Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Doesn't that tell us that your issue is with refugees and not the immigration system? This woman is an actual refugee from Syria who was successful with her asylum claim - and it sounds from this that she is an OAP with some health problems (probably brought to Ireland and now looked after by her son, also mentioned in the report).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,280 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I got 96% in First Year Comm Statistics back in 1993....Jesus Christ lads, I think everyone knows what a Percentage means. No need for comparing willys

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

If she's an OAP and is a refugee, then what is the problem? Admittedly most refugees are younger, but it is not at all unheard of for a much older person to claim asylum (and it sounds like she was accompanied by her son to Ireland).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Getting treatment in Beaumont hospital if you don't mind, most of us born and bred here couldn't even afford that.

Taking a court case as well looking for damages and we all know who is footing the bill for that.

Those 2 scroungers should be sent straight back to wherever they crawled out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Beaumont is a large public hospital, its nothing special.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

No I hate **** like this from all nationalities.

She wants a paid for 2k a month apartment for free in Dublin, and went to court to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

That Syrian woman didn't sit down over a brew and decide to sue the state. Probably has little to no English and even less knowledge of the law - I'd imagine The Irish Refugee Council (one of the hundreds of NGO's that share €6bn pa iirc) headed up by Nick Henderson, brought the case for her. They probably told her what they were going to do and she said 'Yeah, whatever' - They [TIRC] are paid for by us and we've basically paid them to sue us with our own money and they lost. The good news is that everyone involved in the case got really well paid

My problem with this one (on the face of it) is with the grifting NGO's. They used our money to sue us, lost the case, and the money was redirected to lots of already rich people. It's some sort of a 'three card trick' at play

In the sixth last paragraph....it talked about her accessing geriatric services in Dublin (the article also mentions her having mobility and memory loss issues).

My issue is that not only is she now being housed and fed and given medical care in a safe country. She also wants DAMAGES cos she fancies living in the city rather than the Midlands.

How about all our young teachers sue the Govt for DAMAGES cos they want to live in the city as well?

He who pays the piper calls the tune. Since this Syrian is not paying a red cent towards her upkeep then she is not entitled to be choosy about where she lives.

Which essentially was the (for once rational) judgement today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I’m not surprised it was 1993 given that you’re clearly unable to differentiate a % and a % point..

Might be time to crack open stats 101 for the first time in three decades.

But she lost her case - why are you so angry? The overwhelming number of asylum seekers and refugees don't take legal action against the State : these types of cases are extremely unusual, perhaps one a year or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭US3

1 a year? We had an Afghan from France lad sueing the state for not providing him accommodation earlier this month!

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭creeper1

In the 1990s there was a huge conflict in Yugoslavia and Ireland didn't receive huge numbers of Yugoslavs. Similarly in the 1990s there was a Rwandan genocide and, again, no huge numbers of Rwandans arrived.

What has changed? Why is that when trouble flares up, no matter how unconnected to Ireland that may be that now in the 2023 we have "legal and moral duties"

Okay. You want Sudanese here. Clear space by deporting all the Pakistanis, Georgians, Albanians, Nigerians, Egyptians etc that patently have no reason to seek shelter.

Then maybe we could talk. But who are we kidding? That we way beyond the ability of those in charge

I'm angry because the ridiculous case even got an (expensive) day in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Hamachi

It’s genuinely annoying as a tax payer to see money squandered on a folly of this nature.

I’m sure many of us posting here work hard, in demanding jobs to support our families, raise young children, pay the mortgage etc. The entire social contract is predicated on paying taxes to ensure that services are available to those who contribute and indeed, those who are unable to contribute through no fault of their own.

Instead, we now have a situation where the health service is falling apart, the education system is significantly overstretched, and the housing market is dysfunctional. Whilst asylum seekers are not the root cause of all ills, the situation is exacerbated by individuals like this, who will never contribute to the system and instead abuse our generosity by taking spurious legal action, all of which is financed by the Irish taxpayer! It’s frankly insane.

I don’t care if it’s once a month or once a year. This type of egregious nonsense must be eliminated. I’ve said it before, but I suspect those who see no issue with any of this, are insulated from the fall-out and have no real stake in the future of this country. Particularly those who apparently have limitless time to downplay and to obfuscate online.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭slay55

You respond to everything with complete nonsense and guess work.

Because the total cost for this case is probably more than what most of us pay in a year in tax.

Our money is being wasted by people like NGO Nick, funded by the government, encouraging people to being bullshit cases and waste more money.

And honestly, keep the reporting of this coming. The more we know the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

I think the majority would agree with this sensible analysis. We could do with another poll to get the national picture. We are a democracy after all.

If anything this thread repeatedly shows, it is the obstinacy of the typical leftist response, and as in this thread, very much a minority opinion.

As long as this issue continues, except more hardening of the public's opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

The upcoming recession should put an end to this refugee nonsense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Would explain the sudden huge coverage of the Sudanese conflict, softening us up , countless uprisings and conflicts all over the world and all of a sudden Sudan is front and centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Quelle surprise

We’ve bent over and spread our arse cheeks to the world, and they’ll take us with relish.

Country of naive fools

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭creeper1

Bunch of incompetent clowns! If they are going to have people in hotels at least pay on time instead of incurring late fees and having to pay interest! That is just throwing money away.

Absolute morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭It wasnt me

This is absolutely insane. Ludicrous and he should be removed from his position immediately.

Between this BS and the group of degenerates on Mount Street with f***k irlanda and protesting to abolish the Dublin regulation III and that the IPO is racist,goes to show they have no regard for democracy and are leeches pure and simple. Welfare state and handouts.

I fear for my childrens futures and my retirement in 20 years time.

This judge is a disgrace.

We need a massive reform of immigration policy which removes us from the EU stipulations AND which cannot be challenged in court.

And forget about taking in Sudanese. That really will be the straw that breaks the cameld back.

The less developed world needs to get their own **** together and stop leeching off the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Kyokushin Grappler

And the usual suspects would be going nuts if we wanted to arm up to defend ourselves and our families.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭enricoh

The first thing on rte 6 o clock news yesterday. The sudanese ambassador was interviewed in the studio too.

Where's Helen 'we won't be found wanting' mcentee and Roderick 'no limits ' O'Gorman. Maybe we'll get a solemn declaration of unity at the weekend and get the good news numbers wise!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭NattyO

There are thousands of people who offered rooms for Ukrainians who haven't had their offer taken up, so I'm sure they'll all be willing to take Sudanese refugees instead. Have the Sudanese flags appeared on Facebook yet?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Hamachi threadbanned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Matt Cooper had a couple of guests on to discuss this (both pro immigration of course)

Summary, there’s no way this will be a pull factor,no chance people will come to a country that has a legal obligation to house them or face paying compensation

Also most of the accommodation being provided is of an emergency type, we need to be building more permanent housing for refugees. Also that the standard of accommodation being provided is not of a high enough standard.

I give up, we’re fcuked, May as well start shipping in the Sudanese now

Advertisement