Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Thought Diaz looked sharp when he came on, good to see him back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I'm becoming a big fan of Gakpo. So silky on the ball and generally seems to make the right decision. We went downhill the minute he went off. Class player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

So what is best tomorrow, for Spurs to win, or United,

For I know it's best for Everton to win, they're second from bottom after tonight and in serious trouble now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Spurs win tomorrow and then Liverpool win on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ah in fairness that Arsenal appearance was Thiago's first game in months - hardly too surprising that he didn't look fit.

A London match is probably easier to catch, since he can get a direct flight in from Boston (only connections to Liverpool). Liverpool have an office in London for the same reason too, so i'd say whatever business they're doing would be done through there, and he'll nip away back off to Boston again after.

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I doubt someone as wealthy as John Henry is travelling on commercial flights...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

So in essence, the FSG chairman did it because it was cheaper? Those penny pinching *****.

</joke>

I've no doubt he has a private jet, but at the same time i'd say he's no stranger to first class. I'd imagine he's a fella who can nip right out to the runway and bypass all the actual airport stuff anyway.

Sure who knows the mind of a man that wealthy, but either way, even on your own plane, I'd imagine London is an easier transport hub to access than Liverpool, in terms of scheduling landing times etc. Seems as good a speculative reason as any as to why he arrived into London instead of Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

I would love nothing more than to pip Man Utd to 4th. It's never gonna happen but it would be hilarious and glorious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Oh well if you saw him for a few minutes in one game thats all the sample size I need. Sell sell sell 🙄

Lads, thiago is an absolute Rolls Royce of a midfielder. Anyone saying we "need to get rid" is off their rockers imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Maybe he just finally got a booking for Harry Potter World and decided to hang around for the match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

He was terrible against Forest.

Sometimes he does dally rather than move the ball on simply and quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

I wouldn't sell him because we'd get very little for him. He's 32 and has a terrible record with injuries. We can't go into next season relying on him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭McFly85

Ox, Keita, Milner should be really in their last seasons. I’d love Milner to stay on as a coach or something but as long as he’s an option it’s one more replacement we don’t have.

Would absolutely keep Thiago. It’s frustrating how regularly injured he is but he’s a fantastic option to have, especially if we can have a midfield where he’s not needed as regularly as we would have needed him this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If Man City '' Purchase'' another title on the back of over 100 charges against them, it's time for every other club in the league to down tools, and DEMAND that the actual rules are applied, not only to them, but MAN CITY too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

My personal belief is the FA is waiting for the Man Utd potential purchase to complete and then close the door. Utd have vast income with no stadium investment happening. Glazers won’t do it so they need a fresh face and the FA is on board with this for whatever reason. All my beliefs.

There is an awful lot of talk this year about this pretend financial arrangements City have. If they take the title off Arsenal (which they will), it may be a tipping point. Strangely it was never really a big discussion while Liverpool were battling with them. Utd supporters not really bothered currently about City finances as they may very well be in the same boat very soon.

FIFA not bothered as it would point the finger squarely at their French darling PSG.

John Henry protested about it but then the whole super league discussion occurred, he lost momentum with other owners.

I feel for Arsenal but 90 point seasons are not normal and shouldn’t be seen as such. They won’t win the PL this year despite doing it fairly (built a team with no pretend money washing over them) and City will continue to dominate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

During the training session, Ryan Gravenberch suddenly found himself without pants as he swapped his long training pants for a pair of shorts on the field, causing his teammates to laugh. Apparently, he was feeling too warm during the training and decided to change his outfit.

Bayern training session was a bit chaotic.

Loads of pants in Liverpool. And it's a bit colder too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Are there two worse teams to be relying on than Everton and Spurs...? 🙈

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Wins for Everton, Tottenham and Southampton was a 30/1 treble offer in the bookies at lunch time. 🤑

• Advertisement

Thankfully I wasn't foolish enough to take those odds. 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭facehugger99

That Man Utd team are not a good side - It's galling to see them in the CL spots but we have only ourselves to blame for that.

Still, I would not be surprised to see Villa get something out of their game at the weekend and then they have a very good Brighton side away next.

Liverpool just need to keep putting the wins together starting with Spurs on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

When we beat United 7-0 that should of been the point where we began our run of form, now we are going to just fall short of 4th I feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I remember the year we won the league, when it was paused for Covid I had my Everton buddies phoning me up saying the whole thing should be voided.

My finger is now resting on the redial button. I really hope they go down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

If they do drop points against an in form Villa this weekend and we can take 6 points from the home games against Spurs and Fulham. There could be only 2 points in it before they play away to Brighton on Thursday! Now there is obviously slims chances of this happening and they will get forth but it would be hilarious to see how they react if that situation played out....

I have a friend who lives outside Liverpool and absolutely hates both Sean Dyche and Everton. He and his wife are emigrating next month and he's hoping to be able to celebrate the demise before he goes.

At the time of the Man Utd game we were entering on a wing and a prayer territory for salvaging the season.

It was preceded by a toothless 0-0 draw against Crystal Palace and followed up with the 0-1 defeat against Bournemouth. Had we beaten Bournemouth, we would have reached the top 4 for the first time this season, albeit only for a few hours until both Tottenham and Newcastle played their respective games. That's a strong indication of how poor the team have been and Bournemouth were bottom of the table at the time. After the game Alexander-Arnold said that the Bournemouth players wanted it more, his statement succinctly summed up our season.

It should also be remembered that Klopp surrendered the initiative against Chelsea by taking Robertson, Alexander-Arnold and Salah out of the starting line-up for what was a must win game. Chelsea's results before and after that fixture make it clear that they were there for the taking but we gave them a pass.

The 5 points dropped in those two games would certainly have put us in contention for the top 4 but we really don't deserve it this season. Relative to the performance levels of the "mentality monsters", the players have been absolutely terrible as a group and the management have also fallen short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Tommysocks11

Imagine nunez doing that mazy dribble and assist for Newcastles 4th goal last night, I can't as his close control is very poor and I'm not knocking the lad but for 60 or 70 million or whatever it was we should expect better, now he has in fairness scored goals and is a handful but I can't ever unfortunately see him bring a truly world class striker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,104 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It's not a slim chance IMO.

Liverpool have 3 home games in a row now. Chance of picking up a few wins on the bounce there and apply pressure to the teams above us.

Man Utd look tired and played away to Spurs on Thursday night, after 120 mins at the weekend. They don't rotate much. Villa are in form and played on Tuesday so have a bit extra rest behind them. Villa have a chance. Brighton will want revenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

We don't deserve 4th this season. The frustrating thing is we all know we are better than United, but, have contrived to shot ourselves in the foot so often this season, especially away to United, Forest, Bournemouth and home to Leeds, those 4 games were all very winnable games and we got nothing from them, which was shockingly poor. We've been terrible for most of the season yet somehow we're not far off 4th. I think we have unfortunately left ourselves too much to do and will just miss out as can't see use winning all our matches and a total collapse from United, which is more or less what we need. Would love if we somehow pipped United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Sorry, even entertaining the notion of 4th is absolute madness.

I guess signing a yellow card magnet will be a step up from a sick note player. At least the games that he'll miss will be somewhat predictable.

I don't think so, were going to run united very close but come up short I reckon. United are out on their feet and have tough fixtures to come.

It's highly unlikely though but would be hilarious if we did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭passatman86

Genuine question - who sees us finishing higher next season compared to this season. Id say 6th place this year

Think we'll finish 5th this season, and have a great chance of getting back into the top 4 next season with a few decent transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,671 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I could, if we stay relatively injury free and the midfield transfers work out. The Europa League will be use to rotate and rest players so there'll be more game time for fringe squad members and more rest for the first team.

A lot will depend on what the Uniteds do in the transfer market as well (especially Newcastle) and whether or not the FA can finish their investigation into City and what (if anything) comes of it.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Brighton making moves to sign James Milner on a free transfer.

If we bring in the right midfield signings and they hit the ground running. I'm hoping the defensive issues are down to the poor midfield we have had all season. In attack we are absolutely stacked Salah, Diaz, Jota, Nunez, gakpo. The latter will have settled in. We need to avoid long injuries too though so hopefully the medical department can get sorted out.

I'm optimistic, the obituaries of this squad have been premature, there is really one problem area to address with a few signings. Trent absolutely has to be found a role that works though, I don't want to see his talent wasted chasing wingers for 90 mins.

Newcastle breaking into the top 4 is bad news though, they will have access to better players in the summer and more money to solidify a place in the top 4. A potential sovereign fund taking over united too will further stretch our resources.

Most importantly we have to get back to been the smartest club at recruitment, its what got us to where we were.

Fairly bad look for the club:

probably happens everywhere but still not nice to see.

• Advertisement

Doesn't read too well alright, especially for Inglethorpe, who is now our academy director. It also reads like there's a few missing pieces in the story though... like, it paints Liverpool as villains who would stop at nothing to ruin his career, purposefully removing any chance of his value increasing. which, like, doesn't make sense...

I would think the main problem youth prospects generally face is apathy from their clubs, with a loss of belief in players leading to them just getting a bit forgotten about and not getting opportunities. But this sounds more like active sabotage, going far out of their way to ruin the kids career, to seemingly no benefit of the club? I dunno... it raises a lot of questions, which would either point back towards maybe some unmentioned conduct issues from the player, or some seriously vindictive behaviour from academy staff which would deserve further serious investigation.

It is sad to read, but it definitely is everywhere (and in every sport, I'd say). To counter it, have you seen all the stuff Trent is doing this week to support those who don't make the grade from academy level?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

It is like any business people at the top see those people at the bottom as just numbers and don't care about anyone, looks bad but if you look at every big company you will see the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

I call complete bullshit on that story. He's presenting a very one sided varnished view of events.

The key section for me is where he wanted to be paid off for the remaining months of his contract and the club refused.

He claims to have had several options to subsequently leave but the club blocked him and instead kept him on the payroll but sent him out on loan to Scotland.

Total BS.

If, as he claims, he was no longer in favour and no one wanted to buy him Liverpool would have happily let him leave should another club offered to take him on but the reality is no one did and for whatever reason he drifted away from the game but has polished up a story which he can use to build some podcast profile.

Sad really.

My guess is he had a bad agent that pissed the club off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement