Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2003 TCR Composite ONCE vs 2107 ish TCR Advanced Pro 1 - should I change?

Options
  • 23-04-2023 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Hi

Looking for thoughts from those who have experience - hopefully specifically with Giant TCR's

I have an immaculate TCR composite that I bought and built new back in 2003. I've only ever used it as a summer bike. It's equipped with 10 speed Dura Ace 7800 - also immaculate and working perfectly. The only thing that bothers me about the 7800 is the gear cables coming out the side of the Sti's - rather than hidden like the newer groupsets but that's a minor niggle.

My question is around whetehr it is worth upgrading for the newer TCR frames? I'd love to buy a brand new TCR advanced SL with the integrated seatpost but that's out of reach financially at what looks like €2900 just for the frame.

I've seen a used TCR Advanced Pro 1 (so no integrated seat post) with Ultegra 11 speed for sale nearby and was wondering whether the advancements in the TCR design between 2003 and 2017 (which is what I'm guessing is the year this one is from)

I don't really need to upgrade but was curious about advancements in frame design and stifness. I was toying with buying an open mould Chinese carnbon frame as a project - but then saw the TCR and thougt that might be a better bet. I love the TCR as a concept - my favourite bikes. Would be interested in building a weight weenie one (but still practical). Not interested in disc brakes, wide rims or wide tyres at all so those newer aspects aren't a problem.

Thoughts?

My only other niggle is that I always said to myself that buying a 2nd hand carbon frame wasn;t worth the risk - however I guess based on conditin of what you are buying that risk coudl be assessed - I know there are probably some very lightly used bikes out there.

Post edited by gn3dr on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Can't speak on the older TCR, only you know what that's like but a 17 advanced pro is a fabulous bike. All the bike you or anyone would ever need. That era adv pro was identical to the much more expensive SL AFAIK. Just the integrated seat post differentiated them. Lately they've put more distance between them to justify the higher SL price but 16,17,18 was a sweet spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Agreed. If you can find a good 17-19 tcr

The 17-19 SL frame was lighter I think along with the Advanced 0 frame

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Modern rim brake TCR is a great bike so you cant go wrong if you end up getting one.

Just make sure the geometry is the same as the one you have.

If I had the 2003 Once, I’d upgrade to a modern groupset and finishing kit and continue to ride it.

I’m similar nowadays in that I won’t ride a groupset with cables out the side of the shifters but if you’re not bothered about disc brakes, wider rims/tyres or any other modern fads, you’re as well to keep what you have in my opinion.

It would build up really light with a 6800 groupset and a set of decent shallow wheels. I ride a Trek 1500 SLR from 2005 with a modern groupset. Weapon

And it wouldn’t break the bank considering you’d have the old DA groupset to sell and offset the cost of the rebuild...

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭TooObvious

Why would you upgrade an immaculate 10 speed 7800 Dura Ace gruppo?? One of the best and most beautiful groupsets ever.,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what are the gear ratios available on the 7800? maybe they live in hilly country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've a 2017 Advanced 1 (rather than the pro) which I love. The only thing even making me think of n+1 when the btw comes around is disc brakes and di2. And I'm still on the fence as the only thing really floating my boat is another TCR (especially as the M/L sizing of Giant is an off the peg fit for me).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Di2 makes a difference and is worth the cost.

As someone said, a tcr from 2017-2019 is a very good bike with good wheels. The only issue with the SL model is the ISP which makes transporting it in a bike box very tricky (or impossible!)

Post edited by beggars_bush on

I had an advanced pro disc rented last week for a full week in Calpe, Spain. Nice bike. Fit was absolutely bang on, was not Di2 but when mechanical is that good then I don't see the cost benefit case for Di2 personally. But, when the gradient went up over 8% and beyond I found the front end heavy. Especially when you're out of the saddle and swinging the bike a bit underneath you you felt felt the extra weight of the disc brake system set up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i can see why people like Di2, but worth the cost? the price premium for Di2 on 105 on CRC at the moment is over €1,100 - the Di2 option is over three times the price of the non-Di2 disc option (they've no ultegra in stock to compare the prices on that). i've had ultegra 6800 mechanical on my dry weather bike for four or five years, and twice in that time i've had to make minor adjustments to the shifting to keep it sweet. i don't see how Di2 would add over a thousand quids' worth of functionality to that.

i've 105 on my winter bike, which was originally bought in late 2014. the issue i've had with that is that in the last year or two, in cold weather, the rear shifter can miss on the downshifts (and probably just needs a cleaning). i could replace the entire groupset for significantly less than half the price premium Di2 would cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Ah, I'm happy with mechanical ultegra at the moment, but (at the moment) there's no mechanical option at 105. But having said that I don't know many who've gone back to mechanical. I wouldn't mind the extra capacity the shimano 12 speed groups offer (not so much 12 speed per se). I have a bit of mental block about Sram, having heard too many jokes/ comments about it being known as "f*ckin Sram" amongst mechanics!

I've also been happy enough with Rim brakes on the road, but eyes were opened to the benefits in RVV...

Any, thread derailed! I do like the new propels too, but worry about comfort. And while I do race, hard to look past the all rounder nature of the TCR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Don't worry about derailing the thread. It's an interestinmg discussion anyway.

Turns out the day I went to call about the Advanced Pro 1 I was thinking about, that the guy changed his mind and took down the ads. It had been for sale for ages too and price had been dropped form €1600 to €1000 and it still didn't sell. So it seems like there isn't a great demand out there for them. That's a benefit for me though if I go looking again.

The comments about the the suggested change to Ultegra 6800 got me thinking also - what is peak mechanical gropuset or combinations of parts from different groupsets?

As mentioned above by someone else - I think the Dura Ace 7800 is a beautiful grooupset - I don't think Shimano have bettered the crankset design since 7800 was launched.

As regards gear ratios I run 12 - 25 on all my bikes with either 53/39 or 52 /39 up front. Don't need anything lower than that in Ireland anyway. I do have a spare 38 front inner which I got to use in an Etape years ago.

If I wanted to upgrade then I'd probably look first at changing just the sti's to gain hidden gear cables - but I've read online (must be ture so!) that the 7900 gear changing wasn't as good as the 7800. That would mean looking at 11 speed then - so new cassette, chain etc. No big deal but I believe the front derailleur also needs to change due to pull ratio and similar with the brakes due to a pivot point change.? All internet info though so not sure how accurate....as to what works and what doesn't work together.

My winter bike has Dura Ace 7700 which was 9 speed so when 10 speed came out I just fitted Ultegra 6600 sti's + 10 speed cassette & chain which have worked fine with it ever since.

I've never tried SRAM and the last time I ran any Campag parts were pre Sti's being invented (!!). I don't like the thumb lever the have now on their shifters.

Di2? Don't need it (no -one does really) I like the simplicity and purity of mechanical. It's painful enough keeping Garmin's etc charged.

So lets modify the questiosn for my possible future build of an N+1 - if you have a '17-'19 TCR Advanced Pro 1 - what groupset woudl you go for - or what combinations of groupsets parts and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

OP is bothered by the exposed gear cables. I’m not a fan either so I’d disagree with you for that reason.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If I was going electronic I'd be going sram. Wireless, you can swap batteries from the front to the rear, any sram I've had has been flawless.

With all that said, the 2nd edition of 10 speed SRAM red was so **** good Id be torn between it and an electronic groupset if offered one or the other.

I think I can be confident my mechanical groupset will still work in 20 years if looked after. Can't say same for electronic

A TCR is a no nonsense race bike. So it should have a no nonsense groupset.

Ultegra R8000 mechanical or gtfo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

It can be tight. I'm on a large frame and I can just about get it in this box with a 53 chainring. I reckon next time I will remove the chainring.

Advertisement