Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar for Beginners [ask your questions here]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

Crap, I never considered that. It's not an issue in Dublin itself. I expect the telco network fails over to other 4G towers if there is a power outage and no batteries are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭JayBee66

My installer warned me against not having one. Solartricity too. As others say, part of the grant requirements. However, now that I'm on my third one (they only have so many switchings in them before they fail,) when it too fails then I shall connect the males and females and not bother with a new one. I'll put a sign up somewhere warning that there isn't one. If there's a mechanical one that is not reliant on electricity then I might install that instead. I think there are mechanical ones for neon signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭connesha

In North Co. Dublin. This year has been worse than most for scheduled works needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

yeah we got a regina doherty newsletter in the door a few weeks ago where the esb say its due to the number of houses being built in the area.. they have a few things in the pipeline to improve the situation but i wouldn't hold my breath. One of the times it went after the water being off for 1.5 days.. i reckon everyone just boiled the kettle and had showers at the same time and lashed on ovens so probably overloaded the grid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

What wiring is required for it is it a 3/4 core flex and 6mm earth ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

A stupid questions post:

Background: Electricity bill is currently fine, but gas bill has been through the roof last few bills, so really need to do something about it. We use gas for heating the immersion/hot water, and for cooking, and I want to retain the gas hob. Four adults in the house, using power during daytime, pretty much all year round, between study and WFH.

Our house faces east-west and isn't overlooked/shaded. I can potentially put panels on both the front and back roofs. We don't have an EV, but our next car (changing in 2 to 4 years) will be either PHEV or full EV.

• Can we use solar PV to both provide power for the house and to heat the water tank?
    • Can we both heat the water tank and also charge a battery? (Car will be light use, mostly, but would be charged overnight)
    • If we had panels on both roofs to provide usual power, charge a battery and heat the water, would there still be excess power we could sell back to the grid? Or am I looking for too much there? Basically I'm trying to work out what's the most bang for our buck, if a two-roof system can't do it all.
    • Any recommendations for installers who would work Dublin northside and would provide a quote without "needing" excessive details (some of the websites I have seen seem designed just to get contact details so you can be added to a spam list!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭con747

To avail of the grant, yes. I had them in my installation to get the grant, but removed them afterwards when the SEAI inspection timeframe lapsed. After 6+ months they most likely won't inspect an install. Never say never though just in case! Mine was in a year before I got them removed. It's only a requirement here "Ireland" for the grant, Northern Ireland and the UK don't use them like many countries afaik.

I have a lot of power cuts here in the midlands so wanted to utilise the panels during daylight and batteries at night when no power.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

As for inspecting your property after the grant has been given, I'd be pretty confident that SEAI have no legal standing and you could tell them to f%$* off and that "would be the end of that".

Removal of the fireman's switch is one of those things which is probably debatable. Ultimately it's your house and your call. I should say here that I'm not a spark, but my understanding of it is that it does serve a useful function in certain scenarios. If you have a long wiring path from the entry of the strings through the roof into house and then down through your house to finally the inverter, it could serve as a safety measure in the event of a fire. Normally what they do is kill the mains, so then that switch would isolate that 400-500vdc being live should a fireman be swinging an axe. If on the otherhand the inverter is in the attic and meters away from the entry point - it's a bit pointless if you ask me. So removing it could (potentially) be an issue - but on the other hand having working solar in a outage is nice :-)

I guess they insist as they simply don't want to get into a debate over the distances, so they mandate it for all.

If a fireman in most other countries can do their job without being electrocuted can the lads here not. Not getting into a debate about it though!

• Advertisement

Nahh, I'm in your camp mate. I'm just saying what the disadvantage is if you are going to disable it. Personally I think it's totally fine. There's an argument though to avoid disabling it depending on where your inverter is located and the path the wiring is taking. For example, let's say your inverter is in your utility room near the back door. That's a long way from the roof that those cables are running.

Dunno - if there was a way to have the fireman switch and then be able to by pass it in a power cut by a manual swap over, that probably would be the best of both worlds.

Me? I'm in south city Dublin. Can't remember a outage of more than 1 hr in the last year. The EPS socket is fine I think (for me)

The joys of city living! I remember those days in Dublin when we couldn't afford to buy a house there when brown envelopes were the currency. 7 power cuts last year and 3 I think this year but memory can be iffy, so wanted something to keep the oil burner, well water system and basics like router /landline "0 mobile signal" here and a microwave/toaster/kettle when the power goes. Inverter and all is a few feet from the consumer unit, 6 feet from the front door in a wasted space previously. Now it's a feckn nightmare because I can't walk by the inverter without pressing the buttons, 14 months after install. 😂

Post edited by con747 on

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭JayBee66

I installed Home Assistant to stop me looking at the inverter panel. It did the trick. Now, I look at the Home Assistant panel all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I have an old iPad mini from one of the kids that I run the Myenergi app on constantly without going to sleep and I have that mounted to my wall above my desk. That eases the pain somewhat of looking at the Home Assistant all day 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Question for the audience: I'm going with two Hoymiles microinverters for a small solar project (three panels total). I can get a DTU-WLite (2.4G) for 58 EUR, but it appears to be limited to four panels and the other DTU offerings are seemingly crazy money. How are people finding the monitoring/management of the microinverters and how well does their cloud integrate into Home Assistant?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭oaklands

look into openDTU & AhoyDTU.

I am using openDTU with 2 x HM-600 (4 panels)...but not using MQTT or HA.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭who what when

I'm sure this has been asked before but is it necessary to get a BER cert done when getting the SEAI grant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭alfa_aficionado

In the process of getting quotes - is there any significant difference between different solar panel brands, specifically is there any benefit from going for supposed premium panels?

E.g. Recom RCM-390-6BHE 390Wp panels, which promise a linear power output warranty (>92.5% at 25 years)? The quote I've received is for a 8.58kWp system using these panels; at 25yrs presumably the system should still be rated to 7.94kWp at least?

One of the other quotes I've received is for a slightly larger system using 400Wp Canadian Solar HiKu6 (All-Black) CS6R-400MS panels - system size is 8.8kWp, however the Canadian Solar panels are rated to 84.8% at 25yrs meaning effective system size is at a minimum 7.46kWp in 25yrs time?

If not, is it simply a case of going for the largest OR the most cost effective (€/kWh) system?

(of course I should ask how do they know at what rate their panels will degrade? It's not as if they've been around for 25yrs already. Furthermore who knows if they'll still be around in another 25yrs and how would you even go about claiming on such a warranty?)

9.1kWp (5.6E/3.5W)

As has been said numerous times here before, the best panels are the cheapest panels.

• Advertisement

Just got a quote there. One of the things is network pre-approval at 880 bob.

Does anyone have any idea what this is?

Only thing that I can think of is that your requesting a large system and require a NC7 submission, because you want to export more than 6kw. other than that, I'd be querying that as it could be "magic beans".

Most people (99%) are fine on a free NC6 application.

Thank you. It was for a 7.8kw array with 6kw inverter. I'll talk to them on Tuesday to clarify.

7.8Kwp array with a 6kw inverter is totally fine on a (free) NC6 submission. Infact it's encouraged to oversize the array to the inverter a little.

So no need for a NC7 - assuming that the money was indeed for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

had my first power cut this morning post eps socket being wired in - few observations. Virgin media internet didn't work. Router stayed on but no internet connectivity. Socket worked fine though! Was able to power the tv and few bits but was only off a half hour so wasnt a big deal. Pity about the internet - need to search always on options :)

the power cut may have also impacted on provider side of things

...if installed by end of this month, else NC7 required, if it's a quote and not going to happen in May then installer on the ball

Yeah - for sure! I'd forgotten that Slave.

However, I ran the numbers awhile back and for most people a 5Kw inverter will only see you lose a small amount over a 6Kw one. Depends a little on how far you oversize the array to the inverter of course, but it was like €30 or so I figured a year that you'd lose. Depends a lot on a number of factors, such as it would primarily affect people who have south facing roofs (people with E/W split like me less likely to experience clipping), you'd have to have arrays more than 20% realistically over your inverter.

Is that worth a NC7 submission? For the average consumer, probably not I'd argue - but it's something to consider. If you did bang in NC7, I'd not stop at 6Kw, but go for 8Kw inverter and 10Kwp in panels, but that's me :-)

If going for NC7 I'd go for approval for two 6kW inverters and install less than that but leave future expansion options without having to go back to esbNetworks again

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Figured that would be the case. Thanks for confirming though (fellow VM customer).

Advertisement