Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

LExus IS300h Install new carplay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭sumo12

I can't help at all with your post, but I'm interested to see if this works. Seems to good to be true at that price, I always believed you had to swap out the entire head unit to get AC or AA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭djan

No need to swap out head units unless on older cars without screens.

Nowadays, especially for common cars you get a box that is connected between the unit and controls and uses the original screen to output video. You maintain original usability as you can switch between the new and OEM system on the fly through a long hold of a set button. I'd definitely go for a wireless AA Carplay as its much easier to install and less hassle to use.

Installation itself is plug and play but the bigger issue is taking off the centre console trim without breaking too many clips leading to wonky alignment and creaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭sumo12

Ok good advice thank you. Is the link that the OP posted the way to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Be careful in case you get stuck with having to pay customs duty and/or VAT on that here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭djan

Couldn't say as not familiar with Lexus, the boxes and their connections are very specific to. Vehicle and generation/region so have to make sure it's the right one. Especially when ordering direct from China. As mentioned by others there is potential for substantial import fees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,449 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

My friend got one, it was a disaster. I don’t think there’s a good solution for the IS300h.

His car has the premium nav with the bigger screen and uses the sorta mouse pointer thing. The screen resolution isn’t good enough to run CarPlay (well, clearly anyway), the controls never worked properly, and you have to select an input for the CarPlay part. Terrible setup. Had hassle getting a refund on it too.

The videos on these sort of units are cleverly edited to make them seem a lot slicker than in reality.

Post edited by colm_mcm on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

ahhhhh ha - good to know - thanks for the heads up

Advertisement