Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Trouble is the only way of avoiding the game is to emigrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭herbalplants

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mayo londoner

Over the odds is most certainly what is being paid now for it considering highest selling price in the housing estate previously is 290K and that house was detached, more modern and not subject to probate as this one is. The fact that it was 30k over the previous bid within 20hrs on a house valued at 285k is nuts, if it was a house selling for say 800k in Dublin I'd find it a bit more believable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Absolute insanity out there at the moment. Outbid on 2 properties in last couple of weeks. First was a tiny gaff in an alright area and would need about 80k put into it. Nice enough size garden but house itself is depressing beyond belief. 2 people still bidding away on it now way beyond after I pulled out.

The other was a wreck, needs minimum 120k put into it. All sorts of issues to be uncovered but would qualify for gov vacant property grant. Mid terrace at edge of fairly rough area of Dublin. Grotty end of the street and similar house in far better condition and much nicer garden on street sold for 470k in march. Bid up to 450 and had to drop out as anything beyond would eat into renovation budget or would have to borrow more.

It's desperate times out there right now. Far far worse than last year and seems higher interest rates are having absolutely no effect on folks. Genuinely finding it difficult to imagine how much worse it could get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

But it wasn’t valued at €285k, it was advertised at €285k and “previously” is the important part of your post, that doesn’t mean someone isn’t willing to pay more today. Best way of a buyer who wants the property getting rid of a few interested other buyers? Bump the bid up quite a bit, there are buyers out there who are desperate to buy what stock there is.

Exactly, think of how much longer it will go on like this? Madness will eventually die down. The money tree may loose it's leaves.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Honestly, that's hard to see at this point. It's like people have collectively lost their minds due to the desperation. Every property becomes the site of a bidding war where people are taking on incredible levels of debt for miserable houses. And the only way to actually get a place is to throw away any sense of reason or future accountability to yourself, and dive into the pool of insanity. You have to be the craziest person bidding, the one who blinks last.

Interest rates will be 5.5-6% most likely when drawing down if you buy now. I'm lucky to have a large lump sum, but many folk out there are taking on massive massive debt. And the only thing that will seemingly stop them is when they're told no by the bank.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭hometruths

In 2006/7 everybody was saying it was hard to see a scenario in which the madness would die down, demand outstripped supply, fundamentals solid etc etc.

And then in 2011/12 everybody was saying it was it was hard to see a scenario in which prices would ever return to 07 levels, zero demand, it would take 30 years to fill the over supply etc etc.

And now prices are largely back at 07 levels, and everybody is saying it is hard to see a scenario in which the madness will die down, demand outstrips supply, fundamentals solid etc.

Sure it might be different this time. But as Villa05 pointed out earlier - history doesn't always repeat itself, but it usually rhymes.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

The only thing we know for sure is that people experiencing an economic cycle are poor are predicting whether the bubble will inflate or pop.

• Advertisement

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Finally starting to see green shoots

13,782 properties on Myhome up from 13,452 on 5th April.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

In what world could we be close to oversupply of property in this country?

Oversupply of large offices maybe, houses not a chance

I think there is a lot in what he says, some data does indicate we are nowhere near as crisis levels of supply as the headlines would have you believe.

It's important to distinguish between whether somebody means supply as in houses actually on the market versus supply as in volume of existing housing stock.

Sure the data shows that supply of houses on the market is at record lows.

But the data of supply of housing stock suggests the picture is nowhere as bleak as most claim.

And I think Skehan's point if we ramp up a housing program that builds 60/70/80k houses a year for next decade, we are likely to have turn quickly into a position of oversupply.

And that then causes the same problems of 07/08 all over again.

Skehan is not a particularly likeable fellow, but he's no idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

What data shows us having enough stock to meet our housing needs?

And where is all this presumably empty stock that isnt making it to market?

Genuinely this is the first im hearing about risks of oversupply, perplexed as to how this can be the case.

In 06/07 people were not struggling to find any place, there was a clear bubble but there was supply and lots more coming on stream

2022 census for one.

According to the CSO the total housing stock is 2,124,590 and the average household size is 2.75 in Ireland.

Total housing stock of 2,124,590 x Average household size 2.75 = 5,842,622 total housing person capacity

And the population is 5,123,536.

So on the face of it based on average household size we have "spare" capacity for 719,086 people. Or to put it another way - 719,086 / avg household size 2.75 = 261,485 spare housing units.

Obviously it is not that simple because in order to facilitate a healthy turnover of stock in a functioning market you need some spare capacity at all times - this is in the region of 6% of housing stock equating to 127,475 units.

261,485 spare housing stock - 127,475 turnover stock = 134,010 oversupply

That potential oversupply we have will have dropped a bit because of significant net immigration since April 2022, but the raw numbers are still nowhere near as alarming as the headlines.

Or to put it another way, if you had never read a newspaper article on Irish property, or tried to rent/buy a house recently, and were coming to the situation with no preconceived idea of the situation and you looked at the number of houses in Ireland compared to the number of people you would conclude there is no shortage of houses.

If you have a few years of building 60/70/80k into to those housing stock numbers you will run into oversupply sooner or later. The longer it takes, the bigger the impact.

I think Rory ahern made a good point in response to Skehan. In 2007, people were buying second properties as an investment.

Just listened to both interviews, and feel a bit bad about my comment on Skehan not being likeable. I thought he came across well, nervous as he knew he'd get it in the neck.

Re Ahernes point about people buying investment properties, we didn't really have a investment landlord class back then.

I daresay if we still didn't have the institutional landlords, and all the units that have been delivered in last 7 or so years that have not made it to market because of build to rent, REITs bulk buying, PArt V delivery etc, had been on the open market it would feel like every Tom, Dick and Harry had been buying second properties as an investment.

I agree with Aherne's thinking re the government should putting all the public money eggs in one basket to supplying the social housing demand and leave the private market to look after itself by and large.

I just did same housing stock / average household size / population calculations using the numbers from the 2006 census.

And the result was an oversupply of 159,187, only 25,000 units more than 134,010 figure from the 2022 census.

And in the year or so following the 2006 census another 100k new units were built, which led to a huge crash due to oversupply. Skehan is just warning to be careful we don't repeat the same mistake again.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mayo londoner

And it's not worth 285k, personally I'd have gone 275k max, alas irrelevant point to my main crux of the house suspiciously going up by 30k in 20hrs after everyone had arrived to view. As I said earlier, if people want to pay way over the odds let them at it, fools and their money are easily parted.

Interesting. I wonder what would happen if th Ukraine war ended and Google pulled out of Dublin with the new 15%.

As far as I can tell, Skehan doing his best to be calm in the storm. It's interesting what he says and if you're saying REIT's are the new investment home bodies akin to people investing in a second home...

Who knows, there seems to be a fair few very large apartment developments coming on stream this year. Will be interesting to see how things pan out.

In the meantime feel sorry for the many people in accommodation distress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Rory Hearne is a Marxist ideologue, he is a blight on the conversation surrounding this issue and does a lot of harm and no good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

skehan is a gowl. ridiculous nonsense he is pedalling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Blut2

Is that "134,010 oversupply" figure not completely ignoring holiday homes (62,000), vacant homes (185,000) and airbnbs (15,000)?

And also not accounting for the housing units required to house Ukrainians and international protection arrivals (which numbered almost 100,000 in 2022 alone, and are still increasingly rapidly) - another 35,000 units required for 2022, and looking pretty high for 2023 too?

The average household size is also decreasing consistently over time on top, from 2.94 in 2002 to 2.75 in 2022. That continuing decline all by itself, even if our population wasn't growing, would require a big number of new housing units to accommodate - approx 7000 new units a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

How much of that 2.1 million housing stock is habitable and in turn key condition?

No, it doesn't ignore vacants and airbnbs - these would be accounted for in the 6% I allowed for spare capacity:

Obviously it is not that simple because in order to facilitate a healthy turnover of stock in a functioning market you need some spare capacity at all times - this is in the region of 6% of housing stock equating to 127,475 units.

Re holiday homes - I think the housing stock figure does not include dedicated holiday homes, ie those which are restricted by planning for holiday home use only. I will check that. I'm not sure how many that is of the total holiday home figure.

You're correct it doesn't account for Ukrainians hence why I said figure would have reduced since April 2022.

The average household size decline is an in interesting one - a lot of the upper estimates of new builds required is predicated on the assumption that we will converge with the European average household size which is much closer to 2.

Does that theory really stack up?

Our household size is larger which because our housing stock is made up of larger properties. We have a lot more houses than most of Europe who have a lot more apartments.

Are there really a ton of people in Ireland living in 3 bed houses who are yearning to live in small apartments? It seems unlikely.

So if the case is we need 50k plus apartments per annum in order to meet demand for smaller household sizes then I think the maths holds up.

But the developers will tell you they won't build them because everybody wants to buy 3/4 bed houses. And we certainly don't need 65k 3/4 bed semis a year!

Whatever about turnkey, all of it is habitable. The housing stock count does not include derelicts/uninhabitable houses.

interesting if its all habitable. But i would be mightly suprised if that were the case.

There has to be some conditions that render some of those properties not turn key, which then stops them hitting the residential market.

I am sure there are a lot that wouldnt take too much input to get to residential stage, though.

I dont understamd why the govt doesnt have a taskforce doing exactly that - supporting minor rennovations to bring homes to market, where the owner doesnt have the funds or means to do so.

State putchases them and does the maintenance.

Then releases them back on to the market as cost rental/social or affordable homes for sale.

Has to be so much quicker than wading through our planning process and then building.

Also, i wonder how many of that stock is 2nd home or vacant investment property, not to mention homes in probabte or other off market determinants.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

Appears that some large scale valuations are being revised downwards.

“International investors remain confident in Ireland as an investment location, particularly because our demographic profile underpins strong demand,” said John McCartney, head of research at BNP in Dublin.

“However, rising interest rates have triggered a reassessment of property values and, in a small market like Ireland, it takes time for an evidence-base of transactions to bring vendors’ and buyers’ pricing expectations into alignment.”

BNP said the “pricing adjustment has a way to go”.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/reduced-price-for-marker-apartments-suggests-market-is-on-the-down-slope-for-investors/a1441550705.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

Seeing the same thing. Record prices and stampedes at open days.

Only property types with low interest and without bidding wars are apartments, old red bricks that need refurbishment (in price segment above 700k) and houses with tiny gardens/patios.

Advertisement