. Even the loss to Tipp at hom. Annoying, frustrating but not dark days.

A trimming to Tyrone in the qualifiers in 2019 when we were beaten before we went on the pitch. Losing to an absolutely cat Wiclow team. Not showing up against Westmeath in the Tailteann final. Those are dark days.

I thought Gearoid went out the middle simply becasue Smith and Brady went absolutely missing. I am a huge fan of both players but they were absolutely nowhere in that game. Given the conditions and the intensity required, I would have stuck the Gunner in the middle. At least he would have contested dirty ball in the first half which we didn't seem to any of.

I was convinced we were well primed and would come out of the traps and have a proper crack at Armagh. After 2 minutes it was clear i couldn't have been more wrong. It was risk averse, passive nonsense. And let's not doubt it- Down will give Armagh a game. So we can park the league being our downfall talk. We were in division four FFS last year and we came out and gave Donegal a decent rattle (yes, they were on the slide, but let's not forget that they could have won Ulster last year if they had a decent manager).

And the narrative about the 16 wides all being from outside the scoring zone is nonsense- yes in the first half, but in the second half when Armagh took the foot of the pedal / ran out of steam / got the jitters (i think a combination of all three) we had fairly straightforward chances. The last 4 wides for example were all very kickable. Knock two of those over and it would have made for an interesting finish.

Not that we deserved anything from that performance. It was as pathetic a collective display I've seen in an Ulster match for a long time. Even in 2021 when we were the walking wounded, we at least put it up to Tyrone for 40 minutes until they got their goal. We were practically out of this game after 20 minutes.

How many of the panel are going to be geared up for the Mickey Mouse All-Ireland? What about fans? More games against the likes of Fermanagh, Antrim, Longford and Tipperary? Yay! I can't wait to burn money on diesel and tickets for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Big test of the resilience of this group after that. If we are gutted as supporters, imagine dedicating 6 months of your life and that game going how it went.

The tactics weren't right but the players need to look inwards too. McVeety spent most of his time moaning and looking for frees. Ray at this stage needs to be hitting those frees. Paddy Lynch with an inexcusable conversion rate. I could go on.

There's a very real risk that the team breaks up now. Lads could head for the USA or just drop off. If we aren't at full tilt we are liable to be overturned by Div 3 and 4 sides.

I sincerely hope they can get it together and that this isn't the beginning of the end of this side.

They are games we shouldn’t be losing. The Clare result started the rot because it got us relegated and, while Clare are a decent team, you shouldn’t be losing to them at home.

I enjoyed the Tailteann Cup games last year but it’s going to be a hard slog now after watching that farce on Saturday.

I had hoped we were going somewhere but, alas, it appears no.

I’d love to see what someone like Oisin McConville could bring to this group of players before a lot of them hang up their boots.

Losing to Clare is in no way a dark day. Annoying yes, avoidable yes, but it's in no way comparable to the Wicklow loss or the real dark days of 2009-2012.

Not sure what Oisin McConville has done as a manager to be excited about.

• Advertisement

The first half of the League final didn't suggest Cavan would come all out of the traps. It was a slow ponderous performance . Fermanagh didn't have the forwards to punish Cavan. The second half was an improvement but couldn't have been much worse.

I assumed (wrongly) that we were holding back for the Armagh game.

Huge test to keep lads motivated for the Tailteann (again). We all know they have put in serious shifts in and had to be thinking they had a good chance of making an Ulster final again. I am sure they are hurting but wonder whether they will have the appetite for more slog for a second rate competition.

I'm not exactly feeling the love for it either, but a few weeks later (and i should have dried off by then after Saturday!) I might warm to it a bit. It might depend on the draw. I'll be rooting for Down and Offaly- that way if they make provincial finals we might see a few new teams to play! :)

Credit to the hurlers, in very trying conditions for the small ball, they put in a serious shift and deserved the win.

I can think of way more embarrassing Cavan fiascos than a two point loss to Clare at Breffni in snow, hail and gale force winds.

If there was talk of managerial change, there's not really anyone who jumps to mind. Unless we could entice the current Louth manager....:)

He’s been doing punditry for the last decade or more and it’s quite clear he knows his stuff. I feel a fresh voice is needed and he is one that springs to mind.

Maybe he could get Colm Parkinson and Thomas Niblock in his backroom team. Joanne Cantwell could come in as a tactical consultant.

Parkinson wouldn’t have the temperament for management and is too controversial. Not sure he’s interested in it either.

I wouldn’t know much about Niblock or Cantwell but I don’t believe either are intercounty managers. Care to enlighten us as to what experience they have that you’ve linked them?

Last time I checked McConville has managed club sides like Crossmaglen, had a stellar playing career where he won an All Ireland & is an intercounty manager. He also lived in Cavan for a time and has worked with club teams here. He lives an hour up the road so is a realistic proposition.

Not sure why you’ve therefore likened him to three people above who have never even managed a club team to my knowledge.

Want to share your own opinion on the management situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Will take a lot of motivating I'd imagine to get our lads reved up for a tilt at the tailteann cup.maybe getting out of division 3 takes more out of men than many of the rest of us could appreciate.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blue47

I don't disagree but the performance was so abysmal on Saturday that they should want to atone for it and be glad of the opportunity to have games coming up and not have to wait until the League next February. We'll see how it pans out but a lot of those young lads should be getting a bit of game time now, McKenna, Ryan O'Neill, David Brady, Tiarnan Madden etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭celt262

Still half vexed after that performance Saturday night.

I think it could be time for Graham to go once the TC is finished but the county boards need to be careful on the next management appointment and who ever it is needs to be given time as it's going to be a rebuild as i think a few of the long standing players may decide to retire in next year or two.

It doesn't look like the team has improved over the last few years and it will take a big effort to get back to a TC final and it's looking stronger this year than it was last year.

Division 2 wont be easy next year while there are teams in it that many will say that we are better than and should be beating in reality we will probably be fighting for survival with Fermanagh and Meath.

• Advertisement

If that is the case, and Saturday did have a feel of an end of the era management wise, I would hope that the County board are given notice to get a good process in place. I don't want a repeat of 2017!

I think we will see most players staying on for the Tailteann as they probably will want some form of reward for all the work they have put in, but could be wrong. But definitely think we will see 3/4 players stepping away after that. But it needn't be a total end of an era. As much as it pains me to say, we should be looking at Monaghan*. Each year we hear that that's the end of them, but like a zombie in a horror movie, they come back for more. No need saying we are back to 2010 and need a total rebuild each year.

And fair play to celt262 for only being half vexed at this stage. I've not managed to get to that stage yet!

*off to say a decade of the rosary for even mentioning those shower.

The one good thing about the Tailteann is that we are a top seed so you’d imagine we should have one Div 3 team in with us and 2 Division 4. Therefore the chance should be there to rotate and give the younger lads a chance.

I still think we have a good squad and some of your core group of players - Faulkner, McVeety, Ciaran Brady, Gerry Smith - are only 29 this year.

To be honest, I have felt it has been an issue with Mickey and his treatment of newer players for a while now. I made no secret that I felt Luke Fortune in particular was badly treated for a lad who in my opinion did no wrong.

Look at Evan Finnegan this year. You could have done with some of his intensity on Saturday evening. He was discarded half way through the League.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens going forward with the panel but hopefully Mickey can see out the year on a high winning the Tailteann and then walk away.

He got a two year tenure last year but even he must know things have gone stale.

The intercounty managerial merry go round is not easy though - just ask Donegal, Limerick or Meath. We need to get it right as others have said.

I’ve always thought that Cavan should be ideally located - close to Northern counties to attract some of the Armagh or Tyrone lads. Close enough to Dublin to attract others may be in that area.

I still think someone like McConville would be ideal. Any other suggestions? Enda McGinley?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

It will be interesting to see how the players respond in the Tailteann cup, Will they go through the motions and we end up dumped out maybe in a quarter final, or will they be highly motivated to go one better than last year.

It will also be interesting to see if Mickey rotates things, There's lads, outside the 26 player panel named against Armagh, but in the extended squad,I'd like to see get game time.

As for a potential management change at the end of the year, If it happens,

Internal candidates could be Jason Reilly and Dermot McCabe( he'd have to leave the role of Games Development Manager though as you can't manage at Senior IC and hold that role).

McGinely is a good pundit, but he has no track record as a manager. If we are going outside the county (and i never am a huge fan about that), it has to be someone who is a step up.

Would Michael McDermott the ex Ramor manager be worth going for?. He's had a lot of success at Club level, and managed Clare the last time they reached the Munster final in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭celt262

Whoever comes in is going to have a job on there hands anyway. The core of the current team have been around now for 10 years or so and nobody can fault their commitment to playing for Cavan it may not have always gone to plan but they were a good bunch of committed players.

Graham may want to stay on and rebuild but he could be running out off goodwill at this stage and if things don't go well next year there will be plenty of lads with the pitchforks out.

I would prefer a local to manage the county team as they should have long term interests at heart and hopefully try and get the best young players in the county to commit. A outsider might try and talk lads who don't really want to commit into staying on another year and i don't think that will serve us any good in the long run.

He won the senior championship with Ramor & recently won the Meath championship with Wolfe Tones. He works in the Credit Union in Virginia so is in the area.

As far as I remember, he was in for the job when Graham got it. I also believe he went for the Meath job after McEntee went.

Yeah he went for it previously and was in for the Meath job. It shows he wants another crack at County management.

Currently managing Celbridge in Kildare.

Good to see the county lads will be let play this weekend. Crosserlough & Ballinagh both with their available county lads tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Any truth to rumour that Graham is taking over Kilcoo?

Advertisement