Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

There's no doubt that our absences are massive. I think we'll lose this now. These injuries really have fcuked us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Shehal

I still cant get over the sudden optimism for Toulouse, yes Leinster have injuries but it still wont be enough for Toulouse to come close in the end. I still see this as a 10-15 point game for Leinster.

Toulouse are a great side. If Dupont was out I'd feel a lot better. Dupont is to them what Sexton is to us.

Ngati is coming in cold. There's no advantage in that. It's not ideal and I'd say Frawley is the better option. Toulouse are a counter attacking side too, they could slice us up from anywhere. Will our defense be capable with no Henshaw Anda lad who hasn't played in months thrown in the deep end?

We won't win this by a lot, if we do win. I can't believe Henshaw is out. Wtf? Hopefully, VDF is firing on all cylinders. Fingers crossed.

They are a great side, but Leinster are an even greater side. Add in home advantage and 10-15 points is an accurate indication between the two.

The reality is for all the meltdown online about the selection the odds have barely shifted which indicates this is just people's anxiety about the fixture speaking and not the facts. How many times have Leinster had losses and it's barely affected them, Leinster consistently deal with losses seamlessly and yet we still fret about a few players being out.

This is the kind of game people think will be different and be closer than before because they are worried about injuries but at the end of the day it will be just as big a win as before.

• Advertisement

Optimistically I think we win narrowly, probably late on, with the result very much in the 'could have gone either way' mould.

Then we beat La Rochelle comfortably enough in the final.

Then we lose to Munster in the semi-final of the URC gloriously reigniting the hate-fcuking of old.

Then we win the World cup.

And this time next year I'll be a millionaire.

Heard it here first folks.

I'm confident because I don't let emotions get in the way of facts. It wont easy and if Leinster are off it they could get beat but the reality is Toulouse havent been amazing this year and they too have their injury concerns. Ive seen Leinster in this situation too many times and seen them come out the other side far, far more often than not to the point that ive just stopped worrying as its a waste of my time. The reality is the 23 they've picked is still more than good enough to win and if they dont it will be because they didnt play well enough more than the losses they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,335 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I really wouldn't be as optimistic as a 10-15 advantage to Leinster, all things considered.

Toulouse are leading the Top14 by a shade from an excellent La Rochelle side and when it comes to Leinster, if I had a short list of late withdrawals that I wouldn't want to see it would consist of Furlong, Doris or Henshaw.

So I'm not pessimistic about the result, but by fcuk it's going to be a battle.

Mind you, I think the best game of rugby I ever saw in person was Leinster v Toulouse in the 2011 QF, so hopefully it will be a cracker with it.

I think oppositely, Leinster ,provided they show up, will win with a bit to spare. Not a blow out but a solid hold Toulouse at arms reach sort of result.

People keep talking about La Rochelle's power but its far more than that. They just have a great all round pack, they have a big pack but then have a great tackle threat, great around the park. They just have it all and because of that I think they'll be a massive threat if Leinster get to the final and feel if anything that's the game that could go either way but in Dublin you would still have to back Leinster.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

So just to clarify, LAR will be a "massive threat" to Leinster despite needing a last minute try to get past Gloucester at home in the R16 and a last minute try to beat Ulster at home in the pool stages.

But Toulouse, who are ahead of of LAR in the T14, will be an easy win because they apparently haven't looked that impressive in the EPCR?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Toulouse and in particular Dupont are in far better form than last year. We need to keep the ball in play as much as possible. Something Barnes might help with, however the weather might not. I have a feeling this will be a nerve jangling afternoon for Leinster fans. Im hoping we have more than a one score advantage going into the last 10 minutes. Not sure my heart will take the stress otherwise.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

La Rochelle will batter Exeter and be gunning for a second title. Those results earlier in the season mean nothing now.

I would. That's a rough aggregate score in this fixture from previous encounters and I have seen little from Toulouse in Europe this season to make me think this will be any different to the previous encounters. Simply put Leinster are still the better side, fitter side, stronger bench, better form, home advantage, psychological advantage...based on all that afew players being out my alter the margin of victory but I still see a 10-15 gap being the difference between the sides at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭crisco10

Yeah, been avoiding this game all week. Partly because I think Leinster have a lot of headwinds coming into the game. Obviously, the 3 absentees in the backline, then VDF and Baird just coming off injury and Ngatai (who didn't look fully meshed into the Leinster "way" before his injury) coming in after 3 months out.

Then, Toulouse are in a much better spot than last year, more rested, more focussed etc.

I really think this will be an uphill game for Leinster. Would love to be totally wrong in that respect.

Yes. Because they have actually proven they know exactly how to beat this Leinster side, Toulouse have yet to do that. Please dont tell me you are falling into the trap of using the top14 as any sort of indication of how sides will perform in Europe.

Judging by their performances in Europe I wouldnt say they are "much better" they are better yes and that will ensure it wont be a +20 point win for Leinster. They havent improved enough to bridge a 20 point gap.

Good way to think about this though -

-if Leinster had shipped a significant hammering from Toulouse 12 months ago

-if the bulk of that Leinster team had then suffered another heavy defeat to a France team stuffed with Toulouse players in the 6N this season

-if the Toulouse team were on better form than they were 12 months ago (with only one defeat all season, and even that coming with the kids)

-if Leinster had to go down to Toulouse to play them in a stadium packed with Toulouse fans

Would we give Leinster a hope?

The TLDR is if the shoe was on the other foot, we'd think Toulouse were heavy heavy favourites.

I think if we start well and get out in front, they'll crumble as the 'inevitability' of it will just set in with them.

Yeah, with a last minute try. Seems to be a speciality of theirs.

The T14 performance is indicative that this Toulouse team is significantly better than last year's. Toulouse are also clearly targeting the EPCR. In contrast, I've seen nothing from LAR to suggest they should be a particularly big concern for Leinster and expect that to be much the easier game if we make it through. LAR's performances in the EPCR this year have been much worse than Toulouse's.

A last minute try is better than losing by 23 points though isn't it?

Their top14 performances may have improved alot (on paper at least, obviously I havent watched all their top14 matches so cant say im an expert) but their CC performances certainly haven't, there maybe has been some improvement but certainly not enough to suggest they can come to Dublin and win. The difference is La Rochelle have shown they can step up to Leinster when it counts and Toulouse have shown that they simply cant. Being able to put away average sides doesnt really mean much in this company, playing Leinster in Dublin is a whole other ball game.

And what I find interesting is the majority of people who are highlighting the players Leinster have out seem to only be interested in only the negatives hurting Leinster and only the positives helping Toulouse. That tells me this is the pre match anxiety talking and not people being rational.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

As fans of Irish sports, I think we still have a collective mentality of underrating our teams. I know I first looked at that Toulouse side and thought how on Earth are Leinster supposed to match up to their size and power. Meafou is a monster, isn't yet eligible for France and we didn't have to face him in the Six Nations. He could be a game changer.

But looking at our own side you see four of the Grand Slam winning tight five and six of the starting eight in the pack. There's a lot of quality and ability in the side and I do make us marginal favourites.

If our pack can edge theirs for 50 minutes we have the physicality and athleticism of Jenkins and Baird to call upon. That could be a huge boost.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

This level of pessimism is really too much and over the top.

We're not in anyway fücked by these injuries. It's a squad game and we have a fantastic squad that can deploy more than adequate replacements.

Are we shoe ins to win? Absolutely not. But we're favourites and have home advantage, a good track record and some phenomenal players fronting up for us. We're in a great position tomorrow but it'll be a challenge.

Post edited by Exclamation Marc on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭crisco10

And Frawley. the tone of that tweet is that if he trained on Monday the jersey was his to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Leinster fans:

"We have the deepest squad in the world. We have class in every position. We're the best producers of home grown talent. We're the primary feeder of the best ranked international team in the world. We have the world player of the year starting"

Also Leinster fans:

"Some players are injured. We don't stand a chance tomorrow against a team also missing key players"

For what its worth, I think the game is a toss up. I think the loss of Henshaw is enough to move us from favourites to a scratch game.

If that team was playing LAR I'd be feeling fairly comfortable.

On top of this, I think Robbie's grandmother passed away earlier this week, so very tough week on him.

I'll be peppering my chips with the NaCl from Telegraph authors by tomorrow evening.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

That's pretty much word for word true for Toulouse.

Advertisement