Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abuse of Referees

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

When a group of people have unanimously withdrawn their services then their employer by definition is found wanting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

You could be right. In your opinion what should have been done by the County Board?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Im not familiar with the instances to comment tbh, but its clear that they havent done enough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

But by saying they didn't do enough, you are commenting.

Every county has games where refs receive abuse. The letter is a new low and is being dealt with by the Gardai - and I'm fairly sure the Kilkenny County Board are co-operating with them in any way needed.

What did the Board do that was wrong for you to say they didn't do enough?

Genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Extenuating circumstances can’t be allowed to influence the GAA or interfere with disciplinary processes.

if there is something happening in the private life or family life of a player…. That has to be left at their front door. Rules need to apply equally and evenly and without prejudice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

To be fair I don't think too many on here are familiar with the matter. Looking at it from the outside, I can't see how the County Board could investigate such a serious matter. The Gardai are best placed to follow up the anonymous threatening letter. Had there been sideline abuse at the match and reported by the ref, then the onus would be on the county board.

A quote following the refs meeting last night - The referees met in Langton's last night. In solidarity with their colleague, it now looks like they will not take charges of games this weekend in protest.

No mention of been let down by the County Board. And hopefully they have the Boards full backing. Anything else at present is pure speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Genuine question, do you really think all refs have went on strike because one crank sent a letter? Over one incident that has already been referred to the guards?

Because that doesn't pass the smell test, what is the point of the strike if the cause is already with the guards and so nobody on the county board could comment on it anyway?

Common sense would suggest that the refs have something else on their mind, for example, and this is just spit-balling here, perhaps there is a history of abuse that the county board have not done anything about?

To my mind, saying the county board has acted correctly (by doing nothing) with regards to this letter is rather missing the woods for the trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Erins own Castlecomer would want to get the finger out big time. They know who sent the letter. " i hope you die roaring of cancer"

Wtf.

There really can be no debate. Refs spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Why did the ref go to the media? Why not just the county board meeting?

Answer: Pressure.

To quote the Examiner: "Prior to a county board meeting last night, there was a determination among several match officials to demonstrate solidarity with the referee in question. It is understood they want the county board to open their own probe into the letter and help identify the sender."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

So, you are basically saying, that maybe there is a history of the Kilkenny County Board doing nothing abount instances of abuse - i.e. you don't know really.

The point of the strike is to highlight Abuse and that it has escalated to Refs receiving Abusive letters and that Refs won't accept ie - and they are of course correct.

Again - what do you think a County Board should have done that they didn't do?

• Advertisement

Proper order going to the media. Players certainly dont get the type of abuse referees get but their mental health is always spoken about. Any time a player is questioned it is quickly dealt with. Refs, umpires and linesmen have been fair game for far too long. Enough is enough. All refs this weekend should abondon ship when the abuse starts. Seriously i think that is the only way to deal with it.

How many times are you going to ask the same question?

Colm Keys has written in the Irish Independent:

"This has been described by a refereeing source contacted by Independent.ie as a "trigger" on the back of sustained abuse referees in the county say they have been getting."

end of quote.

The board should have acted long before this. It should have never got to this level. Refs went to the media to force the issue and force the board to take it seriously... There is a clear and obvious breakdown of relations when a strike happens.

I'll ask it until someone answers it - if that's okay with you.

Maybe you will.

Given that there is Abuse to refs in Every County in Ireland - what should a county board have done? Clearly you are saying County Boards are not taking it seriously - what should they have done?

What have other County Boards done that Kilkenny County Board did not do?

You're trying to excuse the Kilkenny cb of why exactly? Perhaps the club who this member belongs to should have been suspended until they identified the culprit of this letter. I guarantee if it had been tj reid subjected to this vile abuse the CB would have done more. Yes the CB cant police every game but when this happens the club needs to be made police their members. " i hope you roar dying of cancer"

I know if you ignore someone you can't see their posts but how do I stop posters from seeing my posts?

I'm not excusing any County Board - some posters are somehow convinced they did something wrong - but Can't say what it is - which makes little sense to me.

If for example the refs had a meeting with the County Board and then they did absolutely nothing - they deserve blame. But simply saying they didn't Do Enough - that's just lazy posting as far as I am concerned. The Guards are dealing with the letter. Do you think the County Board should have dealt with it - I don't. I think the Gurads dealing with it is far better and I am confident they will have the assistance of the Club and County Board.

Every County Board are guilty in that case as there is Abuse of Refs in Every County in Ireland.

Which post - there are quite a few, you might quote it please.

Absolutely. This is a matter for the gardai. Internally in the GAA though the club should be hit with a fine.

Not too sure about that. Should a club be fined because an individual sent such a letter? Should the person be kicked out of the club - Absolutely but is the club at fault? For all we know, they may have - and I presume they did - given every detail they knew already to the Gardaí as soon as they became aware of the issue.

• Advertisement

This is the last time I'll be responding to you.

If you can't see what's wrong with a county board that lets abuse of refs get to a stage where there's a strike, I can't help you. The refs have already outlined its a systemic level of abuse and this is the final straw as I've put in from Colm Keys. It's just a willful misunderstanding on your part at this stage. A contentedness to misunderstand.

Id imagine this isnt an isolated incident with that team and club. Our Kilkenny posters will able to fill us in though.

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

"Prior to a county board meeting last night, there was a determination among several match officials to demonstrate solidarity with the referee in question. It is understood they want the county board to open their own probe into the letter and help identify the sender."

But where does it say that the County Board would not open a probe or were in some way OK with the level of Abuse. How do we know they did not contact the club looking for information?

We do know the Guards are involved - did they say to the County Board 'We'll take it from here'. No one really knows but it is certainly very conceivable in my view that the County Board are not stepping on the Guards's toes as it were - and they would be correct in doing so. Once the Guards finish their side of things, I'm sure if a fella needs to be chucked out of the club, both the club and the County Board will have no problem in doing so.

Maybe there is a willful misunderstanding on your part, because it's happening in Kilkenny. If it were Tip, what could the County Board have done differently? I'm honestly not sure as it could happen in any county.

It would be very interesting and an eye opener for club referees to wear body cams for a while. I dont think this level of abuse is as vocal or obvious for officials at intercounty level. In a stadium of 20000 you wont hear it. On a field of 200 you will hear every word.

Is it something referees would do at their owm expense?

Maybe you are right. I don't claim to know the ins and outs. There may indeed be alot more to it that we don't know. But from what I do know, I'm not sure what the County Board did wrong.

A 'fan' could have sent in a similar letter to any ref in any county - I wouldn't just play the blame game and land it at the County Boards feet. Unless there is more to the story that isn't common knowledge.

Absolutely pathetic comment on the tribal comparison of Tipp and Kilkenny. Just goes to show the mentality and why you're siding with the two trouble makers on this thread. Pathetic little jibe.

But do you not understand that they went to the media to insure there was a probe because of past experience? How does that get past you? That they're unhappy with how things have been dealt with at board level before? Hence the strike? That's why they want to say it's the tip of the iceberg. They evidently don't trust the board when they go to the media. They wanted to make sure it got coverage - like Horgan.

It's a PR exercise to say it's gone to the Gardai. The Tipp and Wex boards did the same thing with the Lee Chin instance.

I should have left you on ignore. You'll keep hounding me with replies like the other two. Same mentality.

I'm not siding with any poster - as I've mentioned, it could have happened in any county - if it was yours - what could the County Board have done differently?

Past experience of Abuse, which happens in every county. Where does it say past experience with a County Board that did nothing previously when the refs outlined their plight? That's an opinion being stated as a fact.

To quote another poster..... "A quote following the refs meeting last night - The referees met in Langton's last night. In solidarity with their colleague, it now looks like they will not take charges of games this weekend in protest.

No mention of been let down by the County Board. And hopefully they have the Boards full backing. Anything else at present is pure speculation."

I fully agree with the above. Too much speculation by some folk.

Saying it's a PR exercise to bring it to the Guards - that's a fairly pathetic viewpoint to have in my view. I think it is a clear escalation of the seriousness they feel the issue deserved.

I hope the Guards act fully on the issue.

• Advertisement

That's a bullshit quote from Kilkenny Live.

You're taking that one - but not the ref source to the Irish Independent where they've stressed the level of abuse has risen and they're sick of it.

I never said anything about any county board doing anything differently. They're heading the same way? You think that justifies it?

Did you miss the Fergal Horgan interview where he says refs get no support? We had a great discussion on this thread on it. Maybe have a read.

The strike says it. Why would refs go on strike if they felt they had respect and the issue would be handled?Why do refs have to make a fifty game statement?

Why can't people speculate on a discussion board?

Why can't people interpret on a discussion board?

Bring it to the guards and saying no further comment - is it just washing your hands of responsbility? Why is it not tackling it head on?

What did they do on the Chin issue?

Advertisement