Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

A QUBEV charger can be got on Amazon for €300. Then installation from a sparks. You may not get the grant but it’s a basic charger. Needs to be smart for grant, EEE registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Affluenza

Hi, yeah I remember someone mentioned a similar one a few pages back.

I actually applied for the grant a couple of hours ago and I already have been approved surprisingly. I was expecting it to take a few days. After doing a little more research, I think the wallbox pulsar plus should be sufficient and it seems it now also has an eco mode to allow for solar integration?

From what I can tell, the ohme pro has a better app and mobile data instead of wifi and I would like a charge point that blends in a little so I don't think the zappi would work due to its large size.

I've gone ahead and put in a query with easygo so I'll wait and see what they think :)

Thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Currently charging at home with an EO Mini Pro (Untethered) but hopefully moving house in 10 weeks.

New house has Solar panels, but no car charger. In order to integrate with these panels, do I need anything other than a compatible charger (like a Zappi)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭BobMc

Hi All, head is wrecked here, read back about 12 or so pages, so need some advice, ended up with buying a PHEV as they couldnt source the hybrid version we wanted with no delivery date being offered or even suggested, so PHEV it is, now we would like a charger rather than the granny cable,

Huge range in quotes about online, after having to fork over more money to dealer budget is tight, was hoping for 500/600 after grant, but one quote was 1550, I can buy the charger from that quote for 675, so are they charging that much for labour, not knocking a sparky for his skills etc but as others have said have they jacked it up because of the grant, Any suggestions on better quotes, waiting on quote from Daly Elec. Waterford but am I best just fire away with electric ireland or the like!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,848 ✭✭✭✭josip

Was that quote just for the charger install or did it also include other working bring the house (tails) up to spec? Are you based in the Waterford area? Will you be sourcing your own charger or do you want the installer to supply?

• Advertisement

Looking for installer to do the whole job, hoping electrics wont need any upgrading, dont really want to be going off buying charger etc , just had a feeling the e1500 + quotes are on the high end ? We're in Clare close to Limerick border

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

Normally pretty tech savvy but feel slightly confused on options on wall chargers

2022 plug in hybrid

3 year old house in housing estate so assuming wiring is up to date

Just applied for grant

Looking for good value charger/installer that has some app support

Don't mind paying a but extra for a good one

Any advice?

North County Dublin if it makes any difference

Few quotes I've got and only one has asked about the earth rod, which sods law I cant find, is this going to cause a massive problem at our end?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭VikingG

When was your house built? I would guess that it has been a regulation for 25 years now

2001 or so maybe 2000,had a good look yesterday, unless its buried under grass or something

• Advertisement

Afternoon, I'm in the same boat at the moment. About to book the charger install today and was told the installer will be able to locate the earthing rod if its there. If not, I was told it would be an extra €150 and the installer can go ahead and put one in there and then. Not sure if this is the same for most installers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭D_D

Am I correct in saying that some of the more modern chargers (Wallbox Pulsar Plus, for example) have a separate system meaning that it does not need to have an earthing rod installed?

"Integrated PEN fault protection. No earthing rod needed."

Happy to be told wrong but I've been told by a few installers the earthing rod is still needed due to regulations. Most of the bigger chargers have "no earth rod required" but i was told to ignore this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 PorcoRosso

Am a complete noob in this area so asking for advice. Picking up a car next week and had a crowd out yesterday to fit EV charger. Had sent pics of everything beforehand, but upon coming out, they've said my tails need upgrading from 10mm to 16mm from meter to fuse box?

House was built in the 80s, with a modern extension added recently, but assume the tails work is indeed required for the job. Had recent work on house done where an earth rod was installed, and was told yesterday by the sparky that bonding was fine also. New estimate is an additional €2100 on top of initial quote. Is that about right, it's a shock to the system but if I need to swallow that then needs must?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭slegs

Just for some people who might be interested I was able to buy the Wallbox Pulsar Max (newer version than Pulsar Plus) on Amazon and have installed by carchargers.ie for €600

Pulsar Max was < €600 so total about €1200 and no problem getting the SEAI grant.

Just so people know there is a cheaper way than going for the inflated bundled supply/install offerings

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

10mm is inadequate alright, so it needs doing.

NOTE: If you are paying for a tails upgrade now I'd just get them to increase it to 25mm which would future proof it if you decided you wanted to increase your MIC to 16kVA(Max import current). The difference in price between 16mm cable and 25mm cable wont be alot and running that cable once now, saves you possibly having to do it again in future. You might never need the higher rated cable but at least its done now when they are pulling the cable anyway. Worth asking the question.

€2100 seems steep though but maybe its an awkward job or something. Multiple quotes is the only way you will tell for sure whether that price is gouging or good value and it could be either! 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭Buffman

Ye, assuming your meter and consumer unit are close enough to each other, €2K just to upgrade the tails is hefty, get more quotes.

Sounds more like a PFO quote to me where they don't want to do it. It can be a messy job alright requiring multiple visits and coordinating with ESBN visits as ESBN have to come out to connect the new tails to the meter side.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 PorcoRosso

Thanks @Buffman and @KCross, appreciate you writing back. Will get a few more quotes and see what the story is. Cheers again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭gar

If I get a charger from Amazon and shipped to the north would it still be covered by the grant?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Yea and no, I don’t believe regulations have been updated to allow for devices with PEN protection.

Earth Ross are about €20 they shouldn’t add to much to the price. Maybe an hours labour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭crl84

Question for people who had to get their tails upgraded:

How long did it take, from ringing an REC to the work being finished, and do they, or you, have to contact the ESB and arrange their visit?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,646 ✭✭✭micks_address

so when mine was done last May.. the installer notified ESB networks and I got a letter in the next week or so from ESB networks to contact them to arrange appointment. When I phoned ESB networks I had an appointment in about 10 days after - took about 30 minutes for the ESB engineer to switch them across about 20 minutes power outage

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

I live in a town house with a footpath immediately in front and then a drive in port in front of that. I do have a side entrance. Will I ever be able to charge an electric car at home in this situation? I suspect not as it would involve trailing a cable across the footpath.

Similar setup to this type of house...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

Talk to your management company. I have seen solutions with a kerbside pedestal but the cable is routed through the path so it would involve some digging up and reinstatement.

Do you have an assigned parking space?

You could potentially have a pedestal charger at the edge of the footpath. Ive actually seen a few people charge across the path - one actually had their car right up on it so a pedestrian couldnt even walk past and accidentally fall over the charge cable.

There is no management company. The parking spaces are not numbered so technically they are not assigned as far as I know. Digging up the path sounds like a planning nightmare😲

Not possible in this case I don't think. Even if the car is parked right up to the kerb there is still room for a pedestrian to walk along the path😕

There must be thousands of town houses in the country like this. I'm astonished there is no obvious solution to this😭

This is the main reason I haven't bought an electric car as it's not viable unless it can be charged at home.

the person i had seen had actually parked on the path... with no room to pass the car.. not suggesting it as a way to go.. i think there are 'height' solutions where you can have a swing arm trailing a cable across the path.. it then of course needs to be high enough so someone wont get caught on it.. lots of large housing estates like this.. so has to be some solution..

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Mythago

I have a pedestal charger in the parking space across in front of my house. There is a planning exemption for them and a few companies are doing the install but, expect to pay €2000+ (or 9 months worth of diesel!) Here's one (not mine) from instagram:

Well worth giving them a call for better info.

• Advertisement

Jesus 2k is steep and sure what is to stop anyone else using the charger.

Advertisement