Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reflection on the pandemic: questions about the authorities' response.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭hometruths

No idea where you got 4.2% from. The Home Office survey I referred to put the figure at 10.8% for civil servants compared to 3.3 for the general population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It was in the Yahoo News article you linked yesterday and posted this exact paragraph from it:

"People working in social care reported the highest prevalence of long Covid among employment groups (5.3%), followed by health care employees (4.4%) and civil servants and local government staff (4.2%)."

It lumped together all civil servants and local gov staff but my general points apply to that grouping also.

The composition of the groups need to be looked at for factors likely to be significant such as working through lockdowns, interaction with the public, age breakdown, disabilities.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Really? But it did distinguish between the two.

Yet you say it "lumped together all civil servants and local gov staff" and that's the basis for your claim "the civil service percentage was 4.2 percent."

Again, to borrow a phrase (or two), the article \ study cannot and does not show that, and presenting that as a finding of the article \ study is misrepresentation.

To be clear - that is your own interpretation you have attached to the results. The data as gathered cannot be used to declare that as a statement of fact.

No you are the one who is not comparing like with like because you are repeating the same miscomparison as the Daily Telegraph article.

The figure you have quoted for civil servants alone appears to be from an internal civil service survey. Not an ONS one. It cites two different figures for civil service of 10.8% long covid versus 7.4% long covid affecting their day to day lives.

The figure of 3.3% for the general population is from the ONS survey and that is the one the Yahoo News article covers.

Two entirely different surveys.

Given that the ONS survey actually provides a figure of 4.2% for "civil servants and local government employees" it is clear that is the relevant figure that should be compared to the general population figure of 3.3%. Which is why I used it.

And the most plausible reason why there was such a difference of 10.8% versus 3.3% is... it is not valid to compare the figures across surveys.

So the basis for your entire line of argument about civil servants having "double the risk" is very dubious.

I would add it appears that the Daily Telegraph, aware of the ONS survey, made a deliberate decision to not reference its figure for civil servants / local government employees but still used its figure for the general population. In my view that was deliberately done to create deceptive figures for comparison. They have an agenda.

There is a significant difference between the roles in the civil service versus the roles of local government employees, and thus job security and conditions.

A quick comparison of UK Civil Service jobs versus UK Local government jobs illustrates this immediately.

You claimed the "civil service percentage was 4.2 percent".

That is a total misrepresentation. Whether by accident or design is irrelevant, given your fondness for patrolling this thread and others to issue accusations of misrepresentation.

The Cabinet Office who carried out the civil service survey, found a figure of 10.8% specifically for civil servants. Are you really trying to suggest that the Cabinet Office got their figures wrong?

And are you really trying to claim that you believe is no difference between the likeliness of reporting illness to employers between those with secure employment and generous paid sick leave entitlements versus those with less secure employment and lower sick pay rights?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,153 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Having had the misrepresentation of data from 2 different surveys in the article by the Telegraph, clearly shown by a poster who has access to both of those links (remember I said I could not comment on its detail because it was behind a paywall?) are you still trying to argue your case with this same data, without at the very least accepting that what I and Odyssey have said about that paper's agenda being true?

I don't think you can call others out on anything until you yourself show a bit of integrity in the discussion now, can you?

Yes I remember you said you could not comment on it because it was behind a paywall.

And in response I provided you with a link with the paywall removed so you could read the entire article.

Here it is again: https://archive.is/P462G

Are you prepared to read the article and then tell me what I have misrepresented?

The misrepresentation is in the Daily Telegraph article which presents figures from two entirely different surveys as directly comparable. You repeat their misleading comparison here.

The civil service figure is NOT from the same source as the figure for the general population (ONS).

This misleading comparison is all the more glaring given the ONS survey includes a breakdown by occupation groups.

It seems plausible this was done by the Telegraph for agenda reasons as they seek to downplay covid and/or take a dig at the (cliched Guardian reading) civil service and speaks to their lack of journalistic integrity.

Are the Cabinet Office a competent authority to measure the Long Covid rate of incidence in the Civil Service, the body of employees they are directly responsible for?

And is the Office of National Statistics a competent authority to measure the incidence of Long Covid in the general population?

I'd agree that it is not surprising to see this comparison made in the Telegraph rather than the Guardian, but any agenda the Telegraph has does not render either the Cabinet Office or the ONS incompetent.

Point of order: Nowhere did I write anything directly or indirectly questioning their competence. So I have no idea why these questions appear to be directed at me.

Nowhere did I question their competence merely the alignment / compatibility of the separate surveys they conducted. 

I would certainly question the competence and integrity of the Daily Telegraph journalist to make comparisons from data collected in different surveys conducted by different bodies and to draw conclusions from thst.

Finally if thats how you want to describe them, then the surveys by these 'competent' bodies show long covid having a real impact on quality of life and health in people of all ages. Different surveys conducted under a different basis may come to different figures but that impact is manifest.

Which is the main point I have been making in terms of long covid and how the pandemic was responded to. The impact of covid infections is not just in the short term of the active infection.

These surveys reinforce that so they are good additions to the discussion when taken on their own merits.

Together with the other studies cited they give the lie to the sneers and sarcastic jibes in media and social media directed at long covid and by extension those suffering its debilitating and ddisabling effects.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

• Advertisement

You agree that the Cabinet Office is competent to provide an accurate figure of the prevalence of Long Covid in the Civil service.

And you agree that the ONS is competent to provide an accurate figure of the prevalence of Long Covid in the general population.

So despite the fact there is no dispute about these figures being accurate, it's not acceptable to use them to compare the prevalence in the Civil service compared to the general population?!

Out of interest if you wanted to compare absenteeism between teachers and nurses would it be acceptable to compare figures for teachers provided by Dept of Education with figures for nurses provided by the HSE?

You should probably ask the ONS to explain the data to you as it is obvious you won't accept any answer from me. The figure for any survey is only as accurate as the constraints of the survey itself, and how it is conducted and based on what data set.

You could start by asking the ONS if they think it is reasonable to compare across two different surveys - an internal one for an organisation, and one of the general population. Again, the ONS survey was not run on the same basis as the civil servant one (an internal one run for their own employees) so your comparison with teaches is misleading.

You could also ask ONS to explain: 

If the Long Covid % for civil servants alone is approx 10%;

And in their study the occupation group of "civil servants and local government employees" was at 4.2%;

What is the Long Covid % for local government employees? 

And if this figure is mathematically possible?

They are the Office of National Statistics. I'm sure they get queries like this all the time on their statistics.

Or you could come back to us when you've done the maths yourself and realised how misleading it was for the Daily Telegraph to side by side compare figures from two surveys run on a different basis.

Have you considered the presumably unintended consequences of insisting that two surveys cannot be compared?

The incidence rate of long covid in the civil service as reported by the Cabinet Office is 10.8%.

Thus the incidence rate is significantly higher in the civil service than in the general population.

That statement is now irrefutable, (assuming you accept the Cabinet Office's figures to be accurate).

And that is my point. What is different about civil servants that makes them significantly more susceptible to long covid?

What's the Cabinet Office figure for the general population?

Without that, you are fundamentally not in a position to say that it is significantly higher in the civil service than in the general population. So yes, it is refuted.

The two surveys cannot be directly compared - unless you got that answer from the ONS?

The surveys were run on different basis, on different dates and may have involved different phrasings in questions and other differences which could confound direct comparison of results.

The ONS survey which has a figure both for the general population and for an occupation group including civil servants does not show a significantly higher figure.

So you think the Cabinet Office figures for the civil service are correct at 10.8%.

Yet you disagree that this is a significantly higher rate than for the general population.

Thus you must believe that the long covid incidence rate in the general population is close to 10%.

I have no idea why you would believe this, what you have been seeing or reading to think that 10% of the population is walking around with long covid.

It's pointless asking you to explain why you believe it, since you cannot cite any data or anecdotal information to support your belief.

And in any event it doesn't matter. As I've mentioned numerous times, I'm not trying to change your beliefs - I am simply explaining what I believe to be plausible. I don't care what you believe.

It's ok to agree to disagree.

All that I have been arguing is that it is not valid to directly compare two different surveys, all the more so when the ONS survey includes a figure for civil servants in an occupation group.

You are the one citing exact percentages for long covid not me -> so I have no idea why you are addressing these questions to me given you seem to want an answer to this civil service question, but won't accept any input to it from anyone else on the thread. Myself and goldengirl suggested several plausible (to us) reasons such as demographics, and composition of the civil service to explain why they might have a higher incidence than the general population as per the ONS survey. I suggest the ONS if you want to dig deeper into the figures.

I have no reason to doubt the accuracy of the figures, within the margin of error \ inherent constraints of the surveys and the context of the exact questions asked and population surveyed.

As for who else - this is the World Health Organisation:

The WHO estimates that 10% to 20% of survivors have been left with mid- and long-term symptoms such as fatigue, breathlessness and cognitive dysfunction. Women are more likely to suffer from the condition.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/oct/12/long-covid-who-tedros-adhanom-ghebreyesus

Again, I'll point out I have no need for an answer to this civil service question. I am simply stating what I believe and why.

This started when you asked me whether or not I agreed with another poster. And you've been badgering me about it ever since.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

@hometruths and @odyssey06 - just drop it and move on

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Indeed and there's a bombshell lurking further down that DT article: the BMJ had the downright cheek to indicate "that most symptoms of long Covid disappeared within a year and that mild disease was unlikely to lead to serious or long-term problems". As soon as hometruths has finished straightening out the ONS they're going to have to clear up this rubbish from the BMJ too :-) 

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

facehugger99 threadbanned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭walus

The verdict on covid restrictions is out:

The findings in summary:

• COVID-19 lockdowns were “a global policy failure of gigantic proportions,”. The draconian policy failed to significantly reduce deaths while imposing substantial social, cultural, and economic costs.
    • Voluntary changes in behaviour, such as social distancing, played a significant role in mitigating the pandemic – but harsher restrictions, like stay-at-home rules and school closures, generated very high costs but produced only negligible health benefits.
    • lockdowns, in the spring of 2020, reduced mortality by 3.2 per cent when compared to less strict lockdown policies adopted by the likes of Sweden.
    • the Imperial College of London’s modelling exercises (March 2020), predicted that lockdowns would save over 400,000 lives in the United Kingdom and over 2 million lives in the United States. In reality lockdowns prevented 1,700 deaths in England and Wales, 6,000 deaths across Europe, and 4,000 deaths in the United States.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

The terminology is all over the place here.

The verdict on lockdowns or restrictions? Totally unclear. What figures relate to each?

Is this a lockdown or a restriction?

• Mask mandates, which most countries avoided in Spring 2020, reduced mortality by 18.7 per cent, particularly mandates in workplaces; and
    • School closures resulted in a between 2.5 per cent and 6.2 per cent mortality reduction.
    • Business closures reduced mortality by 7.5 per cent;

And more:

Based on specific NPIs, we estimate that the average lockdown in Europe and the United States in the spring of 2020 reduced COVID-19 mortality by 10.7 per cent.

How is that a negligible effect?

And why is this being published by an Economic think tank?

In November 2022, the funding transparency website Who Funds You? rated the Institute as E, the lowest transparency rating (rating goes from A to E).

Ah now we see... none of these are experts in public health.

The researchers were economists not epidemiologists or public health experts... On reading the paper, Adam Kucharski, professor of infectious disease epidemiology at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, spoke of “half-baked methods”.

At the time, Dr Joshua Sharfstein, vice dean of the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, distanced the school from the work, saying it was not a peer-reviewed scientific study and that “serious questions” had been raised about its methodology. He also corrected a potential misunderstanding: the study did not compare lockdowns with doing nothing.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/jun/05/revised-report-on-impact-of-covid-lockdowns-leaves-unanswered-questions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Not sure what to make of this. The IEA is a bit dogmatic for my liking so skeptical of the view that lockdowns were completely useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭political analyst

Presumably, the doctor you're referring to assumed that those of his patients who are elderly would 'cocoon' so that they could safely rejoin the outside world when everyone else had got Covid and recovered from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,153 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Jayse what are you talking about PA ?

Posted that 2 months ago !

Not replying now .

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I see the UK Covid inquiry continues at pace. Interesting that the UK is so keen to review and analyse its performance while Ireland has no interest whatsoever in learning from its mistakes.

Of course we all know the real reason the government want to pretend it never happened, its because they don't want to have to face up to the damage they did. Imagine how inconvenient it would be to their narrative if a medical officer said anything like this:

In her evidence, Dame Sally also expressed concern about the impact of the lockdowns on children and students.

"We have damaged a generation, and it is awful... watching these people struggle," she said.

They were told at the time that they were destroying the lives of children, god forbid they get reminded of that pesky fact now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,558 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The focus of any inquiry will be on the restrictions and the severity of the restrictions.

Most of us accept many of the restrictions were cruel and unnecessary. Locking away older people in nursing homes and keeping special needs children out of school are the first two things that come to mind.

I don't think anyone unless you're completely heartless agree that that those restrictions were correct.

You have taken her statements out of context.

You left out where she also said:

"I still think we should have locked down, although a week earlier. But during that we should have thought do we need to further?”

Also, covid and long covid can damage and destroy children's lives. That's another pesky fact you left out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭PommieBast

The real problem was the Irish state going into whole-sale shutdown rather than making any sort of effort to keep things ticking over. At least the British understood that people need to get on with their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,558 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

What research or evidence have you got on covid destroying children's lives? Have you figures on how many children have long covid?

Advertisement