Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abuse of Referees

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Hope I'm not accused of taking this off topic but to explain how I see it the amount of rucks in a game take the pace out of it, I'd agree you need to be much closer to make the call than in GAA. Just in terms of reffing a game well would experience of playing a lot help a referee in rugby?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

People are trying to put the Fergal Horgan situation in line with what happened with James McGrath and Pat Casserly in the past. It's a simple reach and easy one to let the Association and CRAC off the hook. I don't accept it was a simple case of missing out on finals for those men. Missing out on a final was the straw that broke the camel's back. What kind of environment is pushing these refs to just suddenly go and leave reffin' in their peak? Personally, I think Gavin's interview on how refs are treated nails it. No proper training and no relevant expenses. As Fergal says there's no support.

I think the time has come where refs must be listened to about what its like to be a ref and what they need to be refs and continue to be refs. I don't think its too much to say we're not seeing a take up on becoming refs. Refs are being hung out to dry from all sides at the moment. And the pressure they're under, from players to supporters to admin to commentators in the media is making some lads crack up and leave the game at the drop of a hat. Plenty of examples down the years. It's a pressure cooker environment. And yet their not taken seriously.

Saying oh, the ref didn't get a final or finals and is sore goes nowhere near to covering the problem and helping refs have a career in the game. It's part of the problem. Overly simplistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Abusing a referee is a mindset. Some are just set in their ways and see it as normal. But yes some of the rules certainly don't help at all. The square ball rule should be brought in line with football. The black card is desperately needed in hurling now. Get rid of the handpass and let lads throw it in an underhanded manner. That's whats happening most of the time anyway so remove the ambiguity.

Possibly introduce something around puck outs to remove the turgid hand passing tactics. Maybe a puck out should have to travel beyond the 45 at least.

The biggest problem is that lads reffing can't keep up with the game. It's nothing to do with fitness most of the times. It's just the ball moving so fast and far in a short space of time. A couple of seconds usually. At inter-county level you'll have 2 Linesmen, a 4th official and 4 umpires to help the ref. That just isn't the case at club level where most of the abuse seems to occur. Too much is expected of referees in hurling particularly at club level.

A mindset and culture needs to be bred into youngsters playing the game that will eventually feed into the senior ranks whereby they don't question the ref at all. Although the issues mostly occur with sideline mentors and supporters. A scenario that if a clearly identifiable mentor abuses of aggressively questions a refs decions the referee can treat it like the same way he would if a player done it. Move the ball forward 13 meters.

A ref in kilkenny was sent a letter telling him they knew where he lived, all about his family, and that they hoped he died roaring of cancer. Kilkenny refs considering withdrawing services this weekend. Meanwhile, Chin's abuser gets 48 weeks:

The individual who racially abused Wexford captain Lee Chin during the county's challenge game against Tipperary in Carrick-on-Suir earlier this month has been issued a 48-week suspension.

The Irish Examiner understands the proposed sanction was earlier this week handed down to the spectator who levelled comments at Chin following a heated moment among players towards the end of the second half on April 8.

Referee John Keenan called a halt to the game following the incident, which enraged a number of Chin’s team-mates. Based on the Wicklow official’s report and video evidence, the punishment has been handed down by the Central Competitions Control Committee who had sanctioned the match.

It is believed the person, who is a member of the GAA, has since written a letter of apology to Chin for his comments, which were condemned by both Tipperary and Wexford as well as the Gaelic Players Association.

At Congress in February, delegates voted to back the British GAA board’s proposal that any act by deed, word or gesture of a racist, sectarian or anti-inclusion/diversity nature on an official or opponent be upgraded to a Category VI charge.

The individual has been charged accordingly but may have their punishment reduced by the CCCC to 24 weeks upon him completing an appropriate course of training or education, which can be completed online.

Meanwhile, Kilkenny referees are considering withdrawing their services in support of a match official who received a threatening letter.

A referee has confirmed to the Irish Examiner that he received anonymous, handwritten correspondence from a supporter following the U17 minor hurling game between Erins Own and Thomastown last Tuesday week, which Thomastown won.

Making a number of claims about the match official’s performance, the writer concludes that they know where the referee lives and all about his family. It adds: “May you die roaring with cancer.” An Garda Síochána are also investigating the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

The refs are dead right and more actions like this will be happening in the coming years I'm betting. Refs are completely disrespected by the association even though we are completely dependent on them. It's about time they realized what power they have collectively and stop asking for respect and start commanding it. If you thought you might be responsible for every match in the county getting cancelled, and the whole county knows who it is wrote the letter, you wouldn't be long winding your neck in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

But will there be any Garda involvement but realistically the referee should

take his own case of assault though the courts & punish this idiot!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Refs in kilkenny are 'on strike' for this weekend - Fri -> Monday.

They were originally just going to pull their services where the club involved were in action, but have , quite rightly , escalated it.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

The letter

Post edited by evolvingtipperary101 on

Gardai with that one. That's sick. Disgusting.

Absolutely, it's sick. The strike is completely justified too. You can see the level of ignorance the refs are dealing with is a collective thing over on the Kilkenny thread. Incapable of even discussing it. That's the kind of attitude that the refs are facing. If they're not interested in discussing it, the refs are not being listened to in their own county. As the refs said, it is a final straw. Not an isolated incident. Same attitude coming from headquarters. It will lead to an eventual strike at inter county level also.

• Advertisement

It's amazing that we have a crisis with the shortage of refs and people are still behaving this way.

I actually think that every ref in the country needs to take a stance. Not just again old fashioned abuse. But it's the constant challenging on decisions and dissent during a game. As an Organisation I think if we make it mandatory that nobody but the captain can speak to the ref regarding a decision during the game we would be in a better place. It all stems from the little things like dissent following the award of a free or a decision which goes against a team. It comes from the mentors on the line more so too.

Referees should be fully backed and empowered to walk out of a venue at the first instance of aggressive dissent or abuse.

It would be long before clubs would tackle it if games weren't played or abandoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Apart from getting abuse from all quarters, referees rarely get any praise. They go unnoticed if they have a "good" game. A word of commendation for James Molloy, the referee in the Louth Westmeath game. There were no cards of any colour issued during the game.

"Kilkenny Co Board has been informed that its referees are withdrawing their services this weekend [Friday to Monday inclusive] to highlight incidents of abuse directed at match officials in recent times.

"Kilkenny GAA does not condone any abusive behaviour and fully supports the GAA ethos of respecting our match officials. Our match officials are integral to the provision of games and all members of the GAA family, players, mentors and supporters must acknowledge and respect this going forward.

"Kilkenny GAA will not be issuing any further comment at this time."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Ive mixed feelings on this. I understand and see completely the refs point on this, they do a thankless job and should only be thanked for their effort.

99.99% of people are well behaved and respectful.

.01% of supporters have now stopped the 99.99% of respectful people from enjoying the games this weekend and im not sure this stance will change anything.

Personally i think Sanctions should be individual related, lifetime bans, or lengthy at least or where a club does nothing they should be penalized financially.

The problem with refs walking out is that games will be called off, and some people might use this to their advantage.

A better solution is to have mandatory club representatives at each game who are responsible for supervising the actions of the crowd and intervening where necessary, removing individuals and making them face the clubs board over a breach of conduct, if a ref is being abused it is the one who giving the abuse who should be punished, not everyone else

The community, clubs and supporters and players, must play a role in weeding out this kind of behaviour out. Too often these people are laughed with or at or put up with or ignored and that goes nowhere to dealing with the situation. The behaviour goes on. It's not acceptable. A line has to be drawn.

Yea, people need to be quicker to tell the gobshites to shut up

• Registered Users Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

But its the county board/clubs fault that the .01% are getting away with it.

So if the county boards wont back the refs by sanctioning the abusers , what other option do refs have ??

At least now the 99.99% can put pressure on the .01% to shut their mouths , or else fcuk off outta the field .......

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Will you cop on to yourself, everyone I know in KK gaa community are disgusted by this fools actions so stop talking as if this disgraceful behaviour is being condoned in the county and grow up.

Clubs already have a code of conduct that can be enforced against people behaving like this.

Its time clubs were forced to be proactive about enforcing it.

• Advertisement

Stop misrepresenting what I stated. I said there was a reluctance to discuss the issue. People don't want to discuss it on the kilkenny thread. I never said anyone in kilkenny condoned it. Spoofer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

You said "You can see the level of ignorance the refs are dealing with is a collective thing over on the Kilkenny thread. Incapable of even discussing it. That's the kind of attitude that the refs are facing". That's quite clearly implying that kk people condone that letter. You're normally a better poster than this so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here but your post seemed pretty clear to me.

The problem with refs walking out is that games will be called off, and some people might use this to their advantage.

Totally understand where you're coming from, but at the end of the day if I was a ref I'd be saying that the games are not more important than my safety

That may not suit and may make a mess of things, but at the end of the day we're seeing refs verbally harassed, physically assaulted and families threatened.

If the GAA don't make ref's safety a priority, why should the ref's make the GAA a priority?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

You're the spoofer. When you were found out on the Kilkenny thread you resorted to posting misinformation on this thread. You seem to think you have superior authority on GAA matters, frequently dismissing others opinions.

Any reasonable person would be happy with how the Kilkenny County Board are handling the abuse of refs. The Gardai are investigating the matter, what more can be done for now.

What misinformation? What are you on about? Found out? Are you okay? KK County Board haven't handled it all. The refs were forced to handle it

exactly. You can’t point it out because it didn’t happen.

Post edited by evolvingtipperary101 on

I wonder how much of this is down to Alcohol, gambling, ignorance of the rules or a combination of all 3

People also attach themselves to things to get out their angst on a totally unrelated issue. Work issues. Marriage problems. Loneliness. All projected onto a ref’s decision. A free suddenly becomes a reason for abuse or hatred. The angst of an upcoming match is even taken out on other posters on boards. People lose their heads around championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Their refs are literally on strike, I am no expert but that doesn't sound like a happy bunch of campers to me.

Saying that reasonable people are happy with how the county board are handling the abuse seems to be out of touch with reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

I'm no expert either. It appears to me that the anonymous letter threatening the ref was referred to the Gardai for investigating. The County Board could hardly do the Gardai job. The refs are on strike to highlight the serious issue and correctly so. If the County Board are found wanting I'll join the criticism.

Advertisement