Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Totally get and appreciate that BotW - and presumably TotK - aren't for everyone. But we've also had three decades of traditional Zelda-style games, and you could certainly make an argument that the likes of Skyward Sword showed the series struggling to build new ideas on those basic foundations. Don't get me wrong, I'd love an old-school Zelda too and would happily play it - but I'm even happier they've managed to build something new and interesting while staying loyal to the series' exploration-focused foundations.

That's not to say there aren't improvements to BotW I'd also like to see, and may not be forthcoming in this game, or that we're overdue a more traditional, dungeon-focused Zelda game. But what the series is doing at the moment manages an elegant mix between sandbox gameplay and authored content that I think exceedingly few (if any) other open-world games have managed, and that makes me very excited to dive into TotK.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Spooch

New mechanics aside, an absolute necessity for me with TOTK will be a decent story. Zelda games have never been the pinnacle of writing, but I had a grá for the story of the 3 main characters, Triforce, Sacred Realm type stuff etc.

I never felt connected to the story of BOTW, the flashbacks never did it for me, and the fact you had to stumble across some of them in the open world meant I completely missed parts of the story when I played first time around.

I'm hoping the restriction on story content for the previews means they've a good story to tell, but part of me is worried that they're tight lipped on story is because they haven't got one........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

My only hope for the story of TotK was that they sorted whatever the hell was going on with Zelda's voice in the first game, but having heard the previews, we're stuck with this quasi-Renaissance Fair scenery munching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yep, pretty atrocious. Maybe best to play with Japanese voice and English text ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Everyone else does a fine job as bearla apart from auld marble-mouth Zelda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Looks like there will be Tears OLEDs available tomorrow in Smyths am still debating whether to buy one or not it looks amazing but €370 is a lot of cash to drop.

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/nintendo-gaming/nintendo-switch/nintendo-switch-consoles/nintendo-switch-oled-the-legend-of-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-edition/p/224651

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭jj880

Unboxing vid: https://youtu.be/BlVSWV7szX4

Unreal looking.

Didnt put video thumbnail as does reveal some some things in case you don't want to see.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I did the lazy, low-effort thing and just ordered it from Amazon for a tenner less than most of the others.

Sorry, but I'm too old to queue or negotiate with Gamestop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭recyclops

Just went with collect physical copy in smyths, Amazon at 60 had a date range from May 17th to June 5th 🤣🤣

Hopefully carrickmines have it first thing friday morn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Only the console is out today Amiibo and Game are two weeks time

Seems to be loads around. You could keep and sell for a profit later, if it's in good condition.

Next Switch I'll get is the SteamDeck 2.

Just kidding.

Definitely not getting anymore Nintendo hardware until it's needed for new games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭blaa85

That video put me at ease. My console arrived this morning, no security seals on the box, and nothing inside the box was sealed either. Thought it was weird but can see other people have asked the same online about previous consoles when I googled.

Lovely looking bit of kit. Not a fan of the feel of the joycons, looking forward to getting the Pro controller. And TOTK of course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,188 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So I guess the real question is Where is everyone going first with their free luggage tag from Smyths?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Wrong thread.

Posted in the wrong thread.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom | Dive Into the Unknown

Dive into the unknown, harness the power of new abilities and let curiosity lead the way.

It's pretty much the same as what we've seen before, just 3 brief bits from a different perspective of scenes from previous trailers. The best one being the Master Sword. It's not spoilery and doesn't show a great deal.

WARNING: Apparently Tears of the Kingdom has leaked and full spoilers, screenshots, videos, etc are out in the wild now.

Time to delete the internet for two weeks.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,857 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Yeah it's leaked, people are streaming it

• Advertisement

Join Nintendo in The Leakers of Zelda: Tears of the Shareholders. They'll embark on a perilous quest across the sprawling landscapes of Earth and the mysterious internet floating in the vast skies above. As they seek to locate, discover their true identity and destroy the lives of the Leakers of TOTK. Unravel the truth behind a cataclysmic event that has sent their kingdom into turmoil. An epic adventure awaits!

Rated: Everyone 12+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Interesting reading some of the threads elsewhere on the leak.

Seems to be the game that BOTW should have been - my expectations are ticking up a few notches that this might be worth the wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭nedd

I gave the leak a go last night. No spoilers, It's BOTW+. Only got about an hour in, will give it more time today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭jj880

Pleeeeeease post in a spoiler tag if there are dungeons....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭nedd

I didn't make it that far. There are shrines.

I am doing the intro piece, very similar to the part in BOTW where you are given your first powers to use. 3 Shrines.

From what I've read there are 6 themed dungeons with mini-bosses & bosses in the more classical style needing specific items to complete etc.

Sometimes I wonder if Nintendo did the leak on purpose for free FOMO and advertising.

Not long now. I'd say Smyths have the carts already and just waiting for the official ship/sell date.

I find Smyths ships 2 days before release, so I'm expecting it Thursday lunchtime.

One nice thing about the Switch is that it still has carts ! I think if you get a later BOTW cart it has all the patches on it. I.e. the bugfixed game is all one one cart and not dependant on Nintendo servers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭blaa85

I hope so. I got the RE4 remake on a Thursday from them, but the TOTK OLED arrived on Friday.

Advertisement