Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

It is strange that I remember the event because it is so shocking but not the details. I guess it is kind of like the shower scene in Psycho - I think I saw more than was actually on screen.

It did suit the tone of Daredevil. Walker being that vicious did not suit the Falcon series and it makes his final scene in it very out of place.

Thunderbolts is strange one. Most of the team are just different levels of super soldiers including Pugh. I like each of the characters in it but it is quite dull to have them all the same. I don’t understand why Marvel aren’t using some new powered heroes or villains. Or why they didn’t cast a younger actor to play Ross so that he can keep recurring in the franchise. Ford is a lot older than Hurt and looks it.

And when the hell os Marvel going to cast Mark Hamill ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

With the garbage movies Marvel are giving us these days , it wouldn’t surprise me if Disney had a brief cameo with Hamill cheaply wasted as a hot dog vender and the Star Wars tune being used as a nod nod wink wink.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

More likely Hamill would voice a throwaway CGI character, given that became his bread & butter for so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I want him on screen as a recurring character.

He would have made a great Ross, but I’d like to see him as a bad guy too.

Anyone got suggestions for a character?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,907 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Hamill was fantastic in Criminal Minds.

But he does seem mostly interested in voice acting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,065 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Antonio Banderas in talks to play the role of Galactus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,198 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I would argue that Hamill's Joker role is more iconic than Skywalker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,018 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think age definitely plays a factor. He was very young and inexperienced as Luke in the original trilogy. Over the years, especially as a voice actor, he became far more accomplished and yes in many ways he's the best all-round Joker, both through the animated shows and even the Arkham video games.

Though I think his performance as Luke in The Last Jedi, regardless of people's thoughts on the story and character arc, I think he gave one of the best performances throughout the entire Star Wars franchise in that film. He absolutely nailed it.

In other news, first impressions from GOTG3 seem to be extremely positive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

All due respect to Hamill's excellent performance as Joker, but I think for a broad, general audience he'll always be best known as Luke Skywalker. I don't think his voice work as Joker has anywhere near as broad a cultural reach or recognition as either Luke or indeed live-action portrayals of the Joker, even if it's undoubtedly a fan favourite and worthy of acclaim.

Again, that's not to in any way undermine his voice work! But if we're talking 'iconic'... well Luke Skywalker is the role he'll always be most associated with for entire generations of people. A 'one in a million' role if ever there was one, even if it was to the detriment of the rest of his live-action career (although I too was delighted for the fantastic work he got to do in The Last Jedi).

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

When Hamill passes, the obituaries will speak of Luke Skywalker, not the Joker. That role might get a mention when noting Hamill's voicework, but by all accounts he will be remembered for Skywalker above all else. His appearance at the end of Season 2 of Mandalorian, good or bad as it was (it was bad), a reminder that the character is a bit of a titan of pop-cultulre.

• Advertisement

Oh sure, he'll be remembered and is most known for Luke Skywalker, but I think his performance as the Joker is more definitive than his performance as Luke Skywalker. I don't think anyone could have matched his performance as Joker, whereas there were probably several at the time who could have done a better job as Luke as his actual performance in those films wasn't that great. But yeah, he'll always be remembered as Luke above all else as I'd say huge numbers of people wouldn't even know he was the voice of Joker regardless of how much they watched the cartoons as a child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Norman Osbourne/Green Goblin would be a fun role considering since Dafoe was always deeam cast as The Joker

Was announced a couple of days back but Quantummania hits Disney+ on the 17th of May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

an initial reaction to seeing Guardians, sounds like its going to be a great film

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Had been out digitally on another platform for a few weeks, so had been floating about the High Seas. Must have been some exclusivity deal that Disney+ wasn't the first port of call. Will be interesting if the film claws back any numbers or favour with audiences. Caught it the other day and it really was atrocious.

It'll be IMAX enhanced though, which always favours most homes big screen tvs above the 21:9 cinema aspect. Plus you'd expect with it already out on digital elsewhere they'll skip the vanilla release and put out the deleted scenes and bloopers straight away.

Agreed it was a mess, and I liked the first two (yes even the second one had its fun moments, the break in to Cassies school was funny.) It affected me getting hyped up for GOTG 3, not really looked at any trailers for that, but I'm hearing some good things so let's hope and see.

The reviews coming in are very positive as a definitive swansong for these charavters. GotG always had the benefit of the last remaining director / writer in the MCU with both carte blanche, and the talent to carry it off. Gunn's departure from Marvel is a net loss for the studio, and if DC cultivate his talent right Marvel could find themselves looking like fools for not keeping him, maybe even giving him a larger role?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The reviews for GOTG are good and all referencing the same common theme, it’s a stand alone property/movie with no connections to the other marvel movies.

No shoe horning, no wink wink nudge nudge references, etc.

This is why the MCU is going to change forever in a couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,968 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Ha. I was scrolling through Twitter about half an hour ago and saw a tweet from the account Rob Delaney set up for it but hadn't really posted on since 2018. Was wondering what the hell was going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,065 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Margot Robbie has been offered the role of Sue Storm, I thought Jodie Comer or Vanessa Kirby were in final talks

Writers strike announced for Hollywood. Depending on how long it goes on for, will almost definitely start affecting release dates for MCU movies and shows. I think they just announced Nic Pizzolatto was joining the writing team for Blade (he worked with Mahershala Ali before on True Detective), so if they're still at that stage and given the delays already, Blade will almost definitely be delayed again. Possibly Thunderbolts too (not sure what stage CA:NWO is at or if they have to shut down during filming if writers are on strike). The last writers strike went on for about 100 days.

Blade very quickly became the most cursed MCU film; it's like the ghost of Wesley Snipes' career saw what they were doing and said "No".

Of all the genres milling about Hollywood right now, there's an argument that Horror is in very rude, creative health; what with some outstanding directors who have crossed over to the mainstream, and two major, credible studios focusing on the genre. A MCU "horror" film increasingly reads as a somewhat Herculean task.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Considering that the last writers strike resulted in some of the worst TV and films ever at that time, this is indeed bad news.

Yeah. I'm fully behind the writers and absolutely hope their demands are all met, as with the previous strike. But can't deny we ended up with a lot of crud because of it. Because even once a deal is struck, there's going to be a huge rush and panic to get things back on track and many studios are likely to just go with anything remotely passable (by their standards).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Shouldn’t affect marvel too much.

1. Pick less known character(s) to insert into the movie of a more established one or pick or a bunch of unknown characters and either bring in or mention a mainstream character to show they are in the marvel universe with our favourite characters
    2. under power the main character to make the newer one relevant
    3. cardboard cut out baddy, maybe have some power our new character has that can help our main super hero but it’s not important, they can just talk or fight their way into the movie if they are irrelevant to the story
    4. The better the villian actor/character , the less you need to worry about using them well
    5. random “oh I didn’t know that actor was in this” character , usually for lols
    6. Fill the middle of the movie with stuff about the new character , exposition and maybe some heart string stuff, “life is hard”..
    7. throw in one or two cardboard villian moments to add tension
    8. main character finds some of their mojo and starts actually making a meaningful contribution to their own movie
    9. finale where cardboard baddy looks like a massive chump and is easily over powered, sometimes by children!
    10. happy chappy end where somebody has maybe learned something that really means f**k all in the scheme of things.

That’s phase 5 movie template right there, don’t need writers for that, just find a cliche book, best uncle jokes book and anybody can cobble something together.

This is why, for instance, Netflix recently announced putting a LOT of money into Korea; they're trying to bolster their output given the coming drought Stateside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Time for AI to shine, churning out generic scripts seems like it would be easy for AI

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,907 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Wasnt that why LOST inserted those two hilarious randomers that everyone despised for a few episodes before killing them and never acknowledging their existence again.

• Advertisement

No, that was the season before the strike. They have no-one to blame but themselves for that one. For Lost, they had to split the next season in two parts and had a shorter season than planned because of the strike.

One of my main memories of the effect of the strike was Heroes, which had an incredible first season. Then the strike happened during the second season, resulting in a new Irish character who was brought to an alternate future, got left there because of the strike, and then when Heroes came back for season 3 after the strike she was just never mentioned again. At least Nikki and Paulo in Lost got a funeral...

Then again, the strike also meant Breaking Bad had a shorter first season than planned, which meant they didn't go through with their plan to have Hank die at the end of the first season, and they then changed their mind and kept him in the show. So it wasn't all bad.

Advertisement