Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭jmreire

No, but I'd definitely keep the windows closed...and the air-con off ( it it has one.......)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

But he's the one who took Mariupol,the city putin wanted since the original invasion in 2014 , despite throwing everything but the kitchen sink at it ,if I remember correctly they lost over 100 tanks against the original Azoz battalions and a few ukraine military soldiers who were essentially cut off ,

Post edited by Gatling on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭Homelander

This is absolutely absurd revisionism.

The Russian force that invaded Ukraine was absolutely not "comically small". It was the size it needed to be to militarily defeat Ukraine in a lightning campaign using what should've been Russia's massive advantage in equipment and technology.

It wasn't defeated just because Ukraine put up a fight. It was defeated because Russian leadership, equipment, tactical, logistical and combined arms ability are non existent, which literally no-one expected, probably least of all Putin himself.

They have suffered absolutely horrendous losses in Ukraine. Their air force, which should have established air superiority on day one, hasn't turned up despite its size, because their training and ability to work with other branches is appallingly poor. The idea that the current situation is as a result of Russia somehow holding back is utter drivel.

If the Russian Armed Forces were performing as they should have based on their annual budget, which is 10x that of Ukraine (that's even allowing for Ukraine's recent increase since 2014), they should have rolled over Ukraine in the first few days in a somewhat less-dominant, but not entirely dissimilar fashion to how the coalition utterly demolished Iraq in both Gulf Wars.

Even before any meaningful Western support arrived Russia were performing utterly horribly, due to their own colossal ineptitude.

It's actually more comparable to the massive Arab armies attacking Israel simultaneously and still getting utterly destroyed. Russian Armed Forces are rotten with corruption and nepotism and it's laid bare for the world to see in their performance in Ukraine. It's basically an enormous horde army, not a modern 21st century army as even experts expected.

Of course they're still inflicting damage, of course they're still dangerous, of course they can still make some gains potentially. But we're talking about a $5bn army fighting a $60bn army to a total attrition stalemate that's like a conflict somewhere in between the First and Second World War, an artillery and infantry grinder.

Putin has humiliated himself and the Russian Armed Forces, and set Russia on a path to utter ruin and you actually have the balls to insinuate it's part of some calculated plan, really quite unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

It's very hush hush. But I think theu called it off before it became a mass casualty event.they couldn't get enough of a foothold.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,063 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

That's what I'm thinking, trying to cross a river under artillery fire and at night, you've literally no where to hide and you can't risk calling in artillery or missles on or close to a nuclear power plant,

River assaults are difficult even in near perfect conditions ,in the middle of winter under darkness and artillery and gunfire, fair balls to them for even trying

160 ,000 men , plus tanks, armor vehicles, heavy artillery, aircraft including attack helicopters,

And you say it's too small,

Stop spoofing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,884 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

...Why do people spin stories in their head to preserve a myth of Putin the Stragetic Genius Strongman?

One type (seen on this website) seems to be people who just find democracy, the whole process and the kind of people it throws up as politicians and leaders distasteful and soiled. They are aching for the day a strong "father" like Putin the Spymaster Genius (thinking and planning 10 moves ahead) will arise to take bumbling weak woke Western countries like Ireland in hand and get things done right!

Be honest with yourself, Russia/Putin tried to conquer the whole country and f-cked up badly.

They are caught on the point of a stick now but I suppose what does it matter to Putin and co who call all the shots...to paraphrase "some of you [or many of you!] may have to die quite horribly, but that is a sacrifice I am glad to make for the glory of Russia and my legacy!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭Homelander

Unbelievably weak response and the usual muddy-water nonsense.

The entire point is that if RU performed as they should have based on their annual budget, weapon arsenal and military size relative to Ukraine, they would have crushed the Ukrainian military in a few days.

Destroyed their military infrastructure, destroyed their air force, destroyed land forces via overwhelmingly aerial and land superiority....which Russia should have had in the absolute extreme.

Their plan wasn't to occupy every single town, village and city. It was to deliver a hammer blow to UKR military and decapitate leadership in one swift blow.

They didn't come close to either goal, because the operation was a complete and utter logistical and operational shambles from the first day. There was no shock and awe, just throwing men and tanks into the grinder in a shambolic WW1 style tactical approach.

The reason that Ukraine was able to put up such fierce resistance was largely entire because of massive and shocking Russian incompetence. No amount of whataboutery and wordplay can change that simple fact.

Even if they never occupied a single major city, they should have been able to cripple Ukraine's conventional military in the first few days. They didn't, not even remotely close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

Thought I seen a shot of him earlier,he looks awfully grey more so than normal, definitely looks like he's rapidly aged wouldn't be at all surprised to hear he has cardiac issues again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

RIP Finbar. What a hero, he has literally died doing what we all know is the right thing to do. It might not be much of a consolation to his family right now, but he lived a life that they can be very proud of.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭GerUpOttaTa

He's been sick for a while now. We'd a poster on here last night claiming he was poisoned by a Russia agent or something because they read it on twitter 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Nah, I disagree. How do you claim that mismanagement/unprofessionalism is a fact?

Take a look at the terrain in the north of Ukraine along the axis of Russia's advance. Easy to ambush with heavy forests and a huge marsh area with limited road access, so difficult for armour to advance through without being bottled up. There wasn't enough guys and they got hit hard as a result.

The areas that they moved (with very few forces) and took over in South rapidly are very very different, much flater and easier to advance through.

This is basic basic operational level military stuff. Not opinion but internationally taught theory at staff school level all over the world.

Sounds like somebody is making excuses for Russian total failures and repeated retreats,

What staff schools are you referring to exactly

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Nah, I disagree. How do you claim that mismanagement/unprofessionalism is a fact?

Take a look at the terrain in the north of Ukraine along the axis of Russia's advance. Easy to ambush with heavy forests and a huge marsh area with limited road access, so difficult for armour to advance through without being bottled up. There wasn't enough gives and they got hit hard as a result.

These two statements seem to wildly contradict each other.

The advance to Kyiv was a) clearly not a feint and b) clearly stupid. The only way it makes sense is if they expected minimal or no resistance. Seems like a pretty colossal failure of Russian intelligence and indeed terrible mismanagement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭jmreire

With Putin, I'd say that you are only as good as your last victory......out of 10 successes, if the last one was a failure, thats it!!! Bye Bye......

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

A second Patriot battery is now inservice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

How many day's or week's of warm weather would it typically take the ground to harden? 10 days? Ukraine will wait another month if it takes it. I'd imagine they'll have to take some backward routes to avoid minefields and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I've heard from a lot of people who's ability to tie their own shoes is questionable at best that this incompetence was all part of a Putin master plan and that any day now, he'll send in the elite troops that he's been saving and they'll take over Ukraine in an instant. It's one thing to hear such ideas on the internet but I've heard them from people in real life too, even from acquaintances and it's a bit jarring. I get that people can pick up bits of info from the internet and repeat it but to not think about a piece of info and compare it to stuff that you know to see if it makes sense just seems lazy. Like this idea that Putin is perfectly happy to spend so much money, people and reputation for a year just so that he can pull off some magic trick at the end... it's just bonkers.

Although, pretending not to know why there was a column of tanks on its way to kyiv is a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Well, that rumour came from a twitter account with "news" in their name and they had a blue tick so you can't get more reliable than that.There's no way that they could have a blue tick if they weren't legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I wrote many unpopular posts here last year about this.

Along with this description, I drew this very silly map nearly 6 months ago about positions I thought Russia would fortify. I was derided as a Kremlin-bot and Orc-propagandist for suggesting that such a thing could prove troublesome for Ukraine.

The link you've quoted from Reuters has the following image of Russian defences, six months later.

I don't understand how NATO can possibly expect Ukraine to end this war.

They forbade "modern" 50 year old F16 fighters because they might escalate the conflict.

They had to be dragged kicking and screaming until they provided a tiny number of 40 year old Leopard 2's to Ukraine.

They deny the necessary ammunition to keep Ukrainian artillery guns firing to defend positions.

Another mass missle attack last night over 20 cruise missiles launched at targets in Ukraine with civilians in Unman being the main target

• Registered Users Posts: 23,665 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

All the talk is of Ukraine counter offensive but as of now Russia is the one making gains, upping the ante on widespread missile strikes and has now amassed nearly 400,000 troops in the occupied territories.

I think it's time to start seeing something from Ukraine on the battlefield soon tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭GerUpOttaTa

I've been reading about this counter offensive for months now, they've talked themselves into a bit of a corner if it doesn't push Russia out. Some good posts above explaining the lengths the Russian's have gone to build defensive positions that are going to expend an awful lot of Ukrainian lives to take. Going to be a bloody gore fest unfortunately.

When the Ukrainans are ready then they will make their move,and not on the demands of anyone,

There hasn't been widespread missle strikes, once a week or Fortnite if we're lucky,

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

lets do it now, while tanks and APC's are still getting stuck in the mud, sounds like a fantastic idea and will deffo stroke the ego

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

The missile strikes are a much rarer occurrence I’ve the last few months. Where did you get the 400k Russian troop figure from? RT? Tass?

Also, where exactly are these gains? A couple of streets in Bakhmut every 3-4 weeks doesn’t really count.

I think you’ve been eating the Kremlins propaganda soup. Careful there. It’s often poisoned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭rogber

A heroic sacrifice, there's a big difference between cheering on the fight from boards every morning noon and night and actually going over there and doing something. His family can be proud of him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement