Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

Can’t imagine any better then thurles I know people saying people didn’t travel because playing limerick . Don’t get that at all cant imagine the Waterford fans will now suddenly say right we better head to cork .

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭loves_me_county_boy

They’ll all come out of the woodwork if we do manage to get out of the round robin though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Hopefully with it being a bank holiday we'll have a few more travelling. It couldn't be worse than last Sunday anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

I've a free ticket if anyone wants it. At a stag and won't make it back in time. First come first served

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Considering we don’t have a home venue this year, it’s hard to ask people to travel in their droves for every game. I’d hate to think what it would cost a family of 4 to go to all 4 games between tickets, fuel, parking, food etc. Couple that with our league form being patchy at best following a dismal championship last year, unfortunately people hadn’t a lot of faith going in against the AI champs, that’s just how it was.

I think we’ll see a better turnout on Sunday and people will travel with a bit more anticipation than hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,547 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Tom Barron in for tdb only change to named team. DJ foran on bench

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Surprised Aussie is not starting, brilliant option to come off the bench

While not officially we could be out of the championship by 6pm on Sunday the 30th of bloody April if we don't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Cork lost the first two games last year and got out of Munster, no?

----

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

So… not officially out, but out you say.. despite the fact we will still be able to qualify & only last year this in fact happened.

Interesting!

• Advertisement

Id hand it too Cork beating us in Walsh Park last year but they had a soft enough last game against a Tipp side who were out

Contrast it to Waterford this year who have to face a Clare and Tipp teams who are out to put Davy back in there box in the last 2 games. Really hope im wrong (if it comes too it) After the way were after collapsing in this round robin format in previous years in 'must win' situations it hard too see us coming out the right side of it if we lose against Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Makes zero sense to me. Why would you not play your best player from the start

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

What do people make if the cork line up for Sunday. Some very familiar names there….. they are starting ‘hoggy’…..the ‘hitman’ Cahalane, Lehane, Harnedy……difficult game playing in their back yard but they are owed one big time after the Walsh park game last year

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭skaface

He's obviously not match fit yet, probably hoping to get a good half hour off him in the second half when the game, hopefully will be there to be won

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Simply can’t allow them to bully us like last year. We need to do to them what they did to us, get in their faces from the off and don’t give them a moments peace. Need a huge game from whoever of Lyons, Conor Gleeson, Fagan, Tom Barron will be picking up Harnedy as he did untold damage 12 months ago.

Yeah. Lot of bullying went on last year and was a real sickner to go down at home to them having demolished them in the league final……not that familiar with some of the newer cork players are some from last years u20’s….? Either way there would be nothing sweeter than putting one over on them in their ‘fortress’…😀

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Limerick 1-18 Waterford 0-19

Fair dues to the Waterford hurlers for restoring the team’s pride and prestige last Sunday. Nonetheless, the hard-headed fact is that they passed up a gilt-edged opportunity to finally take Limerick down.

What was remarkable about the game was the variety of ways in which Waterford managed not to win the game. Let us start with the wides – 13 in all compared with just five for Limerick, two of which were struck from way out the field in the very last minute of added time when they were more concerned than anything else with getting the ball as far away from their own goal as possible. Of these 13 wides I would classify six of them as “bad” and two as “terrible” (both of the latter coming, uncharacteristically, from the stick of Dessie Hutchinson).

I have for years been calling here for the players to be coached on how to handle the wind when shooting for scores, before the game starts and at half-time. Last Sunday the wind was blowing across the pitch from the north (Ryan) stand, producing a tendency for shots at the country goal to go to the left of the posts and at the town goal to go to the right. In the first half, when Waterford were playing into the country goal, three of the four wides went to the left, and in the second half seven of the nine wides went to the right. That gives nine out of thirteen wides which failed to adjust adequately (or at all) for the wind (allowing for Patrick Fitzgerald’s late volley from close in which went on the wrong side of the post).

However, not all of Waterford’s missed chances were wides. There was Stephen Bennett’s missed close-in free in the 58th minute which was blocked, which Bennett then exacerbated with his late tackle on Diarmuid Byrne which gave Limerick a converted free well inside the Waterford half of the field – a two-point swing which was the difference between the teams at the end. There was another two-point swing in the 40th minute when Bennett was taking a free from just inside the Waterford half which was well inside his compass. However, instead of going for the point, he elected to send a crossfield ball to Dessie Hutchinson whose attempted pass inside was cut out by Limerick and worked up the field leading to another converted Limerick free.

Then, of course, there was Austin Gleeson’s kicked point which was cancelled due to Tom Barron’s rash challenge on the Limerick goalkeeper.

Next there were the Limerick scores which came directly from Waterford errors. Not for the first time when a Waterford team was under Davy Fitzgerald’s management, Waterford were poorly prepared mentally going into this game, as demonstrated in a litany of errors in the first 20 minutes (fumbles, running into trouble, misplaced passes, mishits). I counted twelve of these in this period, which led to no less than five Limerick points. This is not counting the concession of stupid frees, which yielded a further three points for Limerick.

Then there was the series of long balls sent into the Limerick goal area in the second half after Limerick had withdrawn their entire team outside the Waterford 45 metre line. While these did yield a couple of chances (Austin Gleeson’s kicked point and the close free which Stephen Bennett missed), it might have made more sense to work players into good positions to shoot for points from out the field, along the lines of Conor Gleeson’s excellent point in the 69th minute. I am reminded here of the way the Davy-managed Wexford team inexplicably abandoned the game plan which had given them what looked like a winning lead against Tipperary in the 2019 All-Ireland semi-final. Instead, they started sending high balls into the Tipperary goal area which provided Tipp with the means to rescue the game and go on to win a handy All-Ireland against a mediocre Kilkenny team.

On top of all this there was the inept performance of referee Liam Gordon and his umpires which bore down particularly heavily on Waterford. While I may be biased, I counted eleven cases of errors by Gordon which went against Waterford (either fouls on Waterford players which went unpunished or frees which were unjustifiably given against Waterford players). These included Aaron Gillane being in the square for the incident leading to the Limerick penalty; Kyle Hayes pulling both ways in the Limerick square after Jack Prendergast’s shot for goal had been stopped; Seamus Flanagan pulling Mark Fitzgerald down and getting a free for it; and Flanagan’s shoulder to Stephen Bennett’s head which the referee missed although I winced when I witnessed it from high up in the stand. Then just before the incident which led to Gearóid Hegarty getting his second yellow (which should have been a straight red) there was Barry Nash’s follow-through head contact to Jack Fagan which should have yielded a second yellow card for Nash but was not even penalised by the referee.

There was also an incident in the eighth minute when Aaron Gillane was not only standing almost on the goal line when a high ball came in, but pulled very carelessly striking Billy Nolan in the face, for which Nolan had to receive treatment. This was possibly a red card offence itself, but the referee gave no free for either the dangerous pull or the square ball. The Irish Times had a great photo of this incident which is reproduced here.

A person beside me in the stand commented after the game that Waterford had played a lot better after Tadhg de Búrca went off. This is definitely true, but it is hard to tell whether there was a link between the two. Perhaps the Waterford players were galvanised by the sight of de Búrca departing and raised their game as a result. It could also be that Waterford did better while playing without an out-and-out sweeper.

It is also a possibility that Limerick’s performance suffered from the departure of Declan Hannon in the 15th minute. Hannon is a crucial link in the normal Limerick plan of working the ball out from the back to create space in the midfield area from where players can shoot for a point or play good ball to the inside line. It was noticeable last Sunday that Limerick relied heavily on short puckouts the the full backs who then almost invariably sent low-trajectory ball to their half forwards. A key factor in Waterford gaining the upper hand was the ability of the half backs to prevent Cian Lynch and Gearóid Hegarty in particular from getting clean possession from these balls, with Jamie Barron also doing great work in sweeping up breaking ball in this area.

The exception, unfortunately, was Tom Morrissey, Morrissey is having a great year, and last Sunday he did more damage to Waterford than anyone else. He repeatedly received outballs from the Limerick full backs unchallenged, and also picked up ball, unmarked, all over the field. Davy Fitzgerald’s failure to address this problem is a major blot in his copybook. I kept asking myself during the game who was supposed to be marking Morrissey. Apparently it was supposed to be Darragh Lyons, but he certainly fell down big-time on the job. I am normally a fan of Lyons, but he had a poor day here, including numerous errors when he did get on the ball, and I was very surprised that Cárthach Daly was not brought on in his place.

An indication of how well Waterford did after they got to grips with the game is that, after falling eight points behind in the 21st minute, they outscored Limerick by 16 points to ten in the remainder of the game, despite all the missed chances. In total they had 38 shots on goal to Limerick’s 32, but were undermined by a 50% scoring return, to Limerick’s 59%. It is unknown these days for Limerick to get off fewer shots than the opposition, with their shot count normally in the 40s or more. This is a good indication of how well Waterford did in curbing the Shannonsiders on the day. Unfortunately, they failed on the other side of the account i.e. getting scores from their own possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Detailed review as ever with some very pertinent points. Great picture from the Irish times - shows how close (or not) that Gillane was to the ball and how the umpires and referees yet again missed it!!! . If you look at the picture closely you can see the umpire on the far side is looking straight at the incident and the nearside umpire can surely be no more than three feet away - a bit outside his distance i suppose.

Have to say the more i have reflected on and watched the game the more frustrated i have become with how this game was left behind. I just hope that the team can reflect and realise that they are a match for anyone once they hurl to their strengths. - we really do owe the Rebels one after last year - really hope we can deliver on the day and kick start our campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Another pathetic underage performance this evening. In 5 years we will be where offaly and wexford are now.

Think you are over reacting. Awful to lose all matches but I doubt it is the first time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,547 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Losing 8 minor and u20/u21 championship matches in one season is definitely a first

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Wouldnt read too much into tonight. We were already out and Tipp had something to play for. Not forgetting we didn’t have the lads on the senior panel (3 x Fitzgeralds) for the majority of the campaign. We’ll never have the strength and depth to be without players of that calibre at any grade

Id be more worried about our minors performance who were well off the pace this year. Can’t blame lack of quality on the sideline either with Joxer in charge one of the best around

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

You’re correct only 2 on the senior panel. Josh Fitzgerald also missed the last 2 games, but through injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DLS2THECORE

Anyone have 2 spare stand tickets by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭loves_me_county_boy

Best place to park for tomorrow? City centre I’m guessing

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

If the Rockies are running a car park that's the best option.

Up past mahon point, hang a left and then a right onto church road and the club is on the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

That result this evening just makes our loss last week all the more painful. Stating the obvious but tomorrow is absolutely must win.

• Advertisement

Definitely

Limerick have the 3 week break now and a loss for us is not pretty

Look at Leinster, Wexford and Dublin have a win on the board after 2 games in which they could use 'squad players'. No chance you can risk that in Munster

Advertisement