Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Citizens and families to be evacuated from Djibouti and Sudan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,037 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Not for anyone of that vintage.

The point is calling another country dangerous and questioning why people go there to work or visit family etc, is a bit ironic considering Ireland's history in people current lifetime of civil unrest and terrorism. Many wouldn't have solely lived in Ireland either they would have lived between UK and Ireland and NI. Irish Diaspora are found all around the world because they did the same thing traveled elsewhere seeking opportunity.

So rescuing people in Sudan doesn't seem an unreasonable thing to be involved in, or collaborating with other countries to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

I agree, and has been mentioned already, many remaining citizens there are aid workers, who, in their very nature, don't just get up and go at the first sign of trouble..

Ireland should be very much involved, it's just a sham we have to rely on other nations support to facilitate it.

Those other countries (even UK and US) are all using other nations support their airlifts. Because they can do that journey in one hop.

The Ministry of Defence said RAF transport planes were on their way to the Wadi Seidna airfield, north of Khartoum. The operation would involve A400M Atlas planes, with a passenger capacity of up to 200, and C130 Hercules, with a capacity of about 120, an official said.

Any airlift would be limited by the size of the airfield, which the UK said on Monday could carry only two Atlas-size planes at a time. It is likely to be shared with countries other than the UK while the ceasefire agreed holds.

The British government is preparing to take advantage of a 72-hour ceasefire agreed by the warring factions in Sudan to evacuate UK nationals from the country, following intense criticism that it had missed a window of opportunity to evacuate more than only British diplomats and their families on Sunday.

Military flights open to British passport-holders would depart from an airfield outside the Sudanese capital, Khartoum, the Foreign Office said. Priority would be given to family groups with children, the elderly and individuals with medical conditions.

The Foreign Office told citizens not to travel to the airfield unless they were contacted, as it warned the situation remained “volatile” and that the ability to carry out evacuations could change at short notice.

With a ceasefire I expect they hope to open the main airport for larger wide body aircraft. At least for a few flights. But it wouldn't be a secure location even then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

That RAF plane back in the air already. Didn’t take long to load up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Japanese military plane in Djibouti and looks like a large UN plane enroute there too.

Sorry if I’m boring anyone with these updates. I find following military planes on flightradar weirdly fascinating 😂

Edit: The UN airbus is going to Yemen.

• Advertisement

I'm interested anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Foreign Policy Magazine blames the conflict on failed US policy.

US tireless efforts for decades to "promote democracy" - strangely with the largest CIA facility in the Middle East/Africa area.

https://archive.is/B9ttg

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

He has a point,

Neutral no we just don't do defense or anything militarily

A country is imploding and Ireland's take is it's too expensive to get people out and why don't we have our own planes.

Since independence 1956, (67yrs) Sudan has multiple internal military coups led by either left or right. Most recently a  military dictatorship with reports of human rights abuses, torture, persecution of minorities, allegations of sponsoring global terrorism, and ethnic genocide.

To say the US caused the current conflict is misleading. In a region with a long history of internal instability and factional violence, conflict is the default situation.

• Advertisement

We talking about Irish nationals and passport holders ,

I don't think anyone really doesn't care for whats happening in Sudan, give it a week and it will be announced we are taking in unlimited refugees from Sudan while having zero ability to get our citizens out

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭GerUpOttaTa

Looks like the whole country is going to ****. Certainly need to get ours out asap. Can't we send the government jet at the very least you'd get 20 or so on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I don’t know what people are expecting. We are a small country.

There is a lesson here for anyone thinking about going to unstable regions. Charities have a history of abandoning their volunteers, they don’t pay ransoms as they would be a bigger target. You are always responsible for your own safety.

For me the biggest issue were not rescuing 150 citizens of Ireland, were rescuing 150 people and their extended families which could anything to to a citizen plus 10 members of their extended families, so now we go from 150 to a potential 1500 people who will need to be brought here all will likely need accomodations and long term financial supports ,when we are already at breaking point for emergency accomodations and people still arriving not from Sudan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Yes, also that multiple hijackers were CIA assets.

Some of the stories above their families and extended families are in Ireland. They are only working in Sudan. Don't take the bait of false narratives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Striking up relations with all the right places I see. Some may say it’s a question of taste sure; I do exotic myself myself but they ensure to remain a lot more far removed from such places despite being geographically closer.

-not particularly interesting times ahead, in our media and current affairs I’ll tune out as ever more pressing peoples to engage with. Good luck down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Anyone know the background story to the Mullingar mother & daughter I think, who were attending a family wedding when hostilities erupted. Didn't catch their names, Irish passport holders but sounded like names from that part of the world. Be interesting to know if they were originally asylum seekers to here fleeing persecution and granted citizenship on this basis. On the morning news today on RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Luxembourg is a much smaller country than us, but they have an Airbus A400M strategic military airlifter...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No the reports were ~150 people altogether, including Irish passport holders and their dependants so you can call off the baying mob.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

150 + their dependants and extended families, we've already seen a Dr refusing a flight unless his parents can come too , other reports that alot of families in Sudan can equate to 10 + people living in a single house,so 150 can multiply several times over fairly quickly,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Are there any real irish people in sudan? Some sound like they have very tenous links at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Not entirely accurate.

They share some aircraft in a partnership with Belgium and the Netherlands, including an A400M. And Luxembourg are in NATO.

Just the sort of partnership that Micheál Martin suggested in recent days that he wants to sign Ireland up for, to help solve our airlift deficiency.

It's one single aircraft,

We need more than one dedicated aircraft, we have to be able to transport men and vehicles in one go ,as well as evacuating Irish citizens from hotspots, Luxembourg has a military Smaller than ours , they barely have 800 soldiers,

• Registered Users Posts: 40,415 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

their A400 is their one and only fixed wing aircraft... owned wholly by Luxembourg armed forces...

the agreement you mention is still in place, along with agreements with NATO which sees all E-3 AWACS registered in Luxembourg (not sure why, it's a similar arrangement to the NATO C-17's being registered in Hungary).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I am a little confused why the Sudan story is headline news most mornings in our media. I don't remember having strong links with Sudan.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

Advertisement