Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BYD Atto3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Western companies have more expensive overheads. Like wages, staff welfare , health and safety, environmental protection etc.

there’s a reason why things coming from China are cheaper

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Stevie2001

Can you blame them? They had a nice profitable business model before

Now they are building things nobody asked for and governments are forcing us into them by banning ICE over nonsense emissions, which they make tighter every year and newsflash affordable EV's are not possible, not for EV's you'd like to drive anyway like 500km range, 40 min full charge.

Replacing a petrol tank that can do 500km and engine costs about 15-20k on it's own, the cost to make an EV is crazy, 70kWh battery, inverter, controller, high performance electric motor, dc charger, charge port etc ain't cheap and for somewhere like Ireland getting our forests back would be much environmentally

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

40k is the top point for the high spec model for these Chinese cars.

The other established brands have their bog standard entry level cars only starting in the 40s and they can quickly run into the 50-70k mark if you want similar high spec models.

MG came in with the 35-40k SUV, but then quickly followed it up with the 30k MG4.

If BYD release the Dolphin here it will be similar money.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

hmm... I'm going on what Gumbo said, which is that its €37k+€2k so as good as €40k OTR for the entry level model.

An ID.3 entry level is also in or around that price.... give or take a few thousand.

So, the Atto3 is cheaper and it might have a few other bits of spec that make it more appealing to an individual but its swings and roundabouts really as the ID.3 has things the entry level Atto3 doesn't have (3-phase AC, faster DC charging etc) so its a bit of a muchness really and since there is only a few €k between them its not going to shake up the market that much.... its just another competitor.

I think people were thinking that when "the Chinese" got here with their BEV's they would be alot cheaper.... that's clearly not the case.

They will provide more choice and more competition and that's a good thing.

• Advertisement

The thing is, for example. The €40k M3 (base spec) is as good or better spec than the top spec Atto3.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭LasersGoPewPew

I had a sit inside Atto design today. Spec is very good. Overall I was impressed with look and feel of the interior. The seats are better than the MG4, not much lumbar support though. It's undoubtedly worth the small premium over a MG4 exclusive for all the extra spec and the brighter interior. Rear passenger space is decent.

One thing that would annoy me is the sunroof glass shade closes when the car is off, the salesman said this was to reduce the heat on hot days. No frunk. The infotainment screen was fairly responsive but nowhere near as good as tesla. Sound system is decent when you turn on the 3D sound option. There's no preheating option for fast charging.

The air conditioning system is the noisiest I have ever come across. Anything above level 2 causes a strange whirring noise from the dumbell inspired vents - I don't understand how it passed quality control.

Battery warranty is 8 years or 200k kilometres. Electric motor warranty is 6 years which doesn't inspire much confidence for secondhand buyers, it should be the same as the battery warranty at least.

They have no trade plate atm so couldn't test drive. I'll give it a go next week just for the experience.

Would I buy one over a Model 3? No, but I understand why someone would buy one due to the ride height and it being a hatch.

ID3 is more in line with the MG4 or BYD Dolphin. Looking at the VW website they say ID3 starts at 41K and goes up. The MG4 starts at 27K and tops out at 35K it is arguably a nicer and better spec'd car too.

The Atto is more in the Model Y / ID4 bracket size-wise. And you aren't sitting into one of those for under 46K.

Now if I had 50K burning a hole in my pocket I'd be in a Model Y. But if you only have a max of 40K then the arrival of BYD and MG does mean you can get a mid sized suv/ long range EV for your 40K. You couldn't with the others.

True but the argument is that they aren't shaking up the market coming here with their sub 40k EVs. But I'd make the case that having more sub 40K options helped convince Elon to drop the price of the Model 3 to 40K.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Looking at BYD's sales figures for the last 5 years.

EV sales up 1000% since 2020 (Less than 200,000 to near 2,000,000) and in 2020 half it's sales were Non-EV's now it's basically 0

How can it transition and scale up so fast?

BYD, like Huawei and Tik Tok must be an arm of the Chinese government.

If you want a cheap car and don't care what might happen great, personally I'd avoid.

• Advertisement

Fair point. I thought it was smaller than it actually is. Comparing the dimensions its a little smaller/shorter than the ID.4 and obviously bigger than the ID.3 so it sits between the two but obviously competing with the ID.4 and Model Y, as you said.

So, the price gap is ~€6k then. The ID.4 and Model Y charge ALOT quicker (AC and DC) and have significantly more range. Two rather important things for an EV.

I suppose some will still jump at the Atto3 simply because of the €6k and not care (or maybe realise) about the negatives. I wont knock it, we need more competition to start driving prices down.

They have been making EV batteries for years. So the one company making the car and the battery means they can pump them out very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Same as Tesla I suppose, Not sure Tesla ever managed such a jump though in such a short space of time. Rapid market expansion out of no where looks very similar to Tik Tok and Huawei to me, which are arms of Chinese government at this stage.

Again if you live in the moment and don't care about politics to much and want a cheap car, knock yourself out, I'm sure it's a great car.

<<mod: snip>>

Post edited by liamog on

They started making batteries in 1995 and cars in 2003 so not like they appeared out of nowhere. A 20 year overnight success. Warren Buffets company owns a 10% share of BYD so I'd assume that helps to take on a more global market reach. They are on track to be the biggest EV car manufacturer in 2023.

One of the things I like is their blade battery technology doesn't use cobalt so that offsets some of the human misery involved in building EVs.

Their blade battery is also less prone to combustion from penetrations with a lower burn temp than any other EV battery.

warren Buffet isa big investor and when BYD give EV figures it includes. PHEV and BEV

they were responsible for me being made redundant around 2001. I was a R&D engineer designing batteries and charging circuits for Motorola but they decided to just outsource it to BYD.

I’ll never drive one 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

And yet Western companies have no problem competing with Chinese manufacturers when it comes to ICE vehicles.

The "things are cheaper to make in China" argument doesn't really stack up when it comes to EVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Atto not competing in any shape or from with the ID4 or Model Y.

MG5 and MGZS maybe - both Ford Focus-sized cabins - or Qashqai on the ICE side

To get your MG4 out on the road (now) you're over 30K for base and 37K for higher trim with RRP and unadvertised dealer extras. The value is leeching away considering you're getting quite a basic vehicle there, and one with more than a few launch issues

• Registered Users Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

they were responsible for me being made redundant around 2001. I was a R&D engineer designing batteries and charging circuits for Motorola but they decided to just outsource it to BYD.

I’ll never drive one 😂

So because of something that happened over 20 years ago you still hold a gruge against them when it was not there fault at all it was your management's fault.

Move on and grow up.

Its not good to hold gruges like that.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Atto not competing in any shape or from with the ID4 or Model Y.

I haven't been in the Atto3 so I cant make any statements on the internal space but externally its not that smaller than an ID.4. Same height, width and wheelbase, just 130mm shorter. Boot is 100l smaller.

So, from an size and shape perspective its in the same ballpark. I could see someone cross shopping the two of them.

ID.4

Atto3

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭sumo12

Ooofff let the man bear a grudge if he wants to would ya... although I think his "grudge" was a tongue in cheek one anyway...

I’m good thanks, I’ll stick to my principles.

once your on my list , it’s hard to get off. 😂😂😂, if you don’t believe me ask Belgium. They haven’t seen me since 1999 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

To those who have test driven the Atto3 how have you found it, views please.

If you're interested in a smaller car there is a byd dolphin on show in park motors, it's a corolla hatchback type,

I had hoped we were getting the built-in dash cam here but it appears not . Australia have it.

• Advertisement

The Atto3 prices are given with delivery included and 2 years service, including paint choice included in all trims.

Advertisement